HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 
 

 Can Anyone Identify this Hallmark?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
ontariopiper

avatar

Age : 46
Location : Kitchener, Ontario CANADA
Registration date : 2015-03-10

PostSubject: Can Anyone Identify this Hallmark?   Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:35 am

Hi folks,

I'm trying to identify the hallmark on a Sterling shank band. I've got 2 out of 3 but the last one is a stumper.



The first two, an Anchor and Lion, stand for Birmingham, England and Sterling silver, respectively. The third hallmark, which I read as an Orb in a Laurel wreath, doesn't show up in the hallmark tables. Typically the third mark is a date letter, not another symbol.

Anyone seen this before?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dadspipes.com
DrT999

avatar

Age : 60
Location : Piedmont of North Carolina
Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Can Anyone Identify this Hallmark?   Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:05 am

ontariopiper wrote:
Hi folks,

I'm trying to identify the hallmark on a Sterling shank band. I've got 2 out of 3 but the last one is a stumper.



The first two, an Anchor and Lion, stand for Birmingham, England and Sterling silver, respectively. The third hallmark, which I read as an Orb in a Laurel wreath, doesn't show up in the hallmark tables. Typically the third mark is a date letter, not another symbol.

Anyone seen this before?

If the third is normally associated with a date, I wonder if it could be a coronation or Jubilee year?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
Corncobcon

avatar

Age : 68
Location : From the prarie of KS. to Lake of the Ozarks, MO.
Registration date : 2017-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Can Anyone Identify this Hallmark?   Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:48 pm

This is what I came up with...

The Sovereign’s Orb…is a symbol of Godly power. A cross above a globe, It represents ‘Christ’s dominion over the world’, as the Monarch is God’s representative on Earth.

It is presented to the Sovereign [thus]: “Receive this orb set under the cross, and remember that the whole world is subject to the Power and Empire of Christ our Redeemer.”

The Sovereign’s sceptre…represent[s] the temporal power of The King or Queen, and is associated with good governance.


Maybe it represents royalty at the time the pipe was created?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

avatar

Age : 48
Location : 'Blighty'
Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Can Anyone Identify this Hallmark?   Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:13 pm

Mmmm, that 's a toughy OP. I've had a good rummage around a few sites for you but have only been able to turn up the same as you. My best guess is it's a makers mark. But, defo made in Birmingham.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://stickballard.wixsite.com/blog
Jevverrett

avatar

Age : 35
Location : Meriden, Ct
Registration date : 2014-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Can Anyone Identify this Hallmark?   Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:42 pm

I’m with the doc on this one. Unusual symbols usually mean something special happened that year.

Update: Birmingham assay Office website says it stands for platinum, not silver. I realize this makes more questions than answers lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ontariopiper

avatar

Age : 46
Location : Kitchener, Ontario CANADA
Registration date : 2015-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Can Anyone Identify this Hallmark?   Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:19 am

Jevverrett wrote:
I’m with the doc on this one. Unusual symbols usually mean something special happened that year.

Update: Birmingham assay Office website says it stands for platinum, not silver. I realize this makes more questions than answers lol

That certainly adds another level of mystery to the game! A Sterling band marked as platinum?? My guess is a mis-stamping that slipped through quality control. I can't think of another reason for the mark.... scratch
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dadspipes.com
Jevverrett

avatar

Age : 35
Location : Meriden, Ct
Registration date : 2014-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Can Anyone Identify this Hallmark?   Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:47 pm

I wasn’t sure I could post the link to the government assay site. The lion is definitely sterling silver. And the orb is for platinum. Maybe the pipe stem had a metallic adornment at some time that was too small for a mark? Possibly a letter, like a Peterson might have. Or a dot like dunhill.

Who made the pipe, anyway?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ontariopiper

avatar

Age : 46
Location : Kitchener, Ontario CANADA
Registration date : 2015-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Can Anyone Identify this Hallmark?   Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:27 am

Jevverrett wrote:
I wasn’t sure I could post the link to the government assay site. The lion is definitely sterling silver. And the orb is for platinum. Maybe the pipe stem had a metallic adornment at some time that was too small for a mark? Possibly a letter, like a Peterson might have. Or a dot like dunhill.

Who made the pipe, anyway?

Sadly I don't have the pipe in my possession - I was sent the pics from a fellow piper looking for information. All I got were the pics of the hallmarks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dadspipes.com
 
Can Anyone Identify this Hallmark?
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Police identify three prime suspects - Daily Mail
» Police Identify Veteran Trainer Killed In SeaWorld Whale Attack
» Maine police investigate 100 leads in boy's death ...HELP NEEDED TO IDENTIFY YOUNG BOY
» Canadian US M1 helmet ????
» Can anybody identify this 1942 Canadian Parachute/Aircraft Belt?

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: Ye Olde Pipe Rack :: Pipe History-
Jump to: