HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

1970's Peterson "Aboriginal Finish" Meer 80S

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ontariopiper

Registration date : 2015-03-10

PostSubject: 1970's Peterson "Aboriginal Finish" Meer 80S   Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:57 am

Thought I'd share my latest acquisition with everyone here.

I found this Peterson Meerschaum during a wander at a local antiques mall last week. From what I've been able to ascertain online, it's likely a 1970's vintage, in what was called the "aboriginal finish". The pipe is unmarked except for the Peterson P logo on the stem (which is in excellent condition), but my best guess on a shape number is 80S. If I'm right about the age, it was made from Tanzanian meerschaum (now unavailable) on the Isle of Man under contract to Peterson.

The pipe as found: dirty, greasy, caked up, and oxidized.

The cleanup went well, except that I discovered a hairline crack in the shank. I installed a shank band to keep things together - the faux hallmarks add a touch of faux class, I think. Very Happy I waxed the meer with beeswax when all was said and done - the colour difference is dramatic! I don't think the pipe had been waxed since leaving the factory, judging by the colouration the beeswax pulled to the surface.

The pipe after its day at the spa: cleaned, repaired, polished and ready to go!

Not sure if I'll be keeping this one or selling it on. If anyone here is interested, shoot me a PM.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dadspipes.com
Lonecoyote

Registration date : 2016-10-15

PostSubject: Re: 1970's Peterson "Aboriginal Finish" Meer 80S   Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:11 am

Beautiful old Pete Meer that cleaned up well. It's a rare beauty that you should enjoy for a while and if you want down the road sell it. Excellent find.... cheers cheers

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ontariopiper

PostSubject: Re: 1970's Peterson "Aboriginal Finish" Meer 80S   Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:31 am

Lonecoyote wrote:
Beautiful old Pete Meer that cleaned up well. It's a rare beauty that you should enjoy for a while and if you want down the road sell it. Excellent find.... cheers cheers

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Thanks, LC. I have to admit I'm somewhat taken with the new colouration. I've cleaned up a half dozen or so estate meers but never had one react to waxing like this one has. Should I also mention that it's rather nicely balanced and seems to fit my jaw dang near perfectly? Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: 1970's Peterson "Aboriginal Finish" Meer 80S   Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:32 pm

Charles, that's a very unique shape for a meer, much less a Pete! Not my kind of design, but the after pic makes it look fine and very coloured. Perhaps this should stay in your collection being as it's so rare.

Cool

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
ontariopiper

PostSubject: Re: 1970's Peterson "Aboriginal Finish" Meer 80S   Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:33 am

Brewdude wrote:
Charles, that's a very unique shape for a meer, much less a Pete! Not my kind of design, but the after pic makes it look fine and very coloured. Perhaps this should stay in your collection being as it's so rare.

Cool

Cheers,

RR

Aaaaand, I'm convinced! Time to take it for a test run, I think! cheers
Back to top Go down
Timbo

Registration date : 2015-01-18

PostSubject: Re: 1970's Peterson "Aboriginal Finish" Meer 80S   Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:25 pm

That is one sweet Pete, I've got a system pipe in briar with the same scalloped finish which I love, so interesting to hold. 

Nice find there. 

Tim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ontariopiper

PostSubject: Re: 1970's Peterson "Aboriginal Finish" Meer 80S   Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:46 pm

Timbo wrote:
That is one sweet Pete, I've got a system pipe in briar with the same scalloped finish which I love, so interesting to hold. 

Nice find there. 

Tim

Thanks Tim. I had no idea they used the same finish on briar. I agree with your assessment of the stummel's tactile qualities!
Back to top Go down
Timbo

PostSubject: Re: 1970's Peterson "Aboriginal Finish" Meer 80S   Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:02 pm

Charles, I've a sneaky feeling the scalloping was done post factory after a drop or similar damaged the pipe. There are no markings left after the carving other than the K&P on the stummel.

This pipe was picked up for a couple of bucks from an antique store as a restoration challenge. It was obviously someone's well loved and smoked daily pipe which needed a lot of TLC. 

Will post a pic or two when I get home. 

Cheers

Tim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Oxman

Registration date : 2014-06-05

PostSubject: Re: 1970's Peterson "Aboriginal Finish" Meer 80S   Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:55 pm

Thats a great looking little meer.

I was always interested in Tanzania Meerschaum and have a selection of 6 or 7 Kiko pipes from here.
I keep trying to see if there are any still available in Tanzania but have had no luck so far!

Enjoy it!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Timbo

PostSubject: Re: 1970's Peterson "Aboriginal Finish" Meer 80S   Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:58 am

Pics as promised, it's currently sitting in my to be cleaned pile so it could do with some cleaning.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: 1970's Peterson "Aboriginal Finish" Meer 80S   Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:26 am

That can't be the right stem for this one?

View user profile
Timbo

PostSubject: Re: 1970's Peterson "Aboriginal Finish" Meer 80S   Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:20 pm

It's a P-lip that fits the mount. I think it's either a Frankenpipe, very likely, or the stem straightened out due to maltreatment which is also quite likely given how beaten up the little bugger was. 

I actually like it, oddly I can happily clench this one and forget about it which is rare for me, normally I'm a holder. 

Cheers

Tim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ontariopiper

PostSubject: Re: 1970's Peterson "Aboriginal Finish" Meer 80S   Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:42 pm

Timbo wrote:
It's a P-lip that fits the mount. I think it's either a Frankenpipe, very likely, or the stem straightened out due to maltreatment which is also quite likely given how beaten up the little bugger was. 

I actually like it, oddly I can happily clench this one and forget about it which is rare for me, normally I'm a holder. 

Cheers

Tim

Tim - I've seen a few pics of Peterson briars with that finish/rustication, so yours may well be a factory product. Of course I can't find those pictures online now when I need them! Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
ontariopiper

PostSubject: Re: 1970's Peterson "Aboriginal Finish" Meer 80S   Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:46 pm

Oxman wrote:
Thats a great looking little meer.

I was always interested in Tanzania Meerschaum and have a selection of 6 or 7 Kiko pipes from here.
I keep trying to see if there are any still available in Tanzania but have had no luck so far!

Enjoy it!

Oxman,

I'm guessing you'd be reliant on the local estate pipe market for Tanzanian meerschaum. My understanding, and you may know more than I, is that the supply dried up in the 1970's. Even then, Peterson bought raw blocks and made the pipes on the Isle of Mann and/or in Ireland, so finding a Pete Tanzanian meer in Tanzania would be quite remarkable, I would think. Weird how global economics turned a local product into an import!
Back to top Go down
Timbo

PostSubject: Re: 1970's Peterson "Aboriginal Finish" Meer 80S   Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:55 pm

Charles, 

I also had a bit of a poke around online once I knew it was called an aboriginal finish but could only find meers too. Will definately be on the hunt for one now I've seen how great yours turned out. 

Cheers

Tim
Back to top Go down
View user profile

1970's Peterson "Aboriginal Finish" Meer 80S
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1