HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

D&R blends for RYO

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: D&R blends for RYO   Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:46 pm

Fight'n Hampsters wrote:
It really is great having so many people here who are generous enough to take the time to let us know what they are smoking and what their impressions of them are.  I would be lost and have many more misses than hits if I had to just buy tins that "looked good" without any point of reference. Very Happy

Here, here!
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: D&R blends for RYO   Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:48 pm

Major hurdle overcome. The use of a stiff rolled paper 'tip' will be mandatory from now on. Just rolled my first 100mm and used a pre rolled tip. Huge improvement in ease, durability, duration, etc.

This one was with some of today's shipment of Stokkebye "shribbon" cut blends (half way betwixt ribbon and shag). I tried out the Turkish Export #84 which is very highly touted by all and sundry. It handled in a totally excellent manner. I managed to puff up the heat a bit (I have skills), but overall it was fine.

So, yes to the 100mm...yes to the tips...yes to Stokkebye.

And a note: the D&R is much more coarse cut than the Stokkebye and the PS #84 burned the best and most evenly thus far...BUT...the D&R Ramback (100% Oriental/Turkish) has WAY more to offer in the flavor department I'm thinkin'. IMHO. More testing is needed.  WooHoooo!

Second note: MANY of the reviews I covered today of the Stokkebye Turkish, Norwegian and Danish ribbons were done as a RYO/MYO review. Very frequently the reviewer would mention that the blends just didn't have a profile that did well in a pipe, but when rolled they sang a sweet song. Very different physics.

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: D&R blends for RYO   Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:30 am

where can you still buy Stokkebye shag in the USA?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: D&R blends for RYO   Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:07 pm

Who knows? I'm callin' what I got "shribbon" as it seems finer than the current D&R ribbon but more coarse than shags like Gawith puts out. I got it from P&C I think.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Zeno Marx

PostSubject: Re: D&R blends for RYO   Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:34 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
Who knows? I'm callin' what I got "shribbon" as it seems finer than the current D&R ribbon but more coarse than shags like Gawith puts out. I got it from P&C I think.
Cool. Thanks. I wonder if it is still available wholesale to shops etc. I'm not much of a cigarette smoker. 50g of shag could last me three months. I miss the old days when you could get sweet, pure Turkish shag. When I worked in a pipe shop, we also carried a couple dozen import cigarettes and RYO pouches. There were some FANTASTIC Turkish cigarettes. Balkan Sobranie made an incredible no filter Turkish oval. Turkish Special made a couple different blends that were quite good. I'd like to think they're still sold in Europe and Canada. And of course, we aren't talking the chemical garbage sold under Camel for decades. We're talking fine, unadulterated leaf. The closest I've had since the heydays was Stokkebye Turkish shag.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: D&R blends for RYO   Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:35 pm

Interesting. Times gone by.

Speaking of which...the Picayune smokes arrived via UPS this afternoon. I'm predicting great things with these...the pack and pre light aroma is FANTASTIC! They are king size with what's called (I assume) a red filter. Filters on these things are red, gold and silver...essentially strong, medium and mild...refers to how much "flavor" they let through. Anyway, they are a medium brown in color...filter and tube. The fill level makes the tube very firm...these are not loose by any stretch. They come in a nice flip top box.

Oh boy, oh boy. I can hardly wait. Tomorrow will be a test day, I'm thinkin'.

Gonna get psyched. These have a broad reputation for strength that is akin to a fat bowl of Dark Plug.

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: D&R blends for RYO   Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:09 pm

If one is looking for a decent shag cut, and Turkish leaf, may I suggest:

https://www.leafonly.com/cigarette-tobacco-leaf/tobacco-leaves/izmir-turkish-oriental-tobacco

https://www.leafonly.com/cigarette-tobacco-leaf/tobacco-leaves/semi-oriental-456

https://www.leafonly.com/cigarette-tobacco-leaf/tobacco-leaves/oriental-turkish-tobacco-leaf-yenidje

Using this to process the leaf into 0.8 mm wide strips...

https://www.leafonly.com/cigarette-tobacco-leaf/tobacco-shredders/tabletop-fine-cut-shredder

Took me about a year to go through a pound of Yenidji, but I use it primarily as a condiment to blends.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: D&R blends for RYO   Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:43 pm

So the shredder makes a .8mm ribbon. Is that a shag, or a ribbon cut?
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: D&R blends for RYO   Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:18 am

Most 'ribbon' cuts are 1/16" wide. As I understand it, .8mm is 1/32" wide. My opinion is at it would be considered 'shag' cut. Pretty thin, great for 'rollies'.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: D&R blends for RYO   Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:24 am

Great info. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: D&R blends for RYO   Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:06 am

Up this morning with Watson, out on the deck in the grey light of dawn in PJ's with a blanket over my shoulders, a cup o' joe and a Picayune small cigar burning merrily. Watson is nosing around the tree line, checking for evil doers.

Yeah baby! Great morning. So...as to the Picayune:

Review of factory rolled "small cigar": I ordered a carton of the "small cigars" and could not be more pleased. Size is that of a king size filter cigarette. An ideal item for breaks or dog walking, etc. They are slim-ish and a medium brown color...so they look like a custom cigarette. The flavor is excellent. It is a melange that tastes like VA/Burley/Turkish/Perique (gee!...what a surprise). Lighter than the deep flavor in a bowl, but very pleasant. And without inhaling there is a nice little N afterglow. No complaints here. Totally satisfying.

Watson? Oh, he only smokes the big ones.

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: D&R blends for RYO   Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:45 pm

Peter Stokkebye Norwegian Blend #80.

Reviewed as a RYO: I'm quite surprised that I like this better than the universally beloved Turkish #84. I'm using a 100mm single roll thing with premade tips made by RAW. The result is spectacular. Very nice base notes with Turkish on top, present all the way from start to finish. I think it is the base notes from the Burley that I like so much. The Turkish #84 is brighter. Helga, my mother of Norwegian descent would NOT have approved. But I do.

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Zeno Marx

PostSubject: Re: D&R blends for RYO   Mon May 01, 2017 5:37 pm

I don't believe .8mm is shag. It's that tiny ribbon like some of the cheaper RYO we find in the USA. Those cutters have me very tempted at messing with this, but feeling it isn't true shag is holding me back just enough. Thank goodness. I cannot afford another interest.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: D&R blends for RYO   Mon May 01, 2017 5:47 pm

Fixed resources...expanding interests. Ouch.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Zeno Marx

PostSubject: Re: D&R blends for RYO   Mon May 01, 2017 7:57 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
Fixed resources...expanding interests. Ouch.
It's bad for the materialist and consumer in me, but it is also great for the minimalist in me. I'm very much content with my restraints.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zeno Marx

PostSubject: Re: D&R blends for RYO   Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:28 pm

Are there any other D&R blends that are "match" blends? For instance, Three Sails is said to be Three Castles, which is a VERY good RYO/pipe tobacco. It was always marketed as both, but it was mostly for RYO folks. Highest quality gold virginias. Sweet. Smooth. Medium to full flavor. I was excited to hear of this match today. Any others?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: D&R blends for RYO   Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:44 pm

There was once a 3 Castles, long ago discontinued. Unobtanium. The modern 3 Castles was a redux blended by Mark Ryan of D&R...the savior of Perique. But then that went away as well, sort of. The modern 3 Sails is the exact same blend as the new 3 Castles...not the old one. The current 3 Sails is said to be an English style blend. I don't think it's likened to any other current blend.

Within the other D&R lineup they are all either greatly or a bit different. There are Canadian style VA blends, Burley blends, all or partly Oriental blends (no Latakia), fire cured blends, a Perique blend, etc. I don't know if any of them are clone-ish to other known blends. I don't think they claim to be.

In fact, most blenders of "pipe" tobacco really targeted at dual purpose use claim almost the opposite. Modern cigarette tobacco sold in over the counter brands have TONS of chemical additives and these dual purpose blends sold to "hobbyists" are mostly claimed to be additive free...one of their big draws. American Spirit is one brand that claims natural blends, but one never knows.

I would read reviews on D&R at the Review site and google individual blends. That might give you what you're seeking.

FWIW: the 3 Sails is my favorite. Others I like and that are generally popular on RYO sites are Perhooker (the Canadian style), Venguer, Two Timer, Windsail and of course the Piciyune (Perique). Many, many guys blend their own using the D&R lineup, Stokkebye, GH Kendal Gold, and a few of the value brands that make good blenders like Talon. They do predictable things like 80% VA, 10% Burley, 10% Izmir...etc, etc., etc.

Lastly...and of significant importance are the tubes one stuffs the blend into. There are myriad variations and all are reported to present the blend's flavor profile differently. I've settled on Zen red...a full flavored king size filter tube. You get 250 instead of 200 in a box and they are widely touted as being one of the top items, plus almost every vendor sells them so adding them to a tobacco order makes sense. But I think you can find them on eBay, the best deals usually being 5 boxes with free shipping. A single box is usually just a few bucks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Zeno Marx

PostSubject: Re: D&R blends for RYO   Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:20 pm

Thanks for the rundown. That's disappointing to hear about Three Sails. I know little about the newest versions of Three Castles, but if they aren't the old, original Three Castles, then I'm likely in for a rude awakening. I loved the old stuff.

I agree that not enough credence is given to the paper. I always liked the idea of the glueless Club square papers, but that's where it ended. I didn't care for their flavor. I honestly thought the papers they gave away with Drum were some of the better tasting papers. I know you're talking about tubes, but it's the same deal. Paper is not paper.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DoverPipes

Registration date : 2009-05-24

PostSubject: Re: D&R blends for RYO   Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:00 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
Peter Stokkebye Norwegian Blend #80.

Reviewed as a RYO: I'm quite surprised that I like this better than the universally beloved Turkish #84. I'm using a 100mm single roll thing with premade tips made by RAW. The result is spectacular. Very nice base notes with Turkish on top, present all the way from start to finish. I think it is the base notes from the Burley that I like so much. The Turkish #84 is brighter. Helga, my mother of Norwegian descent would NOT have approved. But I do.

If you dare at $1.50 an ounce at P&C:
https://www.pipesandcigars.com/shop/peter-stokkebye-pipe-cut-tobaccos-only-150-oz/2002013/

I just purchased a bunch of Peter Stokkebye for blending & extending:

80 Norwegian Blend
81 Danish Export
83 Amsterdam
84 Turkish
313 Oriental
701 Virginia

I also grabbed some:
Sutliff Burma Road @$1.83 per oz
Sutliff Balkan II @$2.15 per oz
Balkan Supreme @$2.85 per oz

These Sutliff blends really surprised me. They are very decent on their own and make great blenders & extenders. Decent base to make your own hybrid mixes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: D&R blends for RYO   Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:21 pm

I already have a good supply of the 80 series Stokkebye blends. They are all good. I like the Amsterdam the best of the four. At $1.50/oz. they are a bargain IMHO.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Zeno Marx

PostSubject: Re: D&R blends for RYO   Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:17 pm

I just found that Tabac Manil Semois makes a nice little RYO. quasi-cigarillo like, but not quite.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: D&R blends for RYO   Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:19 pm

So does their Little Robin blended version. A massively expensive cigarette...but worth it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Zeno Marx

PostSubject: Re: D&R blends for RYO   Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:16 pm

There are a couple interviews with Mark Ryan on Pipes Magazine Radio Show podcast. I've only listened to #54 so far. He's also featured on #57, which is solely a deep discussion on perique. One of the more interesting things he mentions is moisture content and why D&R are drier and only 40g tins. I really like this guy, and I appreciate, respect, and admire his motivations. I'm taking him at his word.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: D&R blends for RYO   Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:35 pm

Also sold in larger plastic tubs and pound bags.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Zeno Marx

PostSubject: Re: D&R blends for RYO   Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:28 pm

Mark Ryan on Pipes Magazine Radio Show podcast #57. Great discussion about how he makes perique, the chemistry, the economics around perique, some of the old equipment they use (railroad presses), etc. How when perique almost disappeared in the 90s, someone tried to concoct a liquid perique casing. How other, inferior, untrue periques are made elsewhere. Lots of good stuff there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

D&R blends for RYO
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: The Tobacco Jar-
Jump to: