HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

What do you do for a living

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
RealtorFrank

Registration date : 2010-11-21

PostSubject: Re: What do you do for a living   Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:44 pm

I'm a Realtor and an Auctioneer with RE/MAX!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.franksellsnashville.com/
Tim_Haggerty

Registration date : 2010-06-11

PostSubject: Re: What do you do for a living   Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:53 am

I was trained as a historian and now work in academic administration.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bazsup

Registration date : 2008-08-11

PostSubject: Re: What do you do for a living   Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:06 pm

Hey Othr, I spent 12 years as a high school band director. Good way to make a living I think. I think back to those good old days. Glad to see a fellow band guy and pipe smoker on here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hobie1dog

Registration date : 2010-06-21

PostSubject: Re: What do you do for a living   Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:11 pm

bazsup wrote:
Hey Othr, I spent 12 years as a high school band director. Good way to make a living I think. I think back to those good old days. Glad to see a fellow band guy and pipe smoker on here.

Did you get burned out?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sstodvictory

Registration date : 2009-12-05

PostSubject: Re: What do you do for a living   Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:31 pm

Senior R&D manager of biotechnology development for industries engaged in large-scale manufacturing of chemicals and biofuels using microbial processes. Currently unemployed and looking for the next great opportunity. Had a secure job with a fortune 500 company, then joined a biotech startup for 3 years, and here I am.

One benefit to being unemployed...my PAD is in check...almost...bought two pipes recently.

Steve
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bazsup

Registration date : 2008-08-11

PostSubject: Re: What do you do for a living   Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:50 pm

Hobie,

Didn't get burned out but became a school superintendent (couple of administrative jobs between here and there). We all make choices, I often regret giving up band directing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lbiislander

Registration date : 2010-10-16

PostSubject: Re: What do you do for a living   Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:10 pm

I currently own a small boutique wine/liquor store. I say currently because the economy is about to force me (and my small but dedicated staff) to unemployment. I think the lower Hudson Valley all went to the same AA meeting!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dbreazeale

Registration date : 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Re: What do you do for a living   Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:54 pm

hobie1dog wrote:
bazsup wrote:

Did you get burned out?

I think he graduated. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hobie1dog

Registration date : 2010-06-21

PostSubject: Re: What do you do for a living   Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:52 am

I need a graduation then, I'm definitely burned out...crispy-crittter, somebody eject me out of this toaster I'm stuck in. Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile
smokey1

Registration date : 2010-11-01

PostSubject: Re: What do you do for a living   Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:27 pm

hobie1dog wrote:
I need a graduation then, I'm definitely burned out...crispy-crittter, somebody eject me out of this toaster I'm stuck in. Shocked

I have been doing the samething for a number of years and I too can say it gets old sometimes but I like to eat and sleep under a roof, you have to work to be a productive member of society. I just don't understand guys who complain about a job that all they have to do is leave, if you are not leaving, how bad could it be? Maybe you just don't like to work? Maybe you just like to complain? No offense at all but just leave if it is as bad as you say. Again, no offense meant just my opinion.

Ricky Webb (smokey1)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Greenleaf

Registration date : 2010-04-05

PostSubject: Re: What do you do for a living   Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:52 pm

Right, Smokey, it gets old every day. Work was meant to suck, hence the term "work."

I'm a night stocker at a supermarket, used to work front end, dairy, and produce. Before that, I was a cashier for seven years, six of them in fast food. Worked nights at a c-store for less than two weeks after that, it ended with me getting robbed and subsequently fired. Been in retail hell for eleven years, what can I say, it's a living not a career.

Holidays suck in particular, but I like the extra pay.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://thegreenleaffiles.blogspot.com
Blue Max

Registration date : 2010-05-10

PostSubject: Re: What do you do for a living   Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:22 pm

This is a great thread, lots and lots of experience here from all sides.

I started out in the restaurant business as an employee, then ran two of my own restaurants until the "best friend" I was running them with turned. Went into University catering then Corporate cafeterias. I won't do the latter again. decided to change careers so I became a computer trainer with CompUSSR and have been in Career Education since. I do lots of IT stuff on the side and sell my salsa every chance I get.

Looking forward to the next adventure.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Greenleaf

Registration date : 2010-04-05

PostSubject: Re: What do you do for a living   Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:16 pm

Blue Max wrote:

I started out in the restaurant business as an employee, then ran two of my own restaurants until the "best friend" I was running them with turned. Went into University catering then Corporate cafeterias. I won't do the latter again. decided to change careers so I became a computer trainer with CompUSSR and have been in Career Education since. I do lots of IT stuff on the side and sell my salsa every chance I get.

I look forward to starting my real career--wait, that'd just be another job to suffer through. Guess I'm really looking forward to retirement--no, I'll just have to work myself to death. Okay, I'm looking forward to my next day off, this Tuesday. That'll do it, and getting my check on Wednesday.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://thegreenleaffiles.blogspot.com
Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: What do you do for a living   Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:39 pm

Greenleaf wrote:
Blue Max wrote:

I look forward to starting my real career--wait, that'd just be another job to suffer through. Guess I'm really looking forward to retirement--no, I'll just have to work myself to death. Okay, I'm looking forward to my next day off, this Tuesday. That'll do it, and getting my check on Wednesday.

Same here!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thomas Tkach

Registration date : 2010-11-24

PostSubject: Re: What do you do for a living   Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:30 pm

I wash windows in a small town, but I plan on going to seminary in the fall, and hope to be a professor some day. I want to train pastors abroad, actually, and may get my first chance on a trip to Zambia this coming spring.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/tkachta1
ruraldean

Registration date : 2009-03-24

PostSubject: Re: What do you do for a living   Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:11 am

In an update to my previous post on this thread (which BTW was two years ago) I run a copywriting, web development and graphic design business, started from scratch just after my last post.

I work with my son (he started this month) and a graphic designer.

I do the writing and web design, and I'm glad to have escaped the corporate world.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://crimsonleaf.co.uk http://paulanthonydean.wordpress.com
msmith1956

Registration date : 2011-06-10

PostSubject: Re: What do you do for a living   Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:48 pm

I've been an overnight stocker at Wally world for the past 4 years.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/w4mms
Guy

Registration date : 2011-06-07

PostSubject: Re: What do you do for a living   Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:21 pm

Performer and Teacher of Classical Guitar
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cakeanddottle

Registration date : 2011-03-21

PostSubject: Re: What do you do for a living   Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:25 pm

Corporal at a 1400 bed county corrections facility and active Fraternal Order of Police union member. Blame the bad economy and two years of promotion freezes for no Sergeant. Now I think I'll just keep my seniority and ride out my last 10 as a Corporal so I don't miss my youngest's childhood from getting bumped to 3-11s.

Also amateur web designer, and Dr. Vapenstein at vapenstein.com. Also, along with my fantastically gifted partner Donley, we make the world's best tobacco extracts for use in E Liquid, available through our site at want2vape.com.

The important job titles are father and husband though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://cakeanddottle.com
Preacher

Registration date : 2011-06-23

PostSubject: Re: What do you do for a living   Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:51 pm

I'm a preacher and also own and run a Christian daycare. I do some photography on the side. I got tired of being offered low paying jobs (I have an MBA) and am finally doing what I love. Life is good.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Muddler

Registration date : 2008-05-22

PostSubject: Re: What do you do for a living   Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:26 pm

ruraldean wrote:
In an update to my previous post on this thread (which BTW was two years ago) I run a copywriting, web development and graphic design business, started from scratch just after my last post.

I work with my son (he started this month) and a graphic designer.

I do the writing and web design, and I'm glad to have escaped the corporate world.

Good to hear you bounced back so well Paul - good stuff!

I too have changed careers. I've moved into management consulting after our little family business went on the skids. I'm loving it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LIPIPE

Location : Setauket,Long Island and upstate Granville, New York
Registration date : 2010-12-18

PostSubject: Re: What do you do for a living   Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:33 am

Today is Wednesday. I'm an Internal Revenue Service Tax Examiner. At the end of the day on Friday.....I'm happily *****RETIRED****!!!!

I've been a hospital administrator, a clinical practice administrator, a university program administrator, an undergrad and graduate instructor, a public school district administrator, a volunteer police officer just for the fun of it for over fifteen years, and now I'm wrapping up as a Tax Examiner.

Ask what I've done for a living? Everything. Now I'm going to be a pension collector and how sweet it will be. As of Tuesday (Monday is a legal holiday) I'm a full time pipe smoker and scotch tasting officionado. My outgoing voice mail message at the office is "Gone Smok'in and Drink'in. I'll return your call if I feel like it but don't count on it."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Muddler

Registration date : 2008-05-22

PostSubject: Re: What do you do for a living   Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:44 am

Nice LIP! Enjoy your retirement bud!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: What do you do for a living   Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:39 pm

Congrats LIPIPE! I´m only 43 but am already looking forward to retirement! LOL!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Preacher

Registration date : 2011-06-23

PostSubject: Re: What do you do for a living   Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:41 pm

I don't ever plan on retiring. I love what I do!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

What do you do for a living
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next