HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Chelsea Morning and Piccadilly

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Fight'n Hampsters

Registration date : 2011-07-28

PostSubject: Chelsea Morning and Piccadilly   Mon May 08, 2017 9:56 pm

Just received in the mail one tin of each to compare.  CM is an extinction blend while P is not.  Want to see if I "need" to buy up some CM for my cellar.  If P is better then I wont have to buy as much as quick.

Both smell great!  Can smell the Lat in CM while P is more "bright" and citrusy smelling. No time to smoke them tonight though.

I have about 3/4 a pound of EMP which is my go to morning blend.  It may be heavily supplemented by one of these new ones.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Old Nate
Not Really Old

Registration date : 2014-08-27

PostSubject: Re: Chelsea Morning and Piccadilly   Tue May 09, 2017 8:47 am

Hope you like them... and for the sake of convenience, I hope Picadilly pushes all the right buttons! If you like a very light English, extremely nuanced, it should be a good one for you! When I do smoke it, the morning seems to be the best time to do so.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fight'n Hampsters

PostSubject: Re: Chelsea Morning and Piccadilly   Tue May 09, 2017 8:52 am

I have to admit, I hope I end up falling in love with Piccadilly for the same reason. I really should stop trying new blends, especially ones that are going away!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Old Nate
Not Really Old

PostSubject: Re: Chelsea Morning and Piccadilly   Tue May 09, 2017 2:57 pm

I know, I have a tin of Chelsea Morning that I've yet to try and I really don't want to feel the NEED to have to stock up on another tobacco that might go away... so I'm just letting it sit. I'm already trying to hoard as much Quiet Nights as possible, and I'm a little tired of trying to track down all these blends I love, that might go away...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fight'n Hampsters

PostSubject: Re: Chelsea Morning and Piccadilly   Tue May 09, 2017 3:16 pm

I hear ya
Back to top Go down
View user profile
idbowman

Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Chelsea Morning and Piccadilly   Wed May 10, 2017 11:07 am

I'm not sure this is really an either/or situation, unfortunately...they're very different blends, to me. Piccadilly is very much a light "breakfast-y" blend, but (despite the name) I've always thought CM was a little richer and deeper to fall into that "morning" smoke. Both are really good, though - if pressed to choose, I'd take Piccadilly.

Regarding CM: I don't suggest smoking it right when you open it. I've done that with two tins and it was like smoking cardboard with just a hint of latakia. A day or two after popping the seal, it breathes a bit and the VA really comes out...it's like smoking a completely different blend than when its freshly popped - it's more than worth the 48 hour wait, IMO.

Of course, for your sake, I hope you fall in love with Piccadilly and find Chelsea Morning to be a revolting mess! Cool

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fight'n Hampsters

PostSubject: Re: Chelsea Morning and Piccadilly   Wed May 10, 2017 12:27 pm

idbowman wrote:
I'm not sure this is really an either/or situation, unfortunately...they're very different blends, to me.  Piccadilly is very much a light "breakfast-y" blend, but (despite the name) I've always thought CM was a little richer and deeper to fall into that "morning" smoke.  Both are really good, though - if pressed to choose, I'd take Piccadilly.

Regarding CM:  I don't suggest smoking it right when you open it.  I've done that with two tins and it was like smoking cardboard with just a hint of latakia.  A day or two after popping the seal, it breathes a bit and the VA really comes out...it's like smoking a completely different blend than when its freshly popped - it's more than worth the 48 hour wait, IMO.

Of course, for your sake, I hope you fall in love with Piccadilly and find Chelsea Morning to be a revolting mess!   Cool

Do you leave the cap off of the tin? I'm assuming you just pop it and leave the plastic lid on, allowing for a little natural ventilation. And yes, it would be better to fall in love with what will be around for a while! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
idbowman

PostSubject: Re: Chelsea Morning and Piccadilly   Wed May 10, 2017 1:47 pm

I pop the tin, fluff the ribbon around a little, then put the plastic lid back on. If I think about it, I'll fluff a little more the next day - it's probably completely pointless to play with the tobacco intermittently but it's a habit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fight'n Hampsters

PostSubject: Re: Chelsea Morning and Piccadilly   Fri May 12, 2017 12:46 pm

Ok so I tried them both, Piccadilly one night then CM the next.

Piccadilly is very, very light, not alot of flavor. Not bad, just different. Hard to explain. It did have hints of citrus to me and was more on the cigarette taste for me. A little grassy. Needs more smoking for me to get a better feel for it. Probably 2/5 stars, could climb to 3/5 with further trials. I would recommend it if you want a very light blend with just a breath of Lat.

CM is billed as light on the Lat, and I'm sure it is. I did not take a shine to it though as my palate is very easily overwhelmed by Latakia.

For me with almost all Lat blends it quickly gets to where it is all I taste and my mouth and tongue feel coated with it, It even feels a little numb if I have too much. This reaction has almost completely pushed me away from all Lat blends.

Unfortunately this happened to me with CM. The Perique was a nice touch but was completely buried under the Lat. 2/5 stars for me, which is good since I would put most other Lats a 1/5.

I will be sticking with EMP so I ordered a pound of it last night while the sale at P&C was still on for bulks.

Never know till you try! As always YMMV.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Old Nate
Not Really Old

PostSubject: Re: Chelsea Morning and Piccadilly   Fri May 12, 2017 2:10 pm

Interesting. Yeah I wouldn't go any higher than 2 out of 4 stars for Piccadilly... just not enough going on and comes across a little weak on all fronts including the virginias. Still haven't had the CM.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
idbowman

PostSubject: Re: Chelsea Morning and Piccadilly   Fri May 12, 2017 2:30 pm

Nate:

Did we (you and I) discuss GLP Blackpoint in another thread some time ago? Or was that maybe someone else (or maybe it was you, but a different blend)? I don't remember.

Anyway, if you find your like the CM but still want "more" Blackpoint is a great blend - the lat is quite heavy, and the perique is very evident. To me, it's what I always wanted Nightcap to be. It doesn't really belong in a thread comparing Piccadilly and Chelsea Morning, as it's nothing like 'em, but I thought I'd mention it as long as CM brings up the topic of GLP Lat/Per blends.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jevverrett

Registration date : 2014-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Chelsea Morning and Piccadilly   Sat May 13, 2017 7:20 am

I have found that a good number a blends can benefit from this practice. Roughing it up some, and let it set for a day and repeat. Maybe there's a little extra moisture added during packing just to be safe.

I too, am not trying new blends that are supposed to go extinct soon. But then again, the FDA backed off us recently so who knows.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Chelsea Morning and Piccadilly
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1