HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Marmite!

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Marmite!   Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:52 pm

OK so this is very probably a love or hate relationship. No middle ground. I love it.

For those not familiar with it, it's a yeast extract with a very strong flavour. One spreads it on well buttered, well toasted bread. And very thinly, as a little goes a long way. This isn't peanut butter!

How to describe it here is difficult. Suffice to say that it's decidedly not sweet. Rather, it's bold, quite salty, and forthright. Savoury. I find it perfect for b'fast when this is centre stage. Not for those who are flavour challenged! A bit of an acquired taste admittedly, but once one has the taste there is no going back!

I remember author Bill Bryson describing it as looking like an industrial lubricant. That's pretty accurate actually. Heh!  Smile

I've also tried the Australian equivalent Vegemite, and it's pretty close to Marmite but a bit different somehow.

Any other Marmite devotees here?

Very Happy

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
fsu92john

Registration date : 2014-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Marmite!   Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:29 pm

I like it a lot. I usually spread it on a cracker and put a small piece of cheddar on top. Umami city.

It's definitely an acquired taste, though, as you said.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fight'n Hampsters

Registration date : 2011-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Marmite!   Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:49 pm

What type of stores would carry this? I wouldn't mind trying it. Any national chains?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Marmite!   Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:39 pm

Fight'n Hampsters wrote:
What type of stores would carry this? I wouldn't mind trying it.  Any national chains?

I get mine locally from the QFC (part of the Kroger chain). They have a small British import section. The small 4.4 oz (125 gm) jar sells for $7.99, and that's prolly double what it would be in Blighty!

If you have a British import store in your area they would likely stock it. Otherwise you can order it from amazon.

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
Fight'n Hampsters

Registration date : 2011-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Marmite!   Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:23 pm

thanks!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Timbo

Registration date : 2015-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Marmite!   Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:50 pm

Got to be a patriotic Aussie and chime in for vegemite here, much prefer it to marmite. Saltier and sharper in flavour, try it spread thinly on toast with a fried egg on top. Yum

When vegemite was first released, in the best Aussie humour, it was called Pawill. Get it Ma might, Pa will... 

Cheers

Tim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
allyby

Registration date : 2013-01-09

PostSubject: Re: Marmite!   Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:55 am

Marmite flavoured Crisps are fantastic.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=marmite+crisps&hl=en-GB&rlz=1T4GGHP_en-GBGB446GB447&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjI1KaqlsPYAhVrJ8AKHSaUCVYQ_AUICygC&biw=1024&bih=657
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fsu92john

Registration date : 2014-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Marmite!   Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:55 am

allyby wrote:

Just ordered some from Amazon. Thanks for the tip!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fazby

Registration date : 2010-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Marmite!   Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:08 pm

I have never had Marmite, but I have tried Vegemite. Not bad, but not something I will look for, although I can se ethe attraction. Probably an acquired taste.

A while back, for some reason I had a small jar (like a sample) and gave it to a co-worker who was raised in Oz. He dug in with his fingers and cleared the jar. I got the impression that he had it before and liked it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Marmite!   Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:06 pm

allyby wrote:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=marmite+crisps&hl=en-GB&rlz=1T4GGHP_en-GBGB446GB447&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjI1KaqlsPYAhVrJ8AKHSaUCVYQ_AUICygC&biw=1024&bih=657

I'll be sure to try those ally. There's also some other Marmite flavoured snacks available from amazon that look interesting.

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Marmite!   Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:52 pm

Timbo wrote:
Got to be a patriotic Aussie and chime in for vegemite here, much prefer it to marmite. Saltier and sharper in flavour, try it spread thinly on toast with a fried egg on top. Yum

When vegemite was first released, in the best Aussie humour, it was called Pawill. Get it Ma might, Pa will... 

Cheers

Tim

Tim

I'll need to revisit Vegamite as it's been too many years. Seem to remember it as being "Marmite Lite". Not that that's a bad thing mind.

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
Timbo

Registration date : 2015-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Marmite!   Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:26 pm

Happy to send a jar your way if you've any troubles finding some BD. I suppose marmite is burley to vegemite's Virginias is the best taste analogy I can think of or perhaps a porter vs IPA. Shouldn't be too surprised you like the 'mites as they're both brewing by-products. 

A tasty snack is to lightly spread marmite/vegemite on puff pastry, roll it up and cut the log into coins then back till crispy.  Great with beer. 

Cheers

Tim
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Marmite!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Related Pursuits :: The Kitchen & The Speakeasy-
Jump to: