HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Do you clean directly after smoking or let it cool?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Fight'n Hampsters

Registration date : 2011-07-28

PostSubject: Do you clean directly after smoking or let it cool?   Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:59 pm

I tend to clean my pipe right after smoking but read in another post that another gentleman does so after it cools. Never thought of that.

Which do you do? any benefits to one vs the other that you can think of?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Navyflake

Registration date : 2017-06-01

PostSubject: Re: Do you clean directly after smoking or let it cool?   Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:03 pm

I will push a pipe cleaner through an assembled pipe. But, I do wait until cooled if I want to pull stem from bowl in order to prevent damage to the mortise.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Navyflake
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Do you clean directly after smoking or let it cool?   Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:11 pm

I like to stick a cleaner in a warm pipe and leave it for half an hour. Seems to absorb more. After it cools, I can finish with fresh cleaners and a little alcohol. Or, more likely, procrastinate and promise myself to do it "next time."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Do you clean directly after smoking or let it cool?   Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:38 pm

I clean on a warm pipe.

Dottle out using the Czech tool, give a blast of wind down the pipe to remove any loose moisture or stubborn baccy, run a cleaner through turning it into a cranking handle to give it a spin and then use the damp cleaner to clean the inside of the bowl. A quick polish with a dry cloth, set her down and I'm done. I'd rather do this straight after a smoke to catch any moisture before it has the opportunity to be absorbed by the briar (or cob).
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://stickballard.wixsite.com/blog
Fight'n Hampsters

Registration date : 2011-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Do you clean directly after smoking or let it cool?   Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:11 pm

Sounds like what I do. †And to clarify, I NEVER pull out the stem while warm. †If I am going to clean it more thoroughly like that I wait until cooled.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Do you clean directly after smoking or let it cool?   Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:39 pm

I put a cleaner to it while itís warm, sometimes leave the cleaner in it for a short time if it was smoking wet. If the cleaner looks grungy I might let the works cool, pull the stem, dip a bit of the cleaner into a wee drop of Jameson, and give the stummel air passage more attention.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Do you clean directly after smoking or let it cool?   Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:30 pm

I don't always get to it, but I try to clean em right after smoking.
Before any gunk gets a chance to solidify.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Do you clean directly after smoking or let it cool?   Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:33 pm

If by "cleaning" you mean reaming , bristle brush through the stem with pipe cleaning fluid as well as the bowl then a polish to the outside and stem, I only "clean" my pipes once a year. Rest of the time it's just a cleaner in the pipe for about 30 minutes, pull it out and put the pipe in the rack after a wipe down with my polishing cloth! KISS it I say !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Do you clean directly after smoking or let it cool?   Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:13 am

When I can, I like to scrape the bowl out when it's still a little warm. The gunk in the heel is still soft and whatever cake is very easy to scrape back too. Pipe cleaner in †the stem and good to go. That does a lot to keep a pipe usable until the next big clean.

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Do you clean directly after smoking or let it cool?   Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:39 am

Stick wrote:
I clean on a warm pipe.

Dottle out using the Czech tool, give a blast of wind down the pipe to remove any loose moisture or stubborn baccy, run a cleaner through turning it into a cranking handle to give it a spin and then use the damp cleaner to clean the inside of the bowl. †A quick polish with a dry cloth, set her down and I'm done. †I'd rather do this straight after a smoke to catch any moisture before it has the opportunity to be absorbed by the briar (or cob). †

This. Falcons make quick work of it too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Do you clean directly after smoking or let it cool?   Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:40 am

I run a pipe cleaner dipped in Bacardi 151 down the airway immediately after my smoke. Then I usually return to the pipe the next day and wipe the bowl out with a dry paper towel. Aside from this, that's all I do except when I am deep cleaning which is when I break my pipes apart for a more thorough work over.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hobie1dog

Registration date : 2010-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Do you clean directly after smoking or let it cool?   Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:52 am

I only give it 5 minutes or so to cool down, then run cleaners through the airway.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Do you clean directly after smoking or let it cool?
Page 1 of 1