HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

The stepchild of Italian pipes

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
fishnbanjo

Registration date : 2013-01-11

PostSubject: The stepchild of Italian pipes    Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:46 pm

When Caminetto ceased operations the three main carvers went their respective ways, Ascorti and Radice went on to found pipe companies under their own name and Enzo Galluzo went on to found the Capitello Pipe Company.

Capitello was the first Italian pipe company to oil cure their briar. It's hard to believe this beautiful Capitello Gotico I'm keeping smokey with some 5 y/o Esoterica Tilbury was once a Vergin finish. It was the first pipe I ever purchased with that finished being told by someone with much more experience than I who told me it would color much like a Meerschaum does.

Although I was skeptical about what he'd told me nearly 30 years of keeping it smokey has proven him right because the pipe has never had Wax applied or been buffed but it is simply a beauty to behold in my eyes.

Unfortunately Capitello ran into financial difficulties and faded away which is too bad since their pipes were on par with Castello even passing their parent company Caminetto by a wide margin, if you can find one buy it you won't regret it.
banjo

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fishnbanjosplace.yuku.com/directory#.UOxnWne3ofw
Lonecoyote

Registration date : 2016-10-15

PostSubject: Re: The stepchild of Italian pipes    Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:32 pm

Very nice pipe and I'm familiar with the maker, a friend back on Long Island owns two and they're his pride and joy. Last week I was on Smokers Haven and noticed this Capitello Pot. Looks in mint condition. The rim and stem is an easy repair.
Take a look when you have time....

https://www.smokershaven.com/capitello-estate-pipe-jonico-pot/

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: The stepchild of Italian pipes    Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:42 pm

Love the rustic finish on that Mr. Banjo. And you say that's coloured from smoking alone? cyclops

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com Online
Lonecoyote

Registration date : 2016-10-15

PostSubject: Re: The stepchild of Italian pipes    Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:45 pm

Rande,
I own a Savinelli smooth Billiard Pipe made from Vergin briar. Has 9 fills, not a high grade pipe but it's in my regular rotation because it's an excellent smoking pipe. The color is now dark chocolate after more than 700 smokes. It's FUGLY from the light color fills but it smokes far superior than my Eltang!

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

The stepchild of Italian pipes
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1