HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Scottie Piersel is now being knocked off...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
LL

Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Scottie Piersel is now being knocked off...   Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:32 pm

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, right? Laughing

Check this out for a laugh:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/202020613653
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lonecoyote

Registration date : 2016-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Scottie Piersel is now being knocked off...   Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:57 pm

That's funny, thanks for sharing. What's a Scottopipe....lmao

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Scottie Piersel is now being knocked off...   Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:12 pm

I don't know who the person is, but doing a search brought me to his facebook page. He has some pokers on the page that look very much like Dagner's too. My thing is, the originals are not that highly priced... why would I want a knockoff that cost almost as much? Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DoverPipes

Registration date : 2009-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Scottie Piersel is now being knocked off...   Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:04 am

Not new been around for a while, at least longer than the Dagners with "their pipes", at least this guy actually carves his own stuff! His name is Juan Scotto. If you look through his pipes, he is all over the place as far as "style" goes. Some of his stuff looks pretty good and I have been tempted, but never pulled the trigger.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Scottie Piersel is now being knocked off...   Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:12 am

DoverPipes wrote:
Not new been around for a while, at least longer than the Dagners with "their pipes", at least this guy actually carves his own stuff! His name is Juan Scotto. If you look through his pipes, he is all over the place as far as "style" goes. Some of his stuff looks pretty good and I have been tempted, but never pulled the trigger.

That's cool. I should not be so quick to reply about something I have little knowledge about. Sorry.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Scottie Piersel is now being knocked off...   Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:54 pm

I suspect someone can be skilled at the actual making of a pipe, but not so good at original design. So they copy. Itís okay. My granddad and namesake loved to oil paint copies of Renaissance masters. I remember the smell in his studio as I watched him. I was too young to ask good questions or even realize that not all grandfathers could do this. All his grandkids have at least one hanging in their homes ... they can be quite startling to guests. He never painted anything original in spite of many, many requests. Itís okay. People like it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Scottie Piersel is now being knocked off...   Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:19 pm

He's the father of pipe maker Juan Urquiza, who I know from the Allentown PA club. †He (his name is Juan Scotto) dabbles in making pipes himself. †I think he just makes what he likes and means no disrespect to other pipe makers, and i think he enjoys trying to stretch his skill set. †At $100/pipe, I dont think anyone's going to confuse that with one of Scottie P's pipes.

Juan U's pipes, not bad for a guy in it about a year. I hung out with him earlier this year (along with the guys from PA Standard Tobacco).
https://www.pipehub.com/j-p-urquiza-pipes-1/shops/view/233
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DoverPipes

Registration date : 2009-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Scottie Piersel is now being knocked off...   Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:42 pm

riff raff wrote:
He's the father of pipe maker Juan Urquiza, who I know from the Allentown PA club. †He (his name is Juan Scotto) dabbles in making pipes himself. †I think he just makes what he likes and means no disrespect to other pipe makers, and i think he enjoys trying to stretch his skill set. †At $100/pipe, I dont think anyone's going to confuse that with one of Scottie P's pipes.

Juan U's pipes, not bad for a guy in it about a year. †I hung out with him earlier this year (along with the guys from PA Standard Tobacco).
https://www.pipehub.com/j-p-urquiza-pipes-1/shops/view/233

Juan has come a long way in just over a year!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lonecoyote

Registration date : 2016-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Scottie Piersel is now being knocked off...   Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:50 pm

Juan has his own style and after reading more about the maker I don't believe he means any disrespect to Scottie P.
Juan makes a nice looking pipe for around $100.00 and his skills will only get better. Good luck... cheers

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Scottie Piersel is now being knocked off...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1