HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

GERMAIN

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
GuitarMyFriend

Registration date : 2012-02-23

PostSubject: GERMAIN   Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:44 pm

So...
How the heck does one come across anything by J.F. Germain/Esoterica? Iíve never seen it in any Tobacconist/shop Iíve been to. Is it strictly something you fellas order online? Is there a dark alley that Iím supposed to go to meet a shady looking man with a Penzance-lined trench coat? Is there a treasure chest buried beneath the sands of Jamaica filled with tins of Medium Flake? Is there a member with access to an olive colored crate in A secret base in Nevada with black lettering across the side reading, ďStone HavenĒ? Is it something that old timers had such access to, that they would literally use a tin of Pembroke as a door wedge in the summer, but has since disappeared, leaving new-ish pipe smokers with nothing but stories and old timers with no door wedge?!?
I GOTTA KNOW!!!
Zach
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BriarBeagle

Registration date : 2016-11-08

PostSubject: Re: GERMAIN   Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:11 pm

For me it's been a mix of right place at the right time, and actively hunting for it. I've had some success with private sellers offering it up in the Reddit "pipetobaccomarket" feed. Also, I've placed myself on the "notify me when it becomes available" with several online shops. The only problem is that you have to respond quickly as it goes fast, wherever it turns up. Anything in particular you're looking for?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ak2000

Registration date : 2017-10-15

PostSubject: Re: GERMAIN   Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:19 pm

Medium Flake is the most accessible, gotta order it from a German shop though. The rest is luck.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.alphaprimecomm.com
GuitarMyFriend

PostSubject: Re: GERMAIN   Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:21 pm

I do my best to refrain from purchasing online, therefore the waiting list would just make me envious with no relief.
I actually had one tobacconist laugh at me when asking about it...
Iím always interested in trying new tobaccos, but the ones that scream at me are Penzance, Stonehaven, Dunbar, And Tillbury.
This coming week my wife and I will be going on a mini vacation and I will be stopping at three tobacconists Iíve never been to, so hopefully something will come up. Paulís Pipe Shop is one of them, and being a bit of a famous store gives me high hopes! Iíll probably just face laughter again. Razz
Zach
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BriarBeagle

PostSubject: Re: GERMAIN   Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:27 pm

Shot you a PM, GMF
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: GERMAIN   Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:35 pm

I feel your pain. Timing and good will from others are the dealer's choice. Let me dig around a bit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GuitarMyFriend

PostSubject: Re: GERMAIN   Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:40 pm

Thatís what Iím gathering! Does anyone know if itís more readily available across the pond? Iíve heard rumors...
Zach
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ak2000

Registration date : 2017-10-15

PostSubject: Re: GERMAIN   Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:44 pm

Germain's is readily available in the UK, but that is where it's made.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.alphaprimecomm.com
GuitarMyFriend

PostSubject: Re: GERMAIN   Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:49 pm

Ah. So they get to sit about all day, munching biscuits and smoking delicious mythical tobaccos.
Zach
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BriarBeagle

PostSubject: Re: GERMAIN   Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:54 pm

GuitarMyFriend wrote:
Ah. So they get to sit about all day, munching biscuits and smoking delicious mythical tobaccos.
Zach

Pretty much. Only problem is that there are restrictions for retailers in the US sending tobacco to the US (or perhaps its and issue with credit card payments). Don't know for sure. There are none that I have found that will ship it here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GuitarMyFriend

PostSubject: Re: GERMAIN   Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:02 am

That seems odd. Or downright unfair... one of the two.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: GERMAIN   Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:55 am

GuitarMyFriend wrote:
That seems odd. Or downright unfair... one of the two.

Probably both!

I know that certain credit card companies have adopted policies restricting tobacco purchases. Most notably in the EU.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: GERMAIN   Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:08 pm

One of our forum members used to run a Germain group buy, I forget who the retailer was, but I believe the shop was outside the UK, German or Danish perhaps.

Finding the Esoterica stuff takes some timing. I know that some folks have stopped signing up for one time alerts from the big pants e-tailers, but I find them to be a useful barometer for telling when the tobacco is hitting the market and could potentially be appearing in smaller shops. Then you know it's time to pick up the phone, afterall there's a lot more out there than what SP, P&C and 4noggins receive.

I remember walking into our local B&M 8-9 years ago and their bulk jars were filled with Tilbury, Stonehaven, Penzance, Margate, Pembroke, Dunbar, Dorchester, And So to Bed, Blackpool & Ramsgate. I used to buy 1-2 ounces at a time and return several months later to buy more. Always in stock, although 6 bucks an ounce. I remember scoffing at the price too. Times have changed...Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: GERMAIN   Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:48 pm

Be warned brother, it may ruin you for other tobaccos for a long time. The only English etailer i know of that takes visa and ships to the states still is EACarey.co.uk. Their selection isnt great and doesnt have anything from Germaine but you might find something you'll enjoy. Their house blends are done up for them
by one or both of the houses of Gawith so great quality stuff. They have a Squadron Leader knock off and Best Brown Flake with vanilla added to it. Personally I find their Dark Flake No 7 to be a real treat. I wish you luck in your search.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedyPete

Registration date : 2011-01-28

PostSubject: Re: GERMAIN   Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:57 pm

I've stopped hunting for this tobacco because it simply isn't worth the while. Period
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GuitarMyFriend

PostSubject: Re: GERMAIN   Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:23 pm

SpeedyPete wrote:
I've stopped hunting for this tobacco because it simply isn't worth the while. Period

Whyís that?

