HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Matt Baker: The Art of Glamour

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
JimInks

Registration date : 2012-08-31

PostSubject: Matt Baker: The Art of Glamour   Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:48 pm

Some of you may know that besides being a cartoonist, I'm also a comic book historian, and associate editor of Alter Ego magazine, which is dedicated to comics history. I've written or co-written four books, and edited/ co-wrote the book on which my friend Ian McDowell based this article concerning artist Matt Baker. The book is Matt Baker: The Art of Glamour.

Here is a link to the article where I am prominently mentioned:
yesweekly.com/piedmont-born-comic-book-pioneer-matt-baker/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fight'n Hampsters

Registration date : 2011-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Matt Baker: The Art of Glamour   Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:14 pm

Really cool! thanks for the link
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Matt Baker: The Art of Glamour   Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:21 pm

Very cool. A great talent. Thanks for posting. Re his ability to draw wimmin so well: Gay, you say? Apparently that didn't hinder his ability to draw fetching damsels. I mean, he wasn't blind. Laughing Cool

http://yesweekly.com/piedmont-born-comic-book-pioneer-matt-baker/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Matt Baker: The Art of Glamour   Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:40 pm

Very cool link Jim.

So, what do you think about the contemporaries in your day and age? Such as Al Capp, Walt Kelly, Schulz, and the like?

Question

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
GrampaGrossbart

Registration date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Matt Baker: The Art of Glamour   Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:24 am

JimInks wrote:
Some of you may know that besides being a cartoonist, I'm also a comic book historian, and associate editor of Alter Ego magazine, which is dedicated to comics history. I've written or co-written four books, and edited/ co-wrote the book on which my friend Ian McDowell based this article concerning artist Matt Baker. The book is Matt Baker: The Art of Glamour.

Here is a link to the article where I am prominently mentioned:
yesweekly.com/piedmont-born-comic-book-pioneer-matt-baker/

Man, that's a cool article--I've seen Matt Baker's work of course but had no idea he had such an interesting backstory...or that you did! Huge Roy Thomas fan since I was a nipper, must be a cool guy to work with. Will look for Alter Ego next time I'm in the comic shop.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JimInks

PostSubject: Re: Matt Baker: The Art of Glamour   Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:56 pm

Brewdude wrote:
Very cool link Jim.

So, what do you think about the contemporaries in your day and age? Such as Al Capp, Walt Kelly, Schulz, and the like?

Question

Cheers,

RR

Apologies for the late reply. The question you ask is wide enough to write a book about. I honestly don't know to begin answering it, except to say they did classic work, and Al Capp was a strange man. There's a book out about him, though I haven't picked it up, that covers his life. The stories I've heard about Capp are not suitable for this forum.

Schulz was amazing because nobody helped him do one single strip. He wrote, drew, lettered and colored every single Peanuts strip without help for 50 years. The others you mention had tons of help.

Kelly's Pogo is being reprinted from the beginning of the strip. I don't know much about him personally.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Matt Baker: The Art of Glamour   Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:05 pm

JimInks wrote:
Brewdude wrote:
Very cool link Jim.

Question

Cheers,

RR

Apologies for the late reply. The question you ask is wide enough to write a book about. I honestly don't know to begin answering it, except to say they did classic work, and Al Capp was a strange man. There's a book out about him, though I haven't picked it up, that covers his life. The stories I've heard about Capp are not suitable for this forum.

Schulz was amazing because nobody helped him do one single strip. He wrote, drew, lettered and colored every single Peanuts strip without help for 50 years. The others you mention had tons of help.

Kelly's Pogo is being reprinted from the beginning of the strip. I don't know much about him personally.

I appreciate the reply Jim.

Yes, Capp was a strange guy. And while his strips were great in all aspects, his personal motivations and political beliefs made him a lightning rod back in the day. Talk about non-pc! But that wasn't much of an issue back then. Not like today. More than that I won't go into here. Not germane.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
JimInks

PostSubject: Re: Matt Baker: The Art of Glamour   Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:23 pm

Brewdude wrote:
JimInks wrote:
Brewdude wrote:
Very cool link Jim.

Question

Cheers,

RR

Yes, Capp was a strange guy. And while his strips were great in all aspects, his personal motivations and political beliefs made him a lightning rod back in the day. Talk about non-pc! But that wasn't much of an issue back then. Not like today. More than that I won't go into here. Not germane.

Cheers,

RR

It's been a long time since we chatted. Give me a call and I'll tell you a couple Capp stories. Can't print them here due to the salacious content.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Matt Baker: The Art of Glamour   Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:55 pm

JimInks wrote:
Brewdude wrote:
JimInks wrote:
Brewdude wrote:
Very cool link Jim.

Question

Cheers,

RR

Cheers,

RR

It's been a long time since we chatted. Give me a call and I'll tell you a couple Capp stories. Can't print them here due to the salacious content.

Will do Jim. And it's patently obvious that I've chosen to a Capp character for my current avatar. Those of us who know his work will recognise this. No other explanation necessary, expect to say that I've been accused of this in the past and figure I should own up to it!

bom

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Matt Baker: The Art of Glamour   Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:00 pm

An excellent article; sorry I didn't see it sooner!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Matt Baker: The Art of Glamour   Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:57 pm

Brewdude wrote:
JimInks wrote:
Brewdude wrote:
JimInks wrote:
Brewdude wrote:
Very cool link Jim.

Question

Cheers,

RR

Cheers,

RR

Will do Jim. And it's patently obvious that I've chosen to a Capp character for my current avatar. Those of us who know his work will recognise this. No other explanation necessary, expect to say that I've been accused of this in the past and figure I should own up to it!

bom

Cheers,

RR

Really great to chat and catch up today Jim.  We need to do this more often!

Cool

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down

Matt Baker: The Art of Glamour
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1