HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Mail Call - Got in ont eh C&D Bulk sale at SP

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ontariopiper

Registration date : 2015-03-10

PostSubject: Mail Call - Got in ont eh C&D Bulk sale at SP   Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:31 pm

Couldn't resist the sale at smokingpipes.com. Restocked the Crooner I've been enjoying this summer and topped up my CH supply. The rest are new-to-me blends I'm looking forward to trying.

Just from jarring up the bulks, the Sweet English is noticeably aromatic on top of the English base (caramel?). The Snug Harbour has a small amount of a similar (if not the same) topping, but just enough to be detectable on the nose. Thought I'd try these to see how they compare to the Frog Morton blends.

Star of the East and Epiphany have been on my list for some time. I added the Bayou Night for a taste of Perique, which I haven't really explored yet.

The problem now is that they all smell so tempting, I don't know where to start! lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dadspipes.com
Lonecoyote

Registration date : 2016-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Mail Call - Got in ont eh C&D Bulk sale at SP   Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:38 pm

All excellent choices!! Bayou Night bulk is every bit as good as the tin version. I don't usually find that to be true on many blends I smoke. If your Bayou Night seems moist to you dry it a bit on a tobacco tray or small platter for 30 to 60 minutes. After just 6 months of aging, I personally find it makes a BIG difference!! If you enjoy Perique this is a blend you will be stocking up on in your cellar. This blend may bite when fresh if your not an experienced pipe smoker, but in your case you know how to control your cadence. Please post your opinions once you've tried the blends that are new to you.. cheers  cheers

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ontariopiper

PostSubject: Re: Mail Call - Got in ont eh C&D Bulk sale at SP   Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:42 pm

Thanks LC. The Bayou Night did indeed feel a bit moist out of the bag, although the rest of the blends seem to have arrived pretty much ready to go.

I'll try to make some notes as I work through the blends and report back.
Back to top Go down
Lonecoyote

PostSubject: Re: Mail Call - Got in ont eh C&D Bulk sale at SP   Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:25 pm

ontariopiper wrote:
Thanks LC. The Bayou Night did indeed feel a bit moist out of the bag,

That's what I figured and wanted to make you aware. It's a blend I enjoy Straight and I make a blend with Lane Burley & Black which I can smoke like a freight train. To me the blend has a medium NIC hit. But to some pipers I know they refer to it as a heavy hitter. For me it's an afternoon or evening smoke. Looking forward also too your opinion on this particular blend.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lonecoyote

PostSubject: Re: Mail Call - Got in ont eh C&D Bulk sale at SP   Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:05 pm

So, did you break out a good smoker and try the Bayou Night??? I'm looking forward to your thoughts on this blend. I really enjoy this blend with some age, 6 to 12 months minimum. I personally find it makes a big differences as far as complexity and NO 👅 tongue 👅 bite!. This is one of those sleeper blends that does not get recognition from many pipe smokers. Am I the only one that really enjoys this blend IF properly dried???

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ontariopiper

PostSubject: Re: Mail Call - Got in ont eh C&D Bulk sale at SP   Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:06 pm

It's next on my list!
Back to top Go down
Lonecoyote

PostSubject: Re: Mail Call - Got in ont eh C&D Bulk sale at SP   Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:15 pm

Great, just dry out a bowl full for about 30 minutes on a tobacco tray or plate. This one bites FAST if to moist. Hope you enjoy.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ontariopiper

PostSubject: Re: Mail Call - Got in ont eh C&D Bulk sale at SP   Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:18 pm

Lonecoyote wrote:
Great, just dry out a bowl full for about 30 minutes on a tobacco tray or plate. This one bites FAST if to moist. Hope you enjoy.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

I'll be sure to post my thoughts. Stay tuned!
Back to top Go down
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Mail Call - Got in ont eh C&D Bulk sale at SP   Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:20 pm

Charles, how do find Crooner? I once got some in to see what deer tongue was like and found it to be strident with a strange vanilla-like characteristic that ghosted a pipe something powerful. I quickly disposed of the rest!

