HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

End of the Golden Age?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Fight'n Hampsters

Registration date : 2011-07-28

PostSubject: End of the Golden Age?   Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:42 pm

I started smoking a pipe about 15 years ago and really stepped up my interest and devotion to the hobby about 10 years ago. At that time it seemed like we were in a new renaissance of pipe smoking and interest. The Lord of the Rings movies had come out and (for better or worse) drew many to the hobby. It seemed like new blends were coming of the woodwork all the time. Great offerings from great blenders.

It was also fairly easy to get blends from Europe, even though there were shortages. I lived through the Panzence Pandemic, the FVF Flu, and the Stonehaven Scourge, (just to name a few) where those blends were so desirable and hard to find that people were seemingly willing to pay any price for and ounce.

Now however, things are changing. Many, many blends that are remarkable are going to go extinct. Dunhill is coming to and end. European blends may face more shortages and difficulties in availability due to FDA stuff. Glad I have many of them cellared.

Just doing a little reflecting...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: End of the Golden Age?   Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:02 pm

All good things come to an end..... But I suppose that with every loss there is a new opportunity, yes?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lonecoyote

Registration date : 2016-10-15

PostSubject: Re: End of the Golden Age?   Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:46 pm

That's why whatever blend I enjoy now and can still get my hands on easy enough I keep stocking my cellar. In reality, I want my cellar complete by February 2018, so I don't have to worry about purchasing anymore tobacco's, including any leaf for my own blends.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: End of the Golden Age?   Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:54 pm

I don't care for all these changes either; but I've been sorta pissed off ever since BS 759 disappeared without them clearing it with me first!!! Fortunately, I have stashed away what I believe to be enough 'baccy and cigars to keep me occupied until the angels come a callin'!!!!!! Razz Razz Razz cheers FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lonecoyote

Registration date : 2016-10-15

PostSubject: Re: End of the Golden Age?   Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:47 pm

Good for you FTRPLT, smart man!!

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

End of the Golden Age?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1