HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

What do you do for a living

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
Paul 2.0

Registration date : 2011-10-27

PostSubject: Re: What do you do for a living   Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:36 am

Blackthorn wrote:
Currently looking for a part-time day job, but my full-time passion is music. I play bass in a local band.
Dude I live 10 miles from you....what band? I am working with a local guitarist on some stuff...mostly death metal though
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: What do you do for a living   Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:29 am

Nice thread.

I am a managing partner in a small company with my father that does mergers and acquisitions, due diligence and property assessment for small and mid-sized precious metal mining companies. We do everything from mapping to soil sampling, drill project set-up and legal paperwork set-up. In a nutshell, I get paid to hike, eat in greasy diners, sleep in uncomfortable beds and help get the ball rolling for industrial jobs to be created.

I refurbish and repair old synthesizers, both digital and analog. I also play them in personal and collaborative band projects.

I am also a coffee roaster. I am currently training to roast fine medium-roast espressos for a small outfit here in Reno. I'm helping to show the world coffee doesn't have to be overroasted crap you dump tons of sugar and milk into. It's as refined as tea, tobacco, beer, wine and spirits.

I'm a contracted artist and writer on occasion, but far less these days as I have a great, budding career to pursue in the mining industry! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: What do you do for a living   Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:58 am

Historian, specializing in 20th century Britian, but I've taught almost everything except Latin American and African American courses at some point (along with basic PoliSci & Philosophy). After a few years of 1 year jobs (upstate NY, Charleston SC, western PA, central Florida) I landed in New Orleans, where I stayed until Katrina flooded the University and 60% of us were laid off for a year. Happy to be in W-S, NC now.

For fun, I've run written/run an internet glossary, written a wine column, painted, etc. Glad now to be devoting a lot of attention to the pipe again!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
Josjor

Registration date : 2011-07-27

PostSubject: Re: What do you do for a living   Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:05 am

I own a music store. Band instruments, guitars, pro-audio, keyboards, drums.......that kind of music store. Been doing it off and on since 1984 and when my old boss decided to retire in '06, my wife and I bought the shop.

A really smart move: buy a retail shop that sells something no one needs to survive, just before a major recession.Very Happy Shocked Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cakeanddottle

Registration date : 2011-03-21

PostSubject: Re: What do you do for a living   Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:19 am

nauticalwheeler wrote:
Please don't hate me. I am a ........banker. Neutral

I will save my disdain for the doctors, lawyers and politicians. Banker is an honest profession.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://cakeanddottle.com
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: What do you do for a living   Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:38 am

Josjor wrote:
I own a music store. Band instruments, guitars, pro-audio, keyboards, drums.......that kind of music store. Been doing it off and on since 1984 and when my old boss decided to retire in '06, my wife and I bought the shop.

A really smart move: buy a retail shop that sells something no one needs to survive, just before a major recession.Very Happy Shocked Rolling Eyes

Need to survive? No.

Need to really live? Yes.

My BA in music taught me a lot more than just the music
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
Josjor

PostSubject: Re: What do you do for a living   Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:21 am

DrT999 wrote:
Josjor wrote:

Need to survive? No.

True dat, and I don't regret a thing. But as a retailer.........nobody ever died for lack of a saxophone. Musical instruments are discretionary spending and in a recession its one of the first things to go. '11 has been better than '09 or '10, but we are still a LONG ways from '08 numbers.

Hopefully the light at the end of the tunnel isn't a train.Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: What do you do for a living   Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:14 am

Josjor wrote:
DrT999 wrote:
Josjor wrote:

Need to survive? No.

True dat, and I don't regret a thing. But as a retailer.........nobody ever died for lack of a saxophone. Musical instruments are discretionary spending and in a recession its one of the first things to go. '11 has been better than '09 or '10, but we are still a LONG ways from '08 numbers.

Hopefully the light at the end of the tunnel isn't a train.Very Happy

Hang in there! The demise of the neighborhood music shops is terrible, along with all the other mom and pop businesses.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: What do you do for a living   Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:39 pm

Josjor wrote:

Glad someone's selling the key to creative aural happiness... I'd shop at your store! cheers cheers You'll make it. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stackle2

Registration date : 2011-11-03

PostSubject: Re: What do you do for a living   Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:28 pm

Career Soldier here.

Originally an infantryman, reclassed to a more technical field now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: What do you do for a living   Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:32 pm

Stackle2 wrote:
Career Soldier here.

Originally an infantryman, reclassed to a more technical field now.

You, sir, do some real work!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stackle2

Registration date : 2011-11-03

PostSubject: Re: What do you do for a living   Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:48 pm

The older I get, the more it seems that the Army is the place for me. I actually enjoy my work, I am good at what I do, & it provides for my family. Not a whole lot more that you can ask for, & certainly more than a lot of careers offer.

