HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

french press

Go down 
AuthorMessage
arkansaspiper

Registration date : 2016-01-22

PostSubject: french press    Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:24 am

who else drinks there coffee in this fashion
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GuitarMyFriend

Registration date : 2012-02-23

PostSubject: Re: french press    Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:12 pm

I do! Iím having Backpackers Blend, from Kalamazoo Coffee Co. A little lighter roast than Iím used to but still a good cup o, joe!

Is your french press a insulated (double walled) one? Iíve been looking for one thatís bigger than this ceramic one thatís insulated.
I believe REI sells, or used to sell, one.
But anyhow, howís your morning Arky?

Zach
Back to top Go down
View user profile
arkansaspiper

PostSubject: Re: french press    Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:38 pm

yes dude it keeps it hot for ever well worth tge 75 dollars i payed. morning is great got my puppy on my lap and im chillin
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GuitarMyFriend

Registration date : 2012-02-23

PostSubject: Re: french press    Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:53 pm

Right on man, you gotta brand for me on that sucker?
Isnít your pooch huge?!?!? My 75 lb American Foxhound thinks heís a lapdog. We named him Snuff Inconvenience.
Glad your morning is good!
Zach
Back to top Go down
View user profile
arkansaspiper

PostSubject: Re: french press    Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:05 pm

have you ever had a english fox hound they are neat to
www.frieling.com they sell top notch restraunt quality french presses and other stuff. thats where u can get one
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: french press    Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:08 pm

I use a French press. It's the best way to make cold-brewed coffee*, too. The only way? Takes 12 hours or so, but I feel it is definitely worth it. I don't always do it though, because I'm a lazy human.

*coffee grounds in the French press, add water, stir, place in fridge, stirring occasionally if you remember to do it, plunge or filter 12 hours later, and there you have it. Same coffee as with hot water, but with cold water and less acid.

The best coffee I've ever made at home was with an old school Italian stove-top maker like this:
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: french press    Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:36 pm

The wife and I have used a French Press for years. We have both a 24 oz. and 48 oz version. I even roast my own beans!! cheers FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zeno Marx

PostSubject: Re: french press    Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:23 pm

ftrplt wrote:
The wife and I have used a French Press for years. We have both a 24 oz. and 48 oz version. I even roast my own beans!! :cheers: FTRPLT
I would love to know your process and gear. I've wanted to roast for a long time. I live in an area where the darkest roast beans, which is what I prefer, sit and sit and sit. It's all stale. I very rarely find fresh darkest roast coffee. I would love to see a thread on roasting coffee. I could at least get an idea of whether it is a solution or whether I want to mess with it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: french press    Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:10 pm

Zeno Marx wrote:
ftrplt wrote:
The wife and I have used a French Press for years. We have both a 24 oz. and 48 oz version. I even roast my own beans!! cheers FTRPLT
I would love to know your process and gear. †I've wanted to roast for a long time. †I live in an area where the darkest roast beans, which is what I prefer, sit and sit and sit. †It's all stale. †I very rarely find fresh darkest roast coffee. †I would love to see a thread on roasting coffee. †I could at least get an idea of whether it is a solution or whether I want to mess with it.

Zeno

This is the premier place to get your equipment, beans, advice, and much more-

https://www.sweetmarias.com/

I once came close to getting the Behmor 1600 roaster. Seemed like the ideal set-up.

Here's a youtube vid showing how to do it-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RbUCO_MM20

Some of the finest coffee I've ever had was home roasted. BH once sent me a single varietal dark roast that rocked my world. Think it might have been Indian peaberry. It had kind of a black cherry thing going on with it.

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
arkansaspiper

PostSubject: Re: french press    Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:23 pm

my buddy roasts and has 4 roasters. he told me i could roast in a air popcorn popper so i might try that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zeno Marx

PostSubject: Re: french press    Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:24 pm

thanks, brewdude. I wonder if you can use a skillet to slowly dry the beans rather than wiring and hooking up that variable speed deal. from skillet to popcorn popper to cooling to bag? I have a popper and all the other things, even an air mattress blower. I don't want to wire anything though. I might have to investigate and experiment for myself.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
arkansaspiper

PostSubject: Re: french press    Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:32 pm

my buddy just said let the poppper heat up amd let them.roast till.they wearch desired roast
Back to top Go down
View user profile
huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: french press    Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:04 am

Zeno, I know quite a few folks into primitive camping and they do the entire process in a skillet over coals when they go out. I'm sure it would be even easier on a real stove top. Only thing to keep in mind is keep the beans moving or they will burn.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ftrplt

PostSubject: Re: french press    Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:24 am

Zeno Marx wrote:
ftrplt wrote:
I would love to know your process and gear. †I've wanted to roast for a long time. †I live in an area where the darkest roast beans, which is what I prefer, sit and sit and sit. †It's all stale. †I very rarely find fresh darkest roast coffee. †I would love to see a thread on roasting coffee. †I could at least get an idea of whether it is a solution or whether I want to mess with it.

I use the Freshroast SR500 bought at sweetmarias.com. I buy most of my green coffee beans from them also. By playing with the SR500 (reading the directions helps also!!), you can get your beans as light or dark/oily as you wish. There are a whole slew of places to buy good beans including a few in H'awaii. I also buy already roasted beans from the Pinon Coffee folks in Albuquerque. Makes a great cup a' joe!! cheers FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Oxman

Registration date : 2014-06-05

PostSubject: Re: french press    Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:55 am

Yup I use a French press every day except Sunday when I use the Italian coffee pot as above.

I prefer the taste from the Italian pot, it just takes a little longer and I am not patient enough when running to work!

Plenty of coffee choices here in Africa, so nice to experiment.. strangely though, my brew of choice at the moment is a bag of 8 O'clock Colombian i picked up in Target when i was in the Chicago in December Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: french press    Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:34 pm

Oxman wrote:
Yup I use a French press every day except Sunday when I use the Italian coffee †pot as above.

I prefer the taste from the Italian pot, it just takes a little longer and I am not patient enough when running to work!

Plenty of coffee choices here in Africa, so nice to experiment.. strangely though, my brew of choice at the moment is a bag of 8 O'clock Colombian i picked up in Target when i was in the Chicago †in December Smile

Nothing wrong with 8 O'clock. I've enjoyed it myself in the past.

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: french press    Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:40 pm

I have used a Bodum french press for years. I guess I never really though too much about an insulated version. I usually finish my coffee well before it's cold.

Lately I have been cold brewing in the fridge. Excellent flavor that way.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jefe1037

Registration date : 2012-02-07

PostSubject: Re: french press    Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:42 am

Oxman wrote:
Yup I use a French press every day except Sunday when I use the Italian coffee †pot as above.

Plenty of coffee choices here in Africa, so nice to experiment.. strangely though, my brew of choice at the moment is a bag of 8 O'clock Colombian i picked up in Target when i was in the Chicago †in December Smile

Sorry I missed you. I know what to bring for you if I ever end up visiting Tanzania
Back to top Go down
View user profile
arkansaspiper

PostSubject: Re: french press    Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:44 am

i had to get insulated i drink it all day long easily ober 20 or more cups a day all day i have it at my side at any given time
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Oxman

Registration date : 2014-06-05

PostSubject: Re: french press    Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:16 pm

jefe1037 wrote:

Sorry I missed you. I know what to bring for you if I ever end up visiting Tanzania

Haha ... next time I am over, I will pm you!

Funnily enough I was in West Chicago staying at the Pheasnt run ! Sadly cannot be there for the pipe show Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: french press    Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:27 pm

Oxman wrote:

Ox - I used to use that Roaster. Got many, many fine batches from it. It ultimately died and this Christmas my wife got me the Behmor drum Roaster. Wow!

https://www.sweetmarias.com/product/behmor-1600-plus

Have you tried the following? If not do try it. Wow!

https://www.sweetmarias.com/product/sweet-marias-ethiopiques-blend-4839

Last edited by Blackhorse on Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: french press    Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:19 pm

Brewdude wrote:
Oxman wrote:

Cheers,

RR

'Dude,
you might remember when 8 o'clock coffee was sold as whole beans and they would grind it at the grocery store? My mother used to buy it at the A&P when I was a kid.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: french press    Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:30 pm

monbla256 wrote:
Brewdude wrote:
Oxman wrote:

Cheers,

RR

'Dude,
† you might remember when 8 o'clock coffee was sold as whole beans and they would grind it at the grocery store? My mother used to buy it at the A&P when I was a kid.

Yup. Remember it well. That was the first grocery store grinder I had ever seen and found it fascinating as a kid. They had a bigass chrome knob on it for setting the grind. Loved the way the coffee would smell during the grinding process. Think the bags were black with red lettering (no I didn't do a google search as I prefer to rely on memory).

Mom bought this for our fambly long before I started drinking coffee. But when she brewed it in the percolator in the morning you could smell it all throughout the house!

tongue

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
ftrplt

PostSubject: Re: french press    Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:41 pm

monbla256 wrote:
Brewdude wrote:
Oxman wrote:

Cheers,

RR

'Dude,
† you might remember when 8 o'clock coffee was sold as whole beans and they would grind it at the grocery store? My mother used to buy it at the A&P when I was a kid.

Same here!! I was fascinated by that Eight O'Clock grinder!! And at the A&P no less!! cheers FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile

french press
Page 1 of 1