And Huffelpuff, thanks for the warning!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lesath

Registration date : 2011-07-22

PostSubject: Re: GERMAIN   Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:20 pm

Some folks have sold their soul to the shadowy consortium that controls the ebb and flow and distribution from J.F. Germain & Son, Jersey, Channel Islands, Great Britain. †Have you tried any of their blends, or is subliminal TAD haunting your consciousness on all levels? †I'm glad you've sent a plea to the Esoterica/Germain hotline, and possibly your salvation from your agony, or from the compromise that ensues by dealing in the dark seamy underside of the tobacco world. †Let us know how you fare on the vacation phase of your pilgrimage, and perhaps on your return, providence will prevail. †Until then, a safe journey.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: GERMAIN   Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:45 pm

Lesath wrote:
Some folks have sold their soul to the shadowy consortium that controls the ebb and flow and distribution from J.F. Germain & Son, Jersey, Channel Islands, Great Britain. †Have you tried any of their blends, or is subliminal TAD haunting your consciousness on all levels? †I'm glad you've sent a plea to the Esoterica/Germain hotline, and possibly your salvation from your agony, or from the compromise that ensues by dealing in the dark seamy underside of the tobacco world. †Let us know how you fare on the vacation phase of your pilgrimage, and perhaps on your return, providence will prevail. †Until then, a safe journey.

Lesath makes a good point.

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.randereed.com
GuitarMyFriend

PostSubject: Re: GERMAIN   Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:59 pm

Lesath wrote:

Oh how I wish I had been in the same room as one of their blends. Itís definately the subliminal TAD thatís making me want to stock up on them and lock them away in a safe, but itís curiosity, and a sudden change in palate, that makes me want to try them. I have to say, your post has frightened me. I was unaware there was going to be such internal pain and anguish involved in debunking these Tobacco-myths. Maybe I should just stay home...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WandererOfWeirdPaths

Registration date : 2015-01-26

PostSubject: Re: GERMAIN   Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:12 am

I reached out via email to several pipe tobacco retailers, and ended up getting lucky a lot with Esoterica.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GuitarMyFriend

PostSubject: Re: GERMAIN   Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:34 am

WandererOfWeirdPaths wrote:
I reached out via email to several pipe tobacco retailers, and ended up getting lucky a lot with Esoterica.

I would definately do that, but I do not order online. I will take your advice though, and start to Email tobacco retailers in state to ask specifically for Esoterica/Germains. I normally have to email places to see if they sell pipe tobacco at all. It seems to be harder and harder to find shops that sell pipe tobacco at all where I live. The closest shop is a 1.5 hour drive away.
Thanks for the idea!
Zach
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedyPete

Registration date : 2011-01-28

PostSubject: Re: GERMAIN   Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:13 pm

GuitarMyFriend wrote:
SpeedyPete wrote:

Whyís that?

And Huffelpuff, thanks for the warning!

I've had both Stonehaven and Penzance. I don't care for either. Mellow Monk from Just For Him is a much nicer latakia, cheaper and available.

I still have some Penzance left, sitting from May 2011 but I prefer Mellow Monk by far.

Esoterica tobaccos are like Dunhill pipes......you want it because it's supposed to be the best. And then, when you eventually get it, you realize there are much better products. But you must proof it to yourself. I walked the walk with both tobacco and pipes lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ontariopiper

Registration date : 2015-03-10

PostSubject: Re: GERMAIN   Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:55 pm

SpeedyPete wrote:
Esoterica tobaccos are like Dunhill pipes......you want it because it's supposed to be the best. †And then, when you eventually get it, you realize there are much better products. †But you must proof it to yourself. †I walked the walk with both tobacco and pipes †lol!

Aaaaaannnnnd there it is! Thanks for saying it out loud, SpeedyPete! Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dadspipes.com
DrumsAndBeer

PostSubject: Re: GERMAIN   Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:49 pm

Well to each his own and this kind of stuff is all very subjective.

For what itís worth, I think Dunbar and Dorchester are two of the finest VaPers on the market, Tilbury is a well nuanced, rich tasting VaBur and Margate is an exceptional English mixture and probably one of my top 5 favorites.

Stonehaven and Penzance? Both are good in my books but Germain makes at least 7 blends that I prefer.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

PostSubject: Re: GERMAIN   Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:23 pm

ak2000 wrote:
Medium Flake is the most accessible, gotta order it from a German shop though. The rest is luck.

Andy, just out of curiosity whatís the name of the German shop that carries the Medium Flake?

Thanks, Chris..
Back to top Go down
View user profile

GERMAIN
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: The Tobacco Jar-
Jump to: