HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

pre-carbonated bowls

Go down 
AuthorMessage
WandererOfWeirdPaths

Registration date : 2015-01-26

PostSubject: pre-carbonated bowls   Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:56 am

So, I've had a few pipes with the pre-carbonated bowls, and oftentimes it hasn't been a big deal. But lately I've been breaking in a Boswell I got for Christmas and man, I've had three smokes in it and the precarbon makes the first part of the bowl impossible to enjoy. Almost an acrid taste. This passes by the first third and then all is good, but it's very unpleasant at first and makes me not want to keep going. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or if some pipemakers pre-treat the bowls in different ways, but I'm wondering who else has experienced this and if you have any advice?

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ontariopiper

Registration date : 2015-03-10

PostSubject: Re: pre-carbonated bowls   Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:33 am

I haven't experienced this myself, but I've heard similar accounts from others. As I see it, you've got two options:

1 - keep smoking the pipe. The bad taste will go away eventually.
2 - remove the bowl coating and break the pipe in again.

#1 is easy but not tasty; #2 is not that much harder. A bit of sandpaper wrapped around a dowel or other such thing will remove the bowl coating reasonably quickly. Just be sure to stay parallel to the bowl walls to avoid enlarging the chamber bore.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dadspipes.com
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: pre-carbonated bowls   Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:08 pm

+1. I'd remove it posthaste. But maybe it's just "green" wood. In which case, I'd throw it away. Seriously, life's too short. I've had several pipes that just would not break in, whatever that means. To me, it means a bitter, hyper-nicotinic smoke every time, no matter what you do. Tends to appear in cheapos, like basket pipes.

(Come to think of it, I once had an "artisan" pipe that reeked of varnish, stain, or whatever hydrocarbon it was soaked in. The flavor was horrible and intolerable. I got rid of it.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WandererOfWeirdPaths

PostSubject: Re: pre-carbonated bowls   Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:04 am

Richard Burley wrote:

(Come to think of it, I once had an "artisan" pipe that reeked of varnish, stain, or whatever hydrocarbon it was soaked in. The flavor was horrible and intolerable. I got rid of it.)

It doesn't reek of anything, and overall is a really nice pipe. I've gotten this taste a little before in other pipes but it seemed a lot harsher in this one. I don't know if it's because I took a break from pipe smoking for a bit (as it's been a while since I've broken in one that had some taste issues) that it seems harsher or what? I know my dad had the pipe custom made, so I don't know if the fact that the pipe was JUST made before Christmas and hasn't had shelf time has anything to do with it? I guess we will see, it's usually the first quarter of a bowl where the taste hits, but it could just be from the beginning light and it just takes that long for the taste to leave my mouth. I've only smoked it three times, and the first time (Christmas Day) I didn't notice it. I'm actually taking a trip to Boswell's this Saturday so I might ask them about it, and I'm hoping it will be fine after a few more bowls. It's a beautiful pipe and was a really cool gift from dad so it's not something I'd throw away even if it ends up a bust.

I will keep everyone posted!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WandererOfWeirdPaths

PostSubject: Re: pre-carbonated bowls   Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:55 am

Good news. Smoked my fourth bowl in it and the taste was only there the first few puffs and it wasn't that strong at all! Guess I should be good now!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

pre-carbonated bowls
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: Pipe Techniques-
Jump to: