HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

We regret to inform you....

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: We regret to inform you....   Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:36 pm

So, I got an email today regarding a trip I had planned to offer assistance to the folks in Puerto Rico. Everything looked ready to go, and then I find out that "due to management and coordination issues, your(my) services are not required at this time."

Well, fine.... Guess I'll go eat worms...........

Suspect
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: We regret to inform you....   Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:00 pm

I say. That's just not cricket. Now why would they be turning away help at a time like this? Nope. Don't get it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lonecoyote

Registration date : 2016-10-15

PostSubject: Re: We regret to inform you....   Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:07 pm

WOW, that's amazing! Everything must be back to normal in Puerto Rico...NOT! The devastation is beyond imaginable. This is a country in crisis and accepts donations but not man power, what's wrong with that picture!

Now just sit back, puff on your pipe and contemplate, what does this tell you  scratch scratch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
arkansaspiper

Registration date : 2016-01-22

PostSubject: Re: We regret to inform you....   Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:07 pm

mind blown
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: We regret to inform you....   Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:34 pm

Not to feel bad. In a major disaster, the big problem is taking care of local victims, many of them in need of food and shelter. Bringing in large numbers of volunteers from the outside can put more stress on food, shelter and medicine. Presidents have decided not to go on scene, because they'd be a distraction. Could be that when power is restored and some of the immediate problems get patched, there will be ops for volunteers. People overlook the practical need to feed, house, and manage the helpers. I heard that at one point the Cajun Navy came under fire from looters. It can take awhile to get a grip.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: We regret to inform you....   Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:45 pm

KevinM wrote:
Not to feel bad. In a major disaster, the big problem is taking care of local victims, many of them in need of food and shelter. Bringing in large numbers of volunteers from the outside can put more stress on food, shelter and medicine. Presidents have decided not to go on scene, because they'd be a distraction. Could be that when power is restored and some of the immediate problems get patched, there will be ops for volunteers. People overlook the practical need to feed, house, and manage the helpers. I heard that at one point the Cajun Navy came under fire from looters. It can take awhile to get a grip.

There's a lot of wisdom in this.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Bub

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: We regret to inform you....   Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:46 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
kaitlyn3837

Registration date : 2013-05-14

PostSubject: Re: We regret to inform you....   Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:51 pm

KevinM wrote:

I second this and that Brewdude said there is wisdom in it.

With that being said, I am very sorry you aren't able to help right now Ozark!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
arkansaspiper

Registration date : 2016-01-22

PostSubject: Re: We regret to inform you....   Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:12 pm

give it a few months
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Stick

PostSubject: Re: We regret to inform you....   Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:54 am

Yes, good point Kevin.

Frustrating for Bob though. I'm confident he'd turn up having put some thought to this and be completely self sufficient. The chaps in PR won't know that, of course.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lonecoyote

Registration date : 2016-10-15

PostSubject: Re: We regret to inform you....   Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:00 am

The majority of people who have offered help are survivalists, trained too also handle situations of this magnitude. They are well capable and can take care of themselves and others without local government intervention.
A team of former Army Rangers were also 🙅‍♂️ denied 🙅‍♂️ access to aid in the rescue of those in dire need of help in La Perla, a shanty town just outside San Juan. One can donate money but without the " proper " man power food and supplies are not being distributed to those in desperate need. 

The looting MUST be stopped immediately, what better way by those Rangers trained to do so! 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: We regret to inform you....   Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:29 pm

I am well done with just passing out monies to 'relief efforts'. Admins take the cream. I've seen it happen too many times. So, if I can manage, I go, and with me come supplies. I'm a big fan of water filters called Lifestraws. (I own some shares in the company. lately the proceeds have gone to products given out.) These are always the first and foremost item I offer for free to victims. I then work with the folks to restore some semblance of order in their lives. Feed them, teach them how to use what resources they have to get by until FEMA or the Red Cross actually gets there for them. Otherwise I give a calm voice, an open ear, and what solace I can offer. Words of wisdom, BS, jokes and prayers, whatever brings back a smile.

Looting is also a big problem with any disaster. It's like a ship sinking, and the sharks begin to circle. Predators with no conscience. Scavengers. Booby traps are easy to set for them, and I must say it pleases me when I learn of when they are triggered. Alas, I will have to sit this one out. After all, what can one old wizard hope to accomplish against such formidable obstacles?

(sigh)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

PostSubject: Re: We regret to inform you....   Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:25 pm

This one just didn't have your name on it Bob. One thing's for sure though... in this crazy world we live in, there'll be others who I'm sure will appreciate your skillset in the not too distant future.

Interesting dit about the lifestraws Wiz. I'm aware of such a product but never tried one. Up until now I've always been a bit old school; either choose water carefully in the mountains or boil it. This invariably led to getting a little low towards the end of the day so I'd tend to drink lots before setting out and again when back in my tent. As I used to tell my troops, 'big eats, big drinks, big sleeps'.

The straw concept sounds just the ticket for keeping in your pocket though and dipping into streams as you travel. Recon I'll check 'em out...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: We regret to inform you....   Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:55 pm

Sorry to hear this OW, I know you spent a lot of time etc. planning for this but, what do they say about "the best laid plans of mice and men"? I know from my experiences that most every time I plan ahead for anything I don't plan on Murphy's law showing it's ugly head when it does.
And, sometimes we're most needed where we don't think we are. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile

We regret to inform you....
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1