HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

TENNIS

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: TENNIS   Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:32 pm

Anyone here happen to love, play, and/or be into tennis?

I grew up in an odd situation. Farm town in the middle of the country with an abandoned private college that left behind beautiful old buildings and a set of picturesque tennis courts surrounded by giant old trees. Our high school also had a set of asphalt tennis courts, so we had more tennis courts than the rest of the county and all the surrounding counties combined. It was also at the height of McEnroe/Borg and Evert/Navratilova. In other words, when tennis was still on the mind of the mainstream, when a major tournement's men's final wasn't bumped by a re-run of Judge Judy and only found on ESPN's second or third channel.

I love tennis for a variety of reasons. As an aging person, I've come to realize one of the greatest things about tennis is that it is something you can play at 8 years old or 78 years old. You only need one other person. It's relatively inexpensive to play. It's a great workout for both mind and body. It has a small environmental footprint compared to other sports you can readily play in older years. And now, something even I'm surprised that I value: decorum. It's a sport where fans are still respectful of the traditions, the players, and the situation. If you watch the audience, you don't see a sea of human beings watching the game through the lens of their phones. They aren't slamming beers and spending more time going to the bathroom than they are watching the competition. People are quiet. As heated as the patriotism can be (the thing I like least about the sport), there's still: decorum.

The worst part of the game, other than the patriotism, is the towel. The towel and the neuroses. The reason a match can be five hours long is because they're reaching for a towel after every point. In-between points can be as long as a minute. It's something baseball battles as well with pitchers and batters farting around in-between each pitch. It's all psychological weakness and manipulation at the expense of the game.

The women's game, in my belief, has the finest set of analysts and commentators in all of sports. I do not exaggerate.

The worst commentators are McEnroe and Evert. I didn't think I'd ever say that, because as a kid, I was a very big fan of McEnroe.

So, what says you? Anyone?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: TENNIS   Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:33 pm

I'm not "into" it exactly, but tennis singles is the only sport I can watch for more than five minutes. Call me a commie faggot, but I don't care for team sports at all.  Basketball
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: TENNIS   Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:25 am

I love tennis. The Ladies Aussie Open final was a terrific match today.
Looking forward to Federer winning Slam No. 20 tomorrow. cheers
(Disagree about McEnroe, though. Both of em are my
favorite commentators along with Cliff Drysdale.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zeno Marx

PostSubject: Re: TENNIS   Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:36 am

Hermit wrote:
I love tennis. The Ladies Aussie Open final was a terrific match today.
Halep is a tough bugger. Wish she could have been healthy for the match. It helped with the drama, but it also created a clusterfuck. I appreciated her heart. No doubt. I wish it could have been more "pure" of a competition though. Her physical health and battling. Wozniacki trying to navigate it. It was good TV, but I wish it could have been different. Not necessarily with different results, but you know.

ps- in my original post, I used patriotism when it would have been more appropriate to have used nationalism
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zeno Marx

PostSubject: Re: TENNIS   Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:56 pm

The 2nd, 3rd, and 4th sets of the men's final were fine indeed. The first set was a gimme to Federer, and the final set was anticlimactic. Appreciated that it went five sets but was also less than four hours. That can't