HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Hello. My name is Dino & I have TAD.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bonanzadriver

Registration date : 2017-04-12

PostSubject: Hello. My name is Dino & I have TAD.   Wed May 10, 2017 10:33 am

Being the relative noob here @ BoB, I realize that my modest pipe stable and tobacco crawl space (not big enough to be a cellar Razz ) are really nothing more than a "good start" compared to the briar & leaf collection many of you here have amassed.

Not being one to shy away from a challenge I am doing my dead level best to correct this.

A month or so ago I was perusing ebay looking for "tobacco jars". I wanted a couple of good sized jars for some of my fave's, ya know, MM 965, Frog Morton, Margate, etc...

Well I happened upon a fella in PA that was selling 29 Anchor Hocking Tobacco Jars. The seller didn't want to ship em, and to be frank, he was asking too much for them to begin with. (Ya'll know I'm a csob right?) This guy has an ebay store and is always buying inventory from stores that are going out or are outta business. Over a few days we exchanged several emails and talked on the phone a couple of times.

Oh, did I mention that most of these jars still have tobacco in em? Yup, he bought 29 jars from a C.B. Perkins that went outta business. He's not a pipe smoker and told me that he was probably just gonna "Throw the Stuff Out"! Surprised I know right?!?!? (I think he could sense my TADness over the phone and was just messin with me)

I had him open a couple of the jars and check the tobacco, he stated that it didn't seem dried out at all and some of them were surprisingly moist. I know, I know, what the heck does this guy know right? Regardless, the tobacco, if it's smokeable, is just a bonus, I was really after the jars.

Oh, and it just so happens that my 24 y.o. son Seth was on an assignment up there, not more than an hour from where this fella was located, so there goes my "how in the heck am I gonna get these without driving 8 hours each way" problem".

So, over the last month or so I've been kinda keepin an eye on things up in PA, and after talking to my son and learning that this was his last week up there, I decided to reach out and check on the jars again.

Long story short, we came to an agreement over the weekend and Seth met the gentleman yesterday afternoon and picked em up for me.

Seth and my prized cargo should arrive @ our house this coming Sunday or Monday.

Now, I've just gotta figure out where to put all of this stuff.

The modest beginnings of a "Tobacco Shelf"... The top one on the left, a couple of months ago.

The haul from the TAPS show last month...

The Tobacco Shelves as they appear now...

The latest acquisition... Looks like I'm gonna need a couple more shelves...

Back to top Go down
View user profile
idbowman

Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Hello. My name is Dino & I have TAD.   Wed May 10, 2017 11:03 am

That last picture is downright impressive! All that in about a month (if I'm reading the post correctly)? Well done!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Hello. My name is Dino & I have TAD.   Wed May 10, 2017 11:07 am

I believe that is what called a "score!" by those suffering from the same disorder. That type of jar works quite well for my purposes. Generous quantity, decent seal, ready access.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bonanzadriver

Registration date : 2017-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Hello. My name is Dino & I have TAD.   Wed May 10, 2017 12:49 pm

@idbowman,

The first two pictures represent about 4 months of tobacco acquisition. Many of the jars only have an ounce or so left in them. Sad Several are packed full though. Very Happy

The 29 jars were a lucky find. Made even more fortunate by the fact that the gentleman selling them didn't want to ship em, local pickup only, and the fact that my son was in the area.

In the end I picked em all up for less than $4 per jar, the tobacco was just an added bonus. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Hello. My name is Dino & I have TAD.   Wed May 10, 2017 3:31 pm

Well done Dino. Looks like you've a great start on building your cellar.

Cool

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Slowroll

Registration date : 2017-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Hello. My name is Dino & I have TAD.   Thu May 11, 2017 10:30 am

As another recent TAD victim, I'm jealous. Here I am just buyin' mason jars to pack my TAD symptoms in. Here's a list of recent aquisitions to fuel my search for the ultimate Balkan replacement for Balkan Sobranie 759. I know, you young pups out there are sayin' "Jeezus, another geezer whining about BS759." well, to you I say " PLease do someting anatomically impossible and bugger off! " affraid

I'll do my best in tthe interests of research into the deepest regions of TAD.

GLP Westminster
GLP Charing Cross
H&H White Knight
H&h blackhouse
GLP Lagonda
GLP Gaslight
GLP quiet Nights flake
C&D Super Balkan
C&D Mississippi Mud
C&D Star of the East
GLP Quietnights
C&D Byzantium
McCl Yenice Agonya
Frog Morton
Squadron leader
Smokers Haven Exotique
Dan bill Baileys balkan blend
H&H White Kight
H&H Blackhouse
H&H Magnum Opus
H&H Larry’s Blend
P&C Match: BSOM
F&K Sterling Balkan
GLP Abingdon
GLP Blackpoint
McCl Full Balkan Reserve
McCl Black Beauty
Captan Earles Ten Rusians
Butera royalVintage Latakia #1
C&D Odessa
McCl Dark English FullG&W Balkan Mixture #1
C&D London Squire
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slowroll

Registration date : 2017-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Hello. My name is Dino & I have TAD.   Thu May 11, 2017 10:36 am

Forgot to mention, the comparisons got a bit easier since I unearthed a 20+ year old tin of Ballan Sobranie 759 the other day. cheers that I forgot I had. What a wonderful smoke still.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Hello. My name is Dino & I have TAD.   Thu May 11, 2017 11:18 am

Good grief! TAD outta control!!!

(Though I must confess to be returning home with 25 pounds of nicely aged hands of organic Virginia leaf needing attention)

Good scores on the jars, and the bonus tobacco!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
arkansaspiper

Registration date : 2016-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Hello. My name is Dino & I have TAD.   Fri May 19, 2017 12:20 am

No one said it so I wil....... hi dino it's what you say when you go to a meeting duh lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Hello. My name is Dino & I have TAD.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: PAD & TAD-
Jump to: