HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Stonehenge Flake

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Fight'n Hampsters

Registration date : 2011-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Stonehenge Flake   Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:50 pm

Finally got around to it.

Tin note definitely has a coco scent to it but that is almost non existent once it is lit. I agree with D&B that it is a very mild smoke with light floral notes that fade just a tad at about the mark but remains present.

I think this is my first "Lakeland" blend and I can see what all the hub-bub (both ways) is about. Not one that will be in my regular rotation, kinda so-so. All around it is very mild and soft in every area.

I could see this being a good intro to Lakeland blends, but again this is coming from a guy that has never had one before. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Stonehenge Flake   Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:52 pm

Are we talking a floral note akin to Bengal Slices, or some other, unrelated floral-like note?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Stonehenge Flake   Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:28 pm

Zeno,

I have never smoked Bengal Slices, but if you've smoked any of the Gawith Hoggarth scented flakes you'll have a good idea of what to expect.

Stonehenge's aroma is kind of blossom like and definitely in the realm of Kendal, Grasmere, Louisiana, Brown Flake, Rum Flake and Scotch Flake. Not as heavily scented as a few of these, but surely in the ballpark.

Another thing I'll mention, is that like Louisiana Flake I find the effect of the added cocoa topping distracting. It smells great in the tin, but it adds a certain element to the smoke that I find to be a wee bit irritating. Reading other reviews, I seem to be in the minority regarding this and it's likely a body chemistry thing.

Anyway, 4 bowls into this tin and my impression is still the same as two days ago. I am about to jar this up and put it in the cupboard for a spell.

PM me if you want a sample...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fight'n Hampsters

PostSubject: Re: Stonehenge Flake   Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:39 pm

Sorry Zeno, never had Bengal Slices.

Not "old Lady perfume" but maybe a wee bit "soapy." Floral is a good adjective.  Never had a Lakeland, s nothing to compare it to but what D&B has been writing seems to sum up my impressions pretty well.

Last edited by Fight'n Hampsters on Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Stonehenge Flake   Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:46 pm

I hadn't noticed a floral note to Bengal Slices, but then I don't really notice it in BCF either. Just a vague light sweetness....

An associate of mine says he ran bowls of Stonehenge against GH and Co.'s Louisiana Flake and swears they are identical. I like the Louisiana Flake. Perhaps I will like Stonehenge as well?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fight'n Hampsters

PostSubject: Re: Stonehenge Flake   Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:34 pm

Ozark Wizard wrote:
I hadn't noticed a floral note to Bengal Slices, but then I don't really notice it in BCF either. Just a vague light sweetness....

An associate of mine says he ran bowls of Stonehenge against GH and Co.'s Louisiana Flake and swears they are identical. I like the Louisiana Flake. Perhaps I will like Stonehenge as well?

Several reviews online make the same claim.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Stonehenge Flake   Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:48 pm

I don't think I would have described Bengal Slices as floral on my own, but after someone else applied that descriptor, I see it. I would say the same about calling some of the most luxurious English blends of days' past as "soapy", but I definitely understand what is meant by it. So yeah, floral makes this interesting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Stonehenge Flake   Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:46 pm

1st try of Stonehenge Flake this evening, and first impressions: the tin note was pretty strong cacao, stronger than Louisiana Flake (which is barely noticeable), about the same as GH's Scotch Flake. However, while noticeable throughout the bowl (to me, Louisiana Flake only occasionally whispers it), it isn't that pronounced. For me, this is like 50% Scotch Flake (minus a hint of vanilla), 25% Louisiana Flake, with some earthy (Burley perhaps) tobacco and a touch of extra Perique added for the rest. I look forward to see how the tin develops now that it's open.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
JimInks

Registration date : 2012-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Stonehenge Flake   Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:44 am

I just got some of the new Stonehenge, some G&H Louisiana Flake, and some of the original Stonehenge. I'm going to see what the differences may be.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
JimInks

Registration date : 2012-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Stonehenge Flake   Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:59 pm

I'm almost finished smoking the Louisiana Flake. While it is similar to Stonehenge, there are enough differences that I would say they are not the same. It has a little more perique.  It has less cocoa and more Lakeland with the Lakeland being slightly different in taste (more vanilla, more floralness) as well as hanging around longer in LF. Also, I don't detect burley in LF.

I'm going to smoke the two Stonehenge productions again to check my thoughts on them. The differences mainly seem to be what happens when one is aged and one is fresh.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Stonehenge Flake   Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:57 pm

I am over a half way through my first tin and yes it's different from Louisiana Flake, it's richer. But Louisiana aged is pretty close. The cocoa in Stonehenge is a bit more present but not drastically so. Dr. T mentioned Scotch Flake by comparison, and I have to agree that the topping is closer to it than Louisiana. But altogether Stonehenge is more similar to Louisiana than Scotch Flake. I don't get along well with the cocoa topping it interferes with the flavor of the smoke in a bad way. To my taste of course. All in all a decent tobacco, nowhere close to a first call Lakeland favorite though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Stonehenge Flake
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: The Tobacco Jar-
Jump to: