HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

What do we need to stock up re FDA?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Slowroll

Registration date : 2017-05-05

PostSubject: What do we need to stock up re FDA?   Sat May 06, 2017 1:03 pm

Given the FDA intrusion into our lives, does a list of threatened blends from the various companies exist anywhere? If someone could point me in a direction I'd appreciate it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fight'n Hampsters

Registration date : 2011-07-28

PostSubject: Re: What do we need to stock up re FDA?   Sat May 06, 2017 5:22 pm

It would be any blend that was not in production as of Feb 2007.  So if it came out after that date it will have to be discontinued unless the company pays an exorbitant $$ amount to have it registered and tested.

If it was in production before 2/07 but also discontinued before 2/07 then brought back after 2/07 then it will also have to be discontinued. (ie something like Warhorse, or Bengel Slices)

A good way to check is to look on tobaccoreviews.com at a particular blend and sort by date.  If the earliest reviews are post 2/07 then it is more than likely going to get the ax.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slowroll

PostSubject: Re: What do we need to stock up re FDA?   Sat May 06, 2017 6:23 pm

Thanks. I was aware of the 2007 date for c utoff. Nobody but G L Pease has a list of threatened blens? If not, I'll just have to slog thru tobaccoreviews. I didn't thnk of that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fight'n Hampsters

PostSubject: Re: What do we need to stock up re FDA?   Sat May 06, 2017 7:39 pm

Slowroll wrote:
Thanks.  I was aware of the 2007 date for c utoff.  Nobody but G L Pease has a list of threatened blens?  If not, I'll just have to slog thru tobaccoreviews.  I didn't thnk of that.

Yeah, I wish it were easier to find but that is what I have had to do.  Unfortunately for me Pease is my favorite blender so 60% of my favorites will become extinct.  I've had to put alot of $$ into cellering.

I wish more blenders would put out a list like Mr. Pease. Would make things easier.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
joshoowah

Registration date : 2011-09-24

PostSubject: Re: What do we need to stock up re FDA?   Sun May 07, 2017 12:34 pm

I began making a list a couple of years back, but I stopped. I'll give you what I had: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12C2P-12PwZ-DWrsGNV5BP89qoMVgyu0mirM6uqrFGQU/edit?usp=sharing

I didn't look into C&D blends because I don't smoke C&D, but tobaccoreviews is good enough for that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slowroll

PostSubject: Re: What do we need to stock up re FDA?   Sun May 07, 2017 1:17 pm

Joshoowa, thanks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hater

Registration date : 2012-03-20

PostSubject: Re: What do we need to stock up re FDA?   Mon May 08, 2017 8:41 am

As a relatively new cellar-er I have to say that this is all so disappointing to me. For the last couple years I've just been buying a couple blends in bulk but recently I've been starting to spread my wings a bit and have fallen in love with most of the blends, especially the GLPs, that are going to maybe be going away. Wish I had been paying attention sooner. How long do we have before these blends are going to be gone? Is there a date that they have to be off the shelves?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fight'n Hampsters

PostSubject: Re: What do we need to stock up re FDA?   Mon May 08, 2017 9:10 am

Hater wrote:
As a relatively new cellar-er I have to say that this is all so disappointing to me. For the last couple years I've just been buying a couple blends in bulk but recently I've been starting to spread my wings a bit and have fallen in love with most of the blends, especially the GLPs, that are going to maybe be going away. Wish I had been paying attention sooner. How long do we have before these blends are going to be gone? Is there a date that they have to be off the shelves?

I too am a big Pease can. I am not sure but it is sometime in 2018. The deadline to introduce new blends was in about Aug 16, so maybe late summer 18?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
joshoowah

Registration date : 2011-09-24

PostSubject: Re: What do we need to stock up re FDA?   Mon May 08, 2017 11:11 am

Keep in mind, that the FDA regulations have been postponed (check the federal regulations section). I'm not sure how it affects the cutoff date yet, but there may be a bit more time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fight'n Hampsters

PostSubject: Re: What do we need to stock up re FDA?   Mon May 08, 2017 1:11 pm

joshoowah wrote:
Keep in mind, that the FDA regulations have been postponed (check the federal regulations section). I'm not sure how it affects the cutoff date yet, but there may be a bit more time.

Really good news. It's at least a temporary reprieve. There is a link to an article in the Fed laws section of board.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Old Nate
Not Really Old

Registration date : 2014-08-27

PostSubject: Re: What do we need to stock up re FDA?   Wed May 10, 2017 7:40 am

Hater wrote:

Hater, I really like many of the GLP blends, too. Temple Bar that came out last year... great, and I imagine it will be excellent with a few years in the cellar but my favorite Pease blend by far, Quiet Nights, as it stands would get the axe!

On a cheery note, that's an awesome pipe you have in your avatar. Who made it?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hater

Registration date : 2012-03-20

PostSubject: Re: What do we need to stock up re FDA?   Mon May 15, 2017 9:27 am

Old Nate wrote:
Hater wrote:

Hater, I really like many of the GLP blends, too. Temple Bar that came out last year... great, and I imagine it will be excellent with a few years in the cellar but my favorite Pease blend by far, Quiet Nights, as it stands would get the axe!

On a cheery note, that's an awesome pipe you have in your avatar. Who made it?

Thanks! Just a board Karl Erik. Pretty great smoker too. I think it was like 125.00
Back to top Go down
View user profile

What do we need to stock up re FDA?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1