HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Rope Tobacco

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
SpeedyPete

Registration date : 2011-01-28

PostSubject: Rope Tobacco   Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:09 am

I've never smoked any rope tobacco in the more than 50 years I'm on the pipe.

I reckon I should try everything available, even if it's only once.

I'm sure the brothers can help me chose one or two blends?

I love strong tobacco but I don't want my socks burnt off my feet.

I thank you for your assistance cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Rope Tobacco   Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:55 am

Talking about the Sam Gawith & Gawith Hoggarth ropes (there may be others available, but if so, I haven't come across them), they both have well-made examples. All have fairly high N. In general, the thinner the rope, the more concentrated the flavors. The brown ropes will have slighter higher N and a more natural tobacco flavor. The black ropes . . . the first time I tried the SG version, I thought I was smoking the burnt fat of off a very unclean grill. It's probably the most intense flavor of all the ones I've tried. Despite that, I rather enjoy the GH version.

GH also has more cased versions. If you can order from Mr Snuff in Northern Ireland, they usually have a wide array of the flavored versions in their 'smokeless tobacco section' https://mrsnuff.com/gawith-hoggarth-twist-c-186_188.html although it looks pretty limited at the moment.

You may also consider SG's Brown #4, which has a bit of Kentucky & cigar leaf twisted in with VAs. Also, GH sells (or sold, I've never seen it and there's only a review from 2006 at tobacco reviews) 'Beacon Light Twist' with less N.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
fsu92john

Registration date : 2014-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Rope Tobacco   Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:19 am

I can only speak to the GH ropes. Brown Irish X is one of my go-to smokes. It's pretty strong, but I don't think it's overpowering (less strong than something like D&R Picayune, for instance). The black twists are typically not as strong as the brown ones, but their flavor is definitely an acquired taste. I much prefer the brown twists.

The GH flavored twists are only lightly flavored for the most part, nothing like what most think of as an "aromatic." I've smoked and enjoyed the Sweet Rum, Sweet Maple, Black Cherry, and Sweet Coconut varieties.

To get started, you might just order an ounce or so each of the Brown Irish and Black Irish to get a feel for what each of the basic varieties is like. The flavored ropes are all based on the Brown Irish.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fsu92john

PostSubject: Re: Rope Tobacco   Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:20 am

I should add that you can also chew these, if you're into that. I'll occasionally chew one of the flavored twists; the nicotine hit is quite a bit stronger this way.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ak2000

Registration date : 2017-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Rope Tobacco   Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:02 pm

GH Brown Irish X or Maple Twist are very good. I think the GH Happy Brown Bogie and SG Brown #4 are stronger, the #4 in particular can make my head spin bom
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.alphaprimecomm.com
Dottleman

Registration date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Rope Tobacco   Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:10 am

DrT999 wrote:
I thought I was smoking the burnt fat of off a very unclean grill.  

This is gold Doc!

Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Rope Tobacco   Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:54 pm

Quite fond of the ropes myself. Don't discount even the strongest ropes out there. If you treat them with respect they are fine smokes. Don't try them in a large pipe, or on an empty stomach and you should be fine. The only other thing I have to add is that you can get a presliced rope from EACarey.Co.uk in England. Its one of their "house" blends. I'm sure its made by either S.G. or G&H. They have a number of blends that are straight up S.G. with their own twist added to them. Such as best brown flake with vanilla added to it. They ship worldwide and had no problem taking my American credit card or shipping to me in the US, so I'm sure South Africa shouldn't be a problem for them. The tobacco is Carey's Boutique Black Twist. It comes in a 50gram pouch and as I said is presliced. I haven't tried this one yet but was intending too after the new year.

Hope this is of some help Pete

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dolemiike

Registration date : 2017-12-25

PostSubject: Re: Rope Tobacco   Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:52 pm

I have some SG Brown #4 coming. This will be my first rope. I love Peter Heinrich Curly Block. It's not really a rope, more like a plug (Think of Escudo that is uncut) Just a bar of tobacco.

wolfeman
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Rope Tobacco   Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:25 pm

I enjoy the Gawith Hoggarth ropes, Sam G's not as much. Brown Irish X is very good, Black Irish X is more of an occasional smoke that I have to be in the mood for.

Sam G's Brown No. 4 is one of the strongest I have experienced. I find the flavor to be bone dry (devoid of any sweetness), very earthy & a bit spicy. Their Black XX must be experienced rather than described. Very strong though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedyPete

PostSubject: Re: Rope Tobacco   Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:32 pm

I thank you for all your feedback, my brothers !

I'm going to submit an order in the new year as soon as the Christmas rush is over.

I will tell you all what I've ordered.

Just a thought; I still have a cigar cutter from the days when I could still afford to smoke them. I was wondering whether I could use this tool to snip the ropes?

cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Rope Tobacco   Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:52 pm

SpeedyPete wrote:

Just a thought;  I still have a cigar cutter from the days when I could  still afford to smoke them. I was wondering whether I could use this tool to snip the ropes?

cheers cheers

A really good one might (the little cheap ones won't, or at least mine didn't). I think a good knife or kitchen shears would work better.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
Big G

Registration date : 2009-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Rope Tobacco   Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:30 pm

SpeedyPete wrote:
I thank you for all your feedback, my brothers !

I'm going to submit an order in the new year as soon as the Christmas rush is over.

I will tell you all what  I've ordered.

Just a thought;  I still have a cigar cutter from the days when I could  still afford to smoke them. I was wondering whether I could use this tool to snip the ropes?

cheers cheers

I have a Xikar cutter that works great for cutting ropes.  You can cut nice thin coins that can be easily rubbed out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Rope Tobacco   Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:34 pm

Ropes kick my scrawny lil' arse! SG Brown in particular. Hey-suess Maria - talk about a nic-overdose!!  silent

I did get in some of the SG Black at some point many years ago but have conveniently forgotten about it. Maybe I should dig it out and give it a whirl but have no idea where it might be - or perhaps it would be better off just forgotten about!

I was gifted some kind of skinny rope many years ago from Greyson (remember him?), and that seemed pretty mild in the nic-dept. Wonder where that got off to? But also remember that as kind of "meh".

Not inclined to try any of the G&H ropes. More for youse guys!

Surprised

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
fsu92john

PostSubject: Re: Rope Tobacco   Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:16 pm

SpeedyPete wrote:

cheers cheers

If it's sturdy, it should work. Be warned that I've broken several cheapo cigar cutters this way.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ak2000

PostSubject: Re: Rope Tobacco   Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:12 am

SpeedyPete wrote:

cheers cheers

It's got to be really sharp double guillotine. A cigar scissors works best IMO or a very sharp pocket knife.
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Rope Tobacco   Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:25 am

Why gunk up your good cigar cutter? Use a good, very sharp knife...even chef’s knives work well. Just clean the blade off really well. You’ll find that the Salivary Amylase in spit is a good solvent for “rope gunk”.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
dolemiike

PostSubject: Re: Rope Tobacco   Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:39 pm

Like I said, I have brown #4 coming. Because of this thread, I also have happy brown bogie coming too. Hahaha

Wolfeman
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ak2000

PostSubject: Re: Rope Tobacco   Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:31 pm

dolemiike wrote:
Like I said, I have brown #4 coming. Because of this thread, I also have happy brown bogie coming too. Hahaha

Wolfeman

Let them dry a bit before packing...
Back to top Go down
dolemiike

PostSubject: Re: Rope Tobacco   Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:34 pm

Thanks for the tip. The brown #4 came in and it was bone dry. I called up smoking pipes. They said that wasn't normal, so I sent it back and a replacement should be in the way. The happy bogie should be here any day now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ak2000

PostSubject: Re: Rope Tobacco   Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:15 pm

Yup, the ropes are among the most moist tobaccos I've had. Sorry to hear, but they are really good with service.
Back to top Go down
dolemiike

PostSubject: Re: Rope Tobacco   Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:25 pm

Yes they are. I had to return the 250g brown#4 and a 250g Kendal plug that was moldy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Rope Tobacco   Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:40 pm

dolemiike wrote:
Yes they are. I had to return the 250g brown#4 and a 250g Kendal plug that was moldy

Wow! Not good to hear, but sp will make it right no matter what. They're a class act.

cherry

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
SpeedyPete

PostSubject: Re: Rope Tobacco   Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:44 am

It seems as if this thread opened up a can of ropes?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dolemiike

PostSubject: Re: Rope Tobacco   Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:49 pm

Give a man enough rope........
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cigrmaster

Registration date : 2012-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Rope Tobacco   Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:33 pm

So what ever happened to your rope experiment? Did SP make good? I was interested to hear your take on the SG Brown #4. I had tried that along with XX Twist and was not a fan. Just too meaty and smokey for my tastes.

I do enjoy the Peter Heinrichs Curly Block which is described by the mfg to be a rope. I cut thin coins with my swiss army knife and then cube cut it from there. It does take some drying time as it comes fairly moist.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Rope Tobacco
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next