HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Bought a stanwell

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jevverrett

Registration date : 2014-12-13

PostSubject: Bought a stanwell   Wed May 03, 2017 7:34 pm

I purchased one of the vario line they recently released in the 107 variation (lovat). It should be coming in next day or so. I have read they are a decent pipe, for the money. Anyone here who can speak for their character?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Bought a stanwell   Wed May 03, 2017 8:01 pm

I have 2 Stanny's. The first one is a Legend 19 that is from Denmark production. Think I got it new from SP. Fine in all respects, and is dedicated to 5100. Very much a Danish design and have had it for many years. Nice piece of briar.

The second is an estate I got it semi-recently from kaitlyn. It's a Danish Star, again made in Denmark. 1/2 bent apple. Only put a couple bowls through it so far but can see that it'll be a go-to in due course.

I've read that recent production Stanny's (Italian?) aren't up to the same standards as Denmark production but have no experience of this. So I'm sort of on the lookout for estate Stannies from Denmark production.

Think Puff Daddy has a bunch of experience with Denmark Stannies. Maybe he'll weigh in here.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Bought a stanwell   Thu May 04, 2017 1:08 am

Old, Danish-made Stanwells are great. I think they're a cut above Petes and Savs, to compare similar price ranges. I had a bad experience with a Stanwell a few years ago--the q.c. was crap--so I tossed it and swore off Stanwells. That lasted a couple of years until I felt the need for a beater pipe to knock around, and an Italian-made Stanwell current production caught my eye. It's one of the best pipes ever, one of those you can smoke garbage in and it tastes good. So what else can I say...?

I know!...I think old Stanwells are underpriced. I wasn't planning on sharing that bit of wisdom, if that's what it is, but I figure I've got enough pipes already, so take it as ye may, and the devil take the hindmost, or something.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Bought a stanwell   Thu May 04, 2017 4:32 am

My favorite "factory" pipe.  I have a dozen of em.
All of em are older, so Danish.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Old Nate
Not Really Old

Registration date : 2014-08-27

PostSubject: Re: Bought a stanwell   Thu May 04, 2017 7:45 am

Jev, I've had my eye on an estate Stanwell for a while now... I don't own one, but something tells me they would be a very solid pipe. I have some cheap pipes, a few higher end pipes, and several mid range pipes (to me these are Savinelli, Peterson, etc.) and the mid range smokers are by far my favorite... just great everyday pipes that smoke well and are very durable.

This post makes me want to go out and get that Stanwell! My wife will not be pleased... Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jevverrett

PostSubject: Re: Bought a stanwell   Thu May 04, 2017 5:51 pm

I mostly bought it for a work pipe, so it just needs to smoke well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Bought a stanwell   Thu May 04, 2017 7:15 pm

I've owned quite a few. I think the last few years of the Made in Denmark Stanwells were the best factory pipes ever made, given the price. These pipes had excellent draws and quality, comfortable acrylic stems, and they had style. The new Italian made Stanwells are not bad, I've got a couple. They smoke well, better than the Savs and Petes at the same price. They just lack that something special the Denmark Stanwells had.

Jevverrett

PostSubject: Re: Bought a stanwell   Thu May 04, 2017 7:46 pm

I actually just got it now. Not bad. It is pretty cool insofar as the finish. Kind of a half blasted black and tan look. It does lack something just to feel it in hand. It's lighter than it looks maybe. However, the draft hole is big and the drilling is straight. Comfortable it too. I'd say it'll do what I need it to.

I generally smoke the life out of one pipe all day once it's broken in. Work pipes anyway. Then, it gets a week of rest. This ought to be able to do that for awhile. I'm a bit of a murderer when it comes to work pipes. But, that's what they're for right?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Old Nate
Not Really Old

Registration date : 2014-08-27

PostSubject: Re: Bought a stanwell   Fri May 05, 2017 11:10 am

Jevverrett wrote:
I actually just got it now. Not bad. It is pretty cool insofar as the finish. Kind of a half blasted black and tan look. It does lack something just to feel it in hand. It's lighter than it looks maybe. However, the draft hole is big and the drilling is straight. Comfortable it too. I'd say it'll do what I need it to.

I generally smoke the life out of one pipe all day once it's broken in. Work pipes anyway. Then, it gets a week of rest. This ought to be able to do that for awhile. I'm a bit of a murderer when it comes to work pipes. But, that's what they're for right?

Yep! Hammer it!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jevverrett

PostSubject: Re: Bought a stanwell   Fri May 05, 2017 8:10 pm

Having smoked it all day. I'm gonna say it remind me a lot of the savinelli one starter kit pipe I got once, minus the sourness I had before removing the bowl coating. It reminds me a lot of a sav. Which may make sense if they are made in Italy now. Good pipe though, I would recommend them if somebody was asking. Would make a good xmas gift for a pipe curious friend.

I will admit my narrow minded view on them. Probably bc of the price, sadly for me. Opened my eyes a bit to other possibilities. Thanks for the info fellas.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Bought a stanwell
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1