HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Solani Aged Burley Flake

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Solani Aged Burley Flake   Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:04 pm

Just popped my first tin of this. Dunno the date since I didn't write anything on it, which must mean it was prolly from around '11/'12 or so before I started doing that.

Very rich and deep flavors, burley forward but with a tanginess and complexity I've never before experienced in a burley blend. Quite the total experience and right ready to go out of the tin. Impressive really, and I'm only into the second bowl. There's not many blends I can say that about.

I'll reserve a more thorough review until later, and even then it might not be up to the standards of Jim, Bobby, Drums, BH, or any other of our esteemed reviewers.

In the meantime, colour me impressed right from the get-go. And that's usually an indication that something has caught. Hope it's not down to the production year and the particular crops available at that time. I could see loading up on this.

Any comments?

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Solani Aged Burley Flake   Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:56 am

Can't remember anyone ever saying anything negative about the blend. I've never had it but I have an unopened tin of about that same age, if it matters with burley. Thanks for reminding me; I'll have to try it now, of course.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fsu92john

Registration date : 2014-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Solani Aged Burley Flake   Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:13 am

Brewdude wrote:

Any comments?

I really like it and agree with your observations about its depth and richness. I always have some on hand.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Solani Aged Burley Flake   Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:57 am

I have the same problem with Solani ABF and Wessex Burley Slices, I love the flavor initially but it quickly becomes too strong and I can't get past the half bowl mark. Not strong in nicotine, but the flavors change to 'dark strong' too quickly. Kind of like going from the beginning of a really good cigar to the hour old stub flavors in 10 minutes. At first there is this great, rich oatmeal-like burleyweed wonderfulness in ABF (or rich molasses and barnyard flavor in WBS) and within minutes it's lost that and is just deep, dark and powerful. I get the same thing with MacBaren ODF, GAwHogg Dark Flake, etc.. Luckily I can cruise on for well over an hour with Uhle's Perfection Plug or Newminster Superior Rounds or Stokkebye Pressed Burley. Must be some variety of burley used in WBS and ABF that just doesn't work for me.

Or maybe I should get a little Dunhill group 1 pipe for ABF, they only hold 10 minutes worth of tobacco scratch

Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Solani Aged Burley Flake   Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:52 pm

A very kind BoB user sent me a couple bowls full of it, and it struck me as rather bland. I so very much wanted to find another great gem of tobacco. To be candid, I have some taste issues insofar as needing robust, strong flavors in order to taste at all. I don't have a problem with distinguishing and articulating nuances in flavor, but the overall flavor has to be strong. If that makes any sense to anyone. Might make sense to someone who has experienced allergies that affect smell and taste. I need an 8-10 overall flavor in order to catch the flavors buried at 1-3. Protect the cranium, folks. You don't want concussions. You never know how it will affect your life.

Having said all that, I would like to try it again. My taste perception can vary widely over time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Solani Aged Burley Flake   Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:16 pm

Steve Monjour talked me into trying ABF several years ago after not smoking Burley for over 40 years!!! I really enjoyed the stuff; have 8 tins at the moment (one popped, 7 resting). While several of my tins have a bit of age on them (5-8 years), I've never noticed much difference with them taste wise. Burley just doesn't change much unlike Ginnyweed. There are a few other Solani's I enjoy also, but ABF was the first!! cheers FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Solani Aged Burley Flake
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1