HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Can Anyone Identify this Hallmark?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ontariopiper

Registration date : 2015-03-10

PostSubject: Can Anyone Identify this Hallmark?   Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:35 am

Hi folks,

I'm trying to identify the hallmark on a Sterling shank band. I've got 2 out of 3 but the last one is a stumper.

The first two, an Anchor and Lion, stand for Birmingham, England and Sterling silver, respectively. The third hallmark, which I read as an Orb in a Laurel wreath, doesn't show up in the hallmark tables. Typically the third mark is a date letter, not another symbol.

Anyone seen this before?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dadspipes.com
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Can Anyone Identify this Hallmark?   Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:05 am

ontariopiper wrote:
Hi folks,

I'm trying to identify the hallmark on a Sterling shank band. I've got 2 out of 3 but the last one is a stumper.

The first two, an Anchor and Lion, stand for Birmingham, England and Sterling silver, respectively. The third hallmark, which I read as an Orb in a Laurel wreath, doesn't show up in the hallmark tables. Typically the third mark is a date letter, not another symbol.

Anyone seen this before?

If the third is normally associated with a date, I wonder if it could be a coronation or Jubilee year?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999 Online
Corncobcon

Registration date : 2017-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Can Anyone Identify this Hallmark?   Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:48 pm

This is what I came up with...

The Sovereign’s Orb…is a symbol of Godly power. A cross above a globe, It represents ‘Christ’s dominion over the world’, as the Monarch is God’s representative on Earth.

It is presented to the Sovereign [thus]: “Receive this orb set under the cross, and remember that the whole world is subject to the Power and Empire of Christ our Redeemer.”

The Sovereign’s sceptre…represent[s] the temporal power of The King or Queen, and is associated with good governance.

Maybe it represents royalty at the time the pipe was created?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Can Anyone Identify this Hallmark?   Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:13 pm

Mmmm, that 's a toughy OP. I've had a good rummage around a few sites for you but have only been able to turn up the same as you. My best guess is it's a makers mark. But, defo made in Birmingham.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Can Anyone Identify this Hallmark?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1