HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Re-sizing pics question

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re-sizing pics question   Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:58 pm

How does one re-size pics?

As an example I just tried to c&p an image I received here and it was normal size when I received it. Yet when I c&p it the preview image became much too large. Can't seem to find any info on this so help is appreciated.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Lonecoyote

Registration date : 2016-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Re-sizing pics question   Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:22 pm

Rande,
I use Imgur for third party sharing and I can adjust the pixels using the tab above, two to the left of the YouTube tab. Looks like a TV screen.
Any questions just ask.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Re-sizing pics question   Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:25 pm

I use The Gimp for all that kind of stuff. Free download. A bit of a learning curve. A number of systems deal with for you now and do an auto-resize when you upload.

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Re-sizing pics question   Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:05 am

Carlos wrote:
I use The Gimp for all that kind of stuff.  Free download.  A bit of a learning curve.  A number of systems deal with for you now and do an auto-resize when you upload.  

You lost me at "learning curve."    lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Re-sizing pics question   Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:08 am

Hermit wrote:
Carlos wrote:
I use The Gimp for all that kind of stuff.  Free download.  A bit of a learning curve.  A number of systems deal with for you now and do an auto-resize when you upload.  

You lost me at "learning curve."    lol!

Well. You Open a file. Do what you want to do with it. Save it. But it only saves it in a Gimp format. You have to Export it for a usable jpeg file. Or some other type. Easy once you get used to doing it.

Resize. You open the file. Then go to Image, Scale Image. You can make some choices pixels, inches, etc. I usually do a 800x600 format for web forums. Save and then Export. But The Gimp will do anything Photoshop will do. There are add-ons to make it do more.

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Re-sizing pics question   Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:34 am

Rande, are you speaking of posting here? I've never used a third party for photos in my life. There's a drop-down menu that appears once you've selected and opened the photo from your computer, if that's what you're using.  You have a choice of four pixel sizes, 1024, 800, 640, and 320. Are we on the same page, literally and figuratively?  Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Re-sizing pics question   Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:21 am

Richard Burley wrote:
Rande, are you speaking of posting here? I've never used a third party for photos in my life. There's a drop-down menu that appears once you've selected and opened the photo from your computer, if that's what you're using.  You have a choice of four pixel sizes, 1024, 800, 640, and 320. Are we on the same page, literally and figuratively?  Laughing

Yes Richard, for posting here. The problem I stated in the OP was this - I clicked c&p over a pic I already had in my pm box. It was sized just fine there. So next I pasted it into the image icon on the reply box, and when I previewed it was about 10X the original size. Much too large for comfortable viewing.

So I see that there is a width/height box where I can enter some numbers. Would I then do as Carlos suggests and use say 800 width and 600 height? And how does you suggestion of pixel sizes relate?? scratch

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
Lonecoyote

PostSubject: Re: Re-sizing pics question   Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:37 am

RANDE^^^^^^^
Yup, that's what I was trying to explain to you. Use that drop down box and most pictures turn out well with a pixel ratio of 600px X 400px. Once you hit send and the picture is not to your liking you can always hit the edit tab to re-adjust the pixel size. Once you do it a few times it will be a breeze. Good luck

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Re-sizing pics question   Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:08 am

Brewdude wrote:
...So I see that there is a width/height box where I can enter some numbers. Would I then do as Carlos suggests and use say 800 width and 600 height? And how does you suggestion of pixel sizes relate?? scratch

I misspoke, probably. Px stands for what? Don't confuse me with anyone who knows what they're talking about. I'd show a screenshot, but I just lurched from Windows XP to Windows 10 on a new computer and can't get the procedure to work. I friggin' HATE "improvements." If I grasp what you're attempting, you're posting a picture you never saved to your computerstein? Just copy and paste? Didn't know you could do that. Anyhow, I'm gonna hafta bail on "helping" you any more. I'm 99.44% ignorant. It's just that I never have had problems with pics here. Strange.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Re-sizing pics question   Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:54 pm

Lonecoyote wrote:
RANDE^^^^^^^
Yup, that's what I was trying to explain to you. Use that drop down box and most pictures turn out well with a pixel ratio of 600px X 400px. Once you hit send and the picture is not to your liking you can always hit the edit tab to re-adjust the pixel size. Once you do it a few times it will be a breeze. Good luck

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Thanks Ted. I'll give that a try.

Richard Burley wrote:
I misspoke, probably. Px stands for what? Don't confuse me with anyone who knows what they're talking about. I'd show a screenshot, but I just lurched from Windows XP to Windows 10 on a new computer and can't get the procedure to work. I friggin' HATE "improvements." If I grasp what you're attempting, you're posting a picture you never saved to your computerstein? Just copy and paste? Didn't know you could do that. Anyhow, I'm gonna hafta bail on "helping" you any more. I'm 99.44% ignorant. It's just that I never have had problems with pics here. Strange.

Not to worry Richard. I'm prolly less computer savvy than you!

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Re-sizing pics question   Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:48 pm

Y'all keep calling me a Gimp and y'all will have to resize your own dang pictures........

Suspect
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lonecoyote

PostSubject: Re: Re-sizing pics question   Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:23 pm

OW your funny!!
Gimp is a program developed by Linux. It's a fairly easy photo editing program that's Unix/Gnu based but can also be used with a Windows O/S. Anybody that's interested with the way Gimp works take a look on YouTube, there are a number of interesting tutorials. It's freeware, just make sure if you decide to use/give Gimp a try, you download the program from a mirror off Linux website.
I only use Linux based O/S systems, right now I'm running Cento 5 Server. If your computer savvy you've most likely have used Linux, like Ubuntu. I also run Knoppix that's installed on one of my thumb drives. Knoppix is a bootable Linux O/S, that's USB bootable from any O/S.....Mac or Windows.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Re-sizing pics question   Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:46 pm

Just wanted to bring some resolution to this. Ted's suggestion of resizing to 600 x 400 has been just the ticket. I've now used it several times when an image was too large. Worked a charm!

Many thanks Ted!

cheers

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
Lonecoyote

PostSubject: Re: Re-sizing pics question   Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:54 pm

Rande,
My pleasure!! Remember, there might be times you need to re-adjust pixel size once posted. Just hit the edit tab and change pixel size until the picture is to your liking.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Re-sizing pics question
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1