HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Question for a friend

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Thistleoak

Registration date : 2012-08-14

PostSubject: Question for a friend   Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:44 pm

So I met and got talking to a gentleman on social media and we got chating as he is a pipe smoker also, he's looking to pick up a clay tavern style to try out. Mine is super old, I picked it up at a B&M in Virginia, it is has great patina after all these years and there is no makers mark on it. A question he had is there a certain production process he should look For? He is a real nice gentleman and I sent him the link for the BoB and told him to check it out, I also quoted Navy Flake ( I think it was Navy Flake) and told him we aren't the biggest pipe smoking forum on the internet but we make up for it in heart and camaraderie. He may sign up tomorrow, hope he does, always great to welcome fresh blood to the fold. Anyways any info on clays that we have would be greatly appreciated. As always thanks everyone. You all rock!
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Question for a friend   Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:18 am

Here's a couple of sources...

https://shop.pipeshoppe.com/product-category/claypipes/dutchclaypipes/

http://www.dawnmist.org/pipesale.htm

Hope this helps, and we'll keep a weather eye out for your buddy! What a Face
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Lonecoyote

Registration date : 2016-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Question for a friend   Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:23 am

He'll be welcomed with open arms. OW posted a few places already. I've seen good clay pipes sell on eBay for under $20.00. They get hot but can handle the heat, great smokers!!

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thistleoak

PostSubject: Re: Question for a friend   Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:24 am

That's what I like about mine.

Omg look how dark my hair was!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Thistleoak

PostSubject: Re: Question for a friend   Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:33 am

I didn't start getting grey until I met Arky scratch
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Lonecoyote

Registration date : 2016-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Question for a friend   Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:35 am

Holy $hit, how old were you?? During my travels thru Europe I noticed many old time pipe smokers enjoying their long clay pipes. While in Denmark I purchased a straight long clay and it did smoke cool but WOW, did that bowl get hot. Still can't remember to this day what happened to that pipe scratch scratch scratch

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Question for a friend   Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:53 am

I have a Dawn Mist tavern and it's a nice pipe. They're made to smoke & not sit on a shelf. The only draw back is that the pipe is extremely fragile & the bowl gets scalding hot when smoked.

If I were to purchase another clay I'd probably try to nab a piece from Lepeltier. I don't believe Lepeltier makes a tavern but their clays are thick walled and fitted with standard stems and designed to be treated like a briar.

Also, if your friend goes with a Dawn Mist, I suggest that he orders one with a glazed-tipped mouth piece. Otherwise he's gonna need Chap Stick. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thistleoak

PostSubject: Re: Question for a friend   Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:11 pm

DrumsAndBeer wrote:
I have a Dawn Mist tavern and it's a nice pipe. They're made to smoke & not sit on a shelf. The only draw back is that the pipe is extremely fragile & the bowl gets scalding hot when smoked.

If I were to purchase another clay I'd probably try to nab a piece from Lepeltier. I don't believe Lepeltier makes a tavern but their clays are thick walled and fitted with standard stems and designed to be treated like a briar.

Also, if your friend goes with a Dawn Mist, I suggest that he orders one with a glazed-tipped mouth piece. Otherwise he's gonna need Chap Stick. Wink

That's good medicine... I'll pass it on
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Question for a friend   Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:12 pm

I have a churchwarden I bought at Keene"s Chop House in NYC about 30 years ago. It's very dark now and as others have said the bowl get's very hot but it is a very cool smoking pipe ! It likes heavy Latakia blends and I smoked 759 in it back when I first got it. To me a Churchwarden is a long stemmed clay pipe not a long stemmed briar. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Question for a friend
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1