Never thought I would be a career Soldier, but I guess I recently made up my mind, as a week ago I reeenlisted again, for another 6 years, which puts me 3 years from retiremet. Not bad though, will retire at 42, my son will be 11 then, & I will be able to spend a lot of time with him.

On the other hand, the sacrifices are painful. I am almost done with a deployment, & I have an 8 month old son. Thank god for skype, but its bittersweet to watch your kids first time crawling on a laptop.

Good news is that the unit I reenlisted for doesn't go overseas, so the next few years I'll get to spend with my family.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Josjor

PostSubject: Re: What do you do for a living   Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:32 am

First off, thanks for your service, Stackle.

Secondly, hang in there. I enlisted in the USAF in 1986 and there are quite a few days when I remember that I chose to get out in 1990 and I think to myself "I could have been retired right now" after a bad day of work.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
christeaux

Registration date : 2011-12-09

PostSubject: Re: What do you do for a living   Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:27 am

I am a United States Marine. I enjoy it but it is stressful, though that is a good thing because it always gives me a great reason to smoke my pipes. Not that I really need a reason to pull out a pipe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: What do you do for a living   Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:25 am

christeaux wrote:
I am a United States Marine. I enjoy it but it is stressful, though that is a good thing because it always gives me a great reason to smoke my pipes. Not that I really need a reason to pull out a pipe.

Thank you for what you do. Pipe with relaxation in honor, sir. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
greasemunki85

Registration date : 2010-08-25

PostSubject: Re: What do you do for a living   Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:32 pm

Im a diesel technician for the 3rd largest transportation company in north america. Ive been with them, ever since we were in a small 2 bay shop, now we are in a 16 bay, 12.5 mil. dollar facility. Ive seen alot of changes, both good and bad.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: What do you do for a living   Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:10 pm

Thought I had already posted here .......must have been a different forum or I'm getting old.
I started in the work force when I was 15 years old and like a lot of you all, have done many things in my life to make a buck from dig'en ditches to bench tech. Hated most of it till I got a job at a trucking company as a loader and after a year they shoved in a cab of truck and I didn't get out of it for about 25 years. Pulled tankers, and dry vans mostly for a common carrier, local shag and OTR and then a Leasing company were I was leased to C&H sugar, Mobile oil, Kodak and ending with Coca Cola OTR. Being the hermit I am I loved driving for a living until the bottom fell out and DOT got nastier, etc. etc. and shortly after I couldn't pass a DOT physical anymore because my vision went. Got a job as a collector for about 2 -3 years and then my back went. I was diagnosed having Degenerative Disk and have been retired now for about three years.
I miss driving The Large Car (semi) but not the traffic or the people, had some good times and had some tough ones. But all in all I'm glad to be retired and not coming home after a trip with tombstones in my eyes.
I finally have time to do the things I want to do and take it easy. Life is good and simple.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
inshane64

Registration date : 2011-09-25

PostSubject: Re: What do you do for a living   Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:26 pm

I am a recently disabled welder. I hope to overcome my ailment, and get back in the game soon.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Doc Manhattan

Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: What do you do for a living   Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:14 am

Starting a new job today as an ERM trainer for the big local hospital group.

It is a little complicated on the computer side of things, but the end result for you guys (the patients) is fewer times having to fill out that @#$%* clipboard of medical info.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=808
Airborne

Registration date : 2011-07-06

PostSubject: Re: What do you do for a living   Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:49 am

=

Last edited by Airborne on Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Airborne

Registration date : 2011-07-06

PostSubject: Re: What do you do for a living   Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:09 am

=

Last edited by Airborne on Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: What do you do for a living   Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:40 am

Retired... not a bad job, the pay sucks a bit though. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
roogles

Registration date : 2011-12-13

PostSubject: Re: What do you do for a living   Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:52 pm

I'm a network engineer and linux sys-admin for a medium sized telco in Southern Ohio - been here for 11 years. This has been my only post-college job.

I got my Cisco Certification (CCNA) about a year ago, and spend most of my time engineering or troubleshooting networks for small to medium sized businesses who use our fiber-based ISP service.

In layman's terms - I make the internet work.

I'm also the local Apple Guru, and provide top level tech support for in house Apple products, mac laptop and desktop repair, iPhones, iPads, etc.

Cheers!

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://blog.roogles.com
docwatson

Registration date : 2008-03-21

PostSubject: Re: What do you do for a living   Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:01 pm

welcome roogles,
Good to have an Apple Guru here, enjoy the forum.
DocW
Back to top Go down
View user profile
roogles

Registration date : 2011-12-13

PostSubject: Re: What do you do for a living   Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:08 pm

docwatson wrote:
welcome roogles,
Good to have an Apple Guru here, enjoy the forum.
DocW

Thanks Doc! Very glad to be around here. I'm learning so much and picking up information so fast I'm on a bit of an information overload.

Good folks here. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://blog.roogles.com

What do you do for a living
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 8 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next