HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

1962 DUNHILL ROOT BRIAR BENT BULLDOG REFURB

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Bonanzadriver

Registration date : 2017-04-12

PostSubject: 1962 DUNHILL ROOT BRIAR BENT BULLDOG REFURB   Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:17 pm

As most of you out there probably know by now, I am an admitted Bent Bulldog Fan.

Ok, ok!

"Hi, My name is Dino and I am a Bent Bulldogaholic"   Embarassed

As is often the case, a few weeks back I caught myself surfin the interweb, namely ebay and etsy lookin for my next acquisition, and I found what was listed as a "Nice Vintage Dunhill Estate" pipe.

I could tell from the images that this thing was pretty grunged up.

During the Offer, Counter-Offer game I inadvertently accepted the second counter offer.   Mad

It was admittedly more than I wanted to pay, but in the big picture of things, $20 or $30 on a Dunnie Bent Bulldog wasn't gonna break the bank.

It arrived relatively quickly and much to my disappointment it was even grungier than I had feared.  The condition of the stem was worse than I had hoped for as well.

After what seemed like hours of reaming the bowl I then got to work cleaning up the rim and removing many many years of grunge from the stummel.

It was after doing this that I was able to see all of the nomenclature.  Finally some good news.  What I thought was a 60's or 70's pipe turned out to be a 1952.

* Edit *

Turns out that, although adept at refurbin these beautiful ol briars, I suck at dating em! Embarassed

My Dunnie is missing the patent numbers, therefore it's a 1962.

Sorry folks.

* Edit *

I finally finished it up this evening.

Now, before anyone gets their hopes up I want to give full disclosure.  Although I would have liked to have simply buffed it up and have myself a showcase briar, the condition issues were more significant than I would have hoped for.

In the end I'm happy with the way it turned out and will undoubtedly enjoy smokin this for many years to come.

Here's the befores....

And the afters....

Last edited by Bonanzadriver on Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: 1962 DUNHILL ROOT BRIAR BENT BULLDOG REFURB   Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:21 pm

What a great score! Congrats! You did an excellent job of restoring it. cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: 1962 DUNHILL ROOT BRIAR BENT BULLDOG REFURB   Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:26 pm

Great work there Dino. Really, that's a bang-up job if I ever saw it.

Lovely pipe, and one I wouldn't mind owning myself - including and especially since it's a birth year Dunnie, and I've been casually considering looking for one for a while. And in my most favourite shape as well. Looks like you and I have excellent tastes!

Cool

Hopefully someday I can find a gem like this. And it was a diamond in the rough until you applied your skills to it. Well done!

cheers

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Corncobcon

Registration date : 2017-10-15

PostSubject: Re: 1962 DUNHILL ROOT BRIAR BENT BULLDOG REFURB   Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:02 pm

That looks terrific! You did a great job on that restoration. Question: How did you get the bite marks out of
the mouthpiece?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bonanzadriver

PostSubject: Re: 1962 DUNHILL ROOT BRIAR BENT BULLDOG REFURB   Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:20 pm

Corncobcon wrote:
That looks terrific! You did a great job on that restoration.   Question:  How did you get the bite marks out of
the mouthpiece?  

Thanks Conrad

First, I filed down both sides until the bite marks were gone

Second, I sanded it with micromesh

Third, I buffed it with a fine compound on my variable speed jewelry polisher

Fourth, I polished it with carnuba wax , again on the jewelry polisher
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ak2000

PostSubject: Re: 1962 DUNHILL ROOT BRIAR BENT BULLDOG REFURB   Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:25 pm

That is awesome!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.alphaprimecomm.com Online
JimInks

Registration date : 2012-08-31

PostSubject: Re: 1962 DUNHILL ROOT BRIAR BENT BULLDOG REFURB   Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:08 pm

Great job, Dino!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Corncobcon

PostSubject: Re: 1962 DUNHILL ROOT BRIAR BENT BULLDOG REFURB   Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:10 pm

Bonanzadriver wrote:
Corncobcon wrote:
That looks terrific! You did a great job on that restoration.   Question:  How did you get the bite marks out of
the mouthpiece?  

Thanks Conrad

First, I filed down both sides until the bite marks were gone

Second, I sanded it with micromesh

Third, I buffed it with a fine compound on my variable speed jewelry polisher

Fourth, I polished it with carnuba wax , again on the jewelry polisher

Thank you for that information. I bite my bits a lot and have a few to restore! Thanks to AK2000 I learned about the rubber tips you slip over the bit and now I
use them all the time! It took some time to get used to but I managed!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bonanzadriver

PostSubject: Re: 1962 DUNHILL ROOT BRIAR BENT BULLDOG REFURB   Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:13 pm

Thank you all for your kind comments.

I'm sittin here in the Mancave, lookin up on the Bent Bulldog Shelves and admiring my newest addition to the stable.

It really is a beautiful little briar with really nice birdseye on the bottom of the stummel and shank.

Think I'll let it sit up there for a while before I smoke it... KInda hate to mess it up. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: 1962 DUNHILL ROOT BRIAR BENT BULLDOG REFURB   Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:57 am

Thats a great shape and excellent restoration, enjoy it!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: 1962 DUNHILL ROOT BRIAR BENT BULLDOG REFURB   Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:13 pm

You did yourself proud on that little jewel!!! My feeble mind is a blank at the moment...Is the pipe a DH P, an O, or a PO? PO is what I'm thinkin' off the top of my head!! Enjoy that Dunnie!! cheers FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bonanzadriver

PostSubject: Re: 1962 DUNHILL ROOT BRIAR BENT BULLDOG REFURB   Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:23 pm

ftrplt wrote:
You did yourself proud on that little jewel!!! My feeble mind is a blank at the moment...Is the pipe a DH P, an O, or a PO? PO is what I'm thinkin' off the top of my head!! Enjoy that Dunnie!! cheers FTRPLT

On the left side of the shank there is the following

A large P

A smaller F/T

Then, the same size as the F/T is...

DUNHILL
ROOT BRIAR

On the right side is

MADE IN
ENGLAND 2 (the 2 is smaller without a line under it

Then a 4 with a circle around it
And a Large
R beside it

Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: 1962 DUNHILL ROOT BRIAR BENT BULLDOG REFURB   Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:50 pm

Very nice. Excellent work, Dino.

Obviously from the before pics, someone loved smoking that Dunny.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: 1962 DUNHILL ROOT BRIAR BENT BULLDOG REFURB   Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:03 pm

Having around 28 doggies I never got around to getting a Dunnie! You've got a beaut!! And you did one FANTASTIC job of refurbing it ! Smoke it with pleasure ! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bonanzadriver

PostSubject: Re: 1962 DUNHILL ROOT BRIAR BENT BULLDOG REFURB   Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:40 pm

DrumsAndBeer wrote:
Very nice. Excellent work, Dino.

Obviously from the before pics, someone loved smoking that Dunny.

Agreed!

When I first saw it in person my first thought was that they damned near "love it to death" ! Shocked

pretty happy with the way it turned out.

By the way, it smokes great.

Broke it in last night with some aged Margate. What a wonderful smoke in a special briar.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bonanzadriver

PostSubject: Re: 1962 DUNHILL ROOT BRIAR BENT BULLDOG REFURB   Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:42 pm

monbla256 wrote:
Having around 28 doggies I never got around to getting a Dunnie! You've got a beaut!! And you did one FANTASTIC job of refurbing it ! Smoke it with pleasure ! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

MB256,

I too have almost 30 bulldogs in total with about 20 of em being bent.

Thanks for the compliment on this one though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: 1962 DUNHILL ROOT BRIAR BENT BULLDOG REFURB   Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:33 am

Bonanzadriver wrote:
Broke it in last night with some aged Margate.  What a wonderful smoke in a special briar.  

Excellent choice! One of my all time favorites.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: 1962 DUNHILL ROOT BRIAR BENT BULLDOG REFURB   Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:58 am

That is a 1962. A '52 would have a Patent number.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bonanzadriver

PostSubject: Re: 1962 DUNHILL ROOT BRIAR BENT BULLDOG REFURB   Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:05 am

riff raff wrote:
That is a 1962.  A '52 would have a Patent number.

I just learned this last night Riff.

I had inadvertently missed that part of the explanation of things when I was looking it up.

Guess I'll stick to refurbin em and let you pro's help me date em. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pipetrepid

Registration date : 2015-06-23

PostSubject: nice bulldog!   Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:49 pm

nice bulldog, really nice and great refurb job. a beauty! bill
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bonanzadriver

PostSubject: Re: 1962 DUNHILL ROOT BRIAR BENT BULLDOG REFURB   Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:56 am

pipetrepid wrote:
nice bulldog, really nice and great refurb job. a beauty!   bill

Thanks Bill.

Love the lines on it myself. Great smoker as well.

Dino
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pipetrepid

Registration date : 2015-06-23

PostSubject: Re: 1962 DUNHILL ROOT BRIAR BENT BULLDOG REFURB   Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:45 pm

dino, i like bent bulldogs, also! you did a heck of a job on that pipe! very nice, bill
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bonanzadriver

PostSubject: Re: 1962 DUNHILL ROOT BRIAR BENT BULLDOG REFURB   Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:47 am

pipetrepid wrote:
dino, i like bent bulldogs, also! you did a heck of a job on that pipe! very nice, bill

Thanks Bill.  Was enjoying a bowl of Squadron Leader in it last night.  Love the shape as well as how good it smokes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dolemiike

Registration date : 2017-12-25

PostSubject: Re: 1962 DUNHILL ROOT BRIAR BENT BULLDOG REFURB   Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:43 pm

She's gorgeous. And she IS a showcase piece for sure.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bonanzadriver

PostSubject: Re: 1962 DUNHILL ROOT BRIAR BENT BULLDOG REFURB   Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:48 pm

dolemiike wrote:
She's gorgeous. And she IS a showcase piece for sure.

Thanks dole,

I'm smokin 11 year old Margate in it now, admiring the lines and sippin Earl Grey
Back to top Go down
View user profile

1962 DUNHILL ROOT BRIAR BENT BULLDOG REFURB
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next