Embarassed

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Lonecoyote

PostSubject: Re: Mail Call - Got in ont eh C&D Bulk sale at SP   Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:29 pm

Brewdude wrote:
Charles, how do find Crooner? I once got some in to see what deer tongue was like and found it to be strident with a strange vanilla-like characteristic that ghosted a pipe something powerful. I quickly disposed of the rest!

Oh I copy that!! It's suppose to be an authentic copy of Bing Crosby's private blend. Maybe that's why he use to beat up his son Gary. scratch 5)

REST IN PEACE GARY
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ontariopiper

PostSubject: Re: Mail Call - Got in ont eh C&D Bulk sale at SP   Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:54 am

Brewdude wrote:

Embarassed

Cheers,

RR

Rande, it took me a few bowl s to get into the Crooner but I've been enjoying it. Bought some in the Spring and have been smoking it on and off for most of the summer. The deertongue is interesting; I found that vanilla-ish/mintish sensation cooling unless I puffed too hard. The burleys in this one can be a bit harsh as well if you don't moderate your tempo, but for a front-porch sipper, I quite like it.

It's not a really complicated blend, and once the cube cut is properly lit, it'll burn nicely without a whole lot of attention.

I left the tin of Crooner at our trailer this summer, and I have noticed that the pipe I used most out there is in need of a good cleaning. Not sure if that's due to the Crooner or the changes in temperature/humidity over the summer, but I'll be giving that pipe a salt/alcohol treatment to deodorize it in due time. Very Happy

I'll have to pack a bowl of it again and organize a proper review!
Back to top Go down
ontariopiper

PostSubject: Re: Mail Call - Got in ont eh C&D Bulk sale at SP   Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:59 am

Lonecoyote wrote:

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Well, I sampled the Bayou Night last night, LC, and the experience is still with me!

I perhaps should have read more reviews before ordering this one. I was not ready for the heavily-fermented cigar-like base flavour! I'm not a huge cigar guy, and when I do smoke a stogie, I aim for the milder end of that spectrum. My first puff on BN more or less blanked out any taste buds I have left, I think, and I got none of the subtler flavours I read about from others.

I got about halfway through the bowl and had to put it down. Sad Not the best intro to this blend, but I'll let it cellar for a few months and give it another go.
Back to top Go down
Lonecoyote

PostSubject: Re: Mail Call - Got in ont eh C&D Bulk sale at SP   Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:10 am

Lonecoyote wrote:Great, just dry out a bowl full for about 30 minutes on a tobacco tray or plate. This one bites FAST if to moist. Hope you enjoy. 

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Well, I sampled the Bayou Night last night, LC, and the experience is still with me! 

I perhaps should have read more reviews before ordering this one. I was not ready for the heavily-fermented cigar-like base flavour! I'm not a huge cigar guy, and when I do smoke a stogie, I aim for the milder end of that spectrum. My first puff on BN more or less blanked out any taste buds I have left, I think, and I got none of the subtler flavours I read about from others. 

If your not a cigar smoker or never enjoyed a good cigar Bayou Night is not for you. Put the rest in a Mason jar and age for a few months and try a bowl again. 

PS....inserting an image or a quote is NOT working properly!!!
AGE THE REST FOR A MINIMUM OF 6 months and much better after a full year!!!

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ontariopiper

PostSubject: Re: Mail Call - Got in ont eh C&D Bulk sale at SP   Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:21 pm

Lonecoyote wrote:
Lonecoyote wrote:Great, just dry out a bowl full for about 30 minutes on a tobacco tray or plate. This one bites FAST if to moist. Hope you enjoy. 

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

[size=12]
KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Thanks. I'm not ready to give up on this one yet, but I'll let it age some before a rematch. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Mail Call - Got in ont eh C&D Bulk sale at SP
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1