HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Bic to light your pipe?

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Konrad_von_Marburg

Registration date : 2017-12-27

PostSubject: Bic to light your pipe?   Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:10 pm

Can I just use a Bic lighter to light my pipe? Or is that just such an atrocious heresy that I should be burned merely for asking it?

Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Bic to light your pipe?   Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:53 pm

A bic is fair game, the only lighter you should avoid is any type of torch lighter. You are likely to cause a burn out using torch lighters.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Bic to light your pipe?   Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:56 pm

No real worries with a Bic. You'll probably burn your finger or thumb before you hurt the pipe....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Bic to light your pipe?   Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:34 pm

Ozark Wizard wrote:
No real worries with a Bic. You'll probably burn your finger or thumb before you hurt the pipe....

This for sure! Wooden matches are better !! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Bic to light your pipe?   Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:32 am

monbla256 wrote:
Ozark Wizard wrote:

This for sure! Wooden matches are better !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

BS IMHO. Wooden matches are not better. Itís whatever works best for you. I use refillable style butane lighters almost exclusively. Hate fumbling around with matches.

View user profile
Fr_Tom

Registration date : 2013-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Bic to light your pipe?   Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:33 am

If there is some problem with using a Bic, I never got the memo. I use them all the time. The one that I leave in the truck has to be warmed up in my hand before I use it on a day like today (-14 when I woke up).
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/user/14371
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: Bic to light your pipe?   Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:00 am

Blackhorse wrote:
monbla256 wrote:
Ozark Wizard wrote:

This for sure! Wooden matches are better !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

BS IMHO. †Wooden matches are not better. Itís whatever works best for you. I use refillable style butane lighters almost exclusively. Hate fumbling around with matches.

I too use refillable fuel lighters when I'm away from my house, but remember, most lighters especially Bics were designed for the 1.5 second light needed for cigarettes and their fuel capacity is based on this. You'll use 'em up fuel wise faster lighting a pipe. JMHE Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
swhipple

Registration date : 2013-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Bic to light your pipe?   Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:59 am

I use Bics almost all the time. They are convenient and last quite a while before running out of gas. I find the only lighter that works better is a dedicated pipe style lighter. I have a couple of those but I get tired of refilling them weekly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Bic to light your pipe?   Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:05 am

I like two butane lighters specifically...both refillable. The best IMHO is the Clipper which I love. It has a massive fuel capacity and lasts me for weeks & also takes standard flints. Plus you can tamp with it. I donít know if it is still available but my other fav is the Robson Comet.

You can get the Clipper shipped free on Amazon for a bit over a buck apiece...lots of options...

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_3_7?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=clipper+lighter&sprefix=Clipper%2Caps%2C206&crid=3JMK4YCM3OHCT

View user profile
Puffer Mark

Registration date : 2014-07-14

PostSubject: Re: Bic to light your pipe?   Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:51 am

I use these. Pretty compact, reliable, and saves burned fingers:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
skaukatt

Registration date : 2007-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Bic to light your pipe?   Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:57 pm

If it matters to you, just take care not to scorch the rim of the bowl while lighting. That's why so called, "pipe" lighters have an angled flame.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.newyorkpipeclub.com
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Bic to light your pipe?   Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:46 am

Bics are okay, but are no better in a breeze than a match. I like the Zippo with the pipe insert for their winning combo of function and price. Conditions permitting, the wooden match is a nice, precise pipe lighting tool. The more expensive lighters donít give added value for the extra cost, though they look cool.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
denholrl

Registration date : 2012-10-19

PostSubject: re: BIC lighters   Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:05 pm

Some come with adjustable flame height. Those are best for pipe-lighting. I use a BIC for one-handed lighting, e.g., when I'm driving. I avoid using it when the bowl is half full. That's a good time to scorch the wood. Better to use it just for the first couple of lights.

Rob D.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Bic to light your pipe?   Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:26 am

I used BICís for years but I got tired of scorching rims and burning my fingers. I still use kitchen matches from time to time but I upgraded to two Kiribi Kabutoís. Love the soft adjustable flame and long lasting fuel tank
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stinger4me

Registration date : 2010-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Bic to light your pipe?   Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:11 am

I like using wooden matches. †These days the only wooden matches I have access to are Diamond brand. †Their quality control has plummeted. †The smaller ones are difficult to light. †The larger kitchen matches are better but inconvenient to carry. †The strike anywhere variety don't seem to be available. †I will have to check for some of the brands listed in this topic.

† † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † Stinger
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Bic to light your pipe?   Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:20 pm

Hereís a smokerís pocket-size carrying solution for kitchen matches. The small flake tobacco tins from Pete, Mac Baren, Dunhill etc are a good size for holding an ample supply of these. Just cut off an inch or two of the striking strip from the match box, and use a glue stick to fix it to the inside of the tobacco tin lid. Voila! A handy carrier for matches, tamper and a couple bent cleaners. Kinda coof looking, too, Iíd say😉. Sure, you can use bigger tins, if you like. I just like the convenient size of the smaller tin.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
DrumsAndBeer

PostSubject: Re: Bic to light your pipe?   Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:30 pm

Stinger4me wrote:
I like using wooden matches. †These days the only wooden matches I have access to are Diamond brand. †Their quality control has plummeted. †The smaller ones are difficult to light. †The larger kitchen matches are better but inconvenient to carry. †The strike anywhere variety don't seem to be available. †I will have to check for some of the brands listed in this topic. Stinger

The strike anywhere's aren't much better in terms of QC. On average, at least an 8th of the matches flare up and go out or snap in half. They are still dirt freaking cheap & I also use them to light my smoker/grill, but Swan matches they are not..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stinger4me

Registration date : 2010-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Bic to light your pipe?   Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:33 pm

DramsAndBeer, nice to hear I am not alone in the QC issue with matches. †KevinM I will locate a small tin and work out a solution to the match issue. †Thanks very much for the information.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Bic to light your pipe?   Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:29 pm

Diamond penny matches still work pretty well for me. Can't say I've noticed any significant deterioration in quality, and I use them every day. Have done for many years.

scratch

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: Bic to light your pipe?   Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:01 pm

Stinger4me wrote:
I like using wooden matches. †These days the only wooden matches I have access to are Diamond brand. †Their quality control has plummeted. †The smaller ones are difficult to light. †The larger kitchen matches are better but inconvenient to carry. †The strike anywhere variety don't seem to be available. †I will have to check for some of the brands listed in this topic.

† † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † Stinger

The strike anywhere aren't made anymore. The Interstate Commerce stopped allowing them to be transported across the country. So all you have available now are the "strike on box" variety.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AJ

Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Bic to light your pipe?   Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:29 am

DrumsAndBeer wrote:
I used BICís for years but I got tired of scorching rims and burning my fingers. I still use kitchen matches from time to time but I upgraded to two Kiribi Kabutoís. Love the soft adjustable flame and long lasting fuel tank

^^^^^^^This + 1^^^^^^^. I use the Kiribi for lighting my pipes while on the inside of my house and my Nimrod Commander whenever I go outside. JMO but no other lighter equals the Nimrod Commander in quality and dependability. Smile

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

PostSubject: Re: Bic to light your pipe?   Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:01 am

AJ, good to see you around again.

Itís been awhile. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AJ

Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Bic to light your pipe?   Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:12 am

DrumsAndBeer wrote:
AJ, good to see you around again.

Itís been awhile. Cool

Thanks Chris. Not sure how long I'll be able to stick around but for now it"s good to be back with my many friends which certainly includes you. Smile

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Bic to light your pipe?   Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:17 pm

Hey AJ, also great to see you posting again. You've been missed!

Very Happy

Don't think I've used a bic to light a pipe. Cigars, yes, pipes, no. However, if and when I travel via air I'll certainly pick up a bic when I land. Don't want to carry anything that would be confiscated by the overzealous TSA gendarmes!

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
cigrmaster

Registration date : 2012-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Bic to light your pipe?   Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:44 pm

I prefer using a pipe lighter that has a tamper built in. My weapon of choice is an IM Corona Pipemaster. The fuel capacity is good and the tamper is pretty long. I get much better control with the angled flame than I did with a Bic.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Bic to light your pipe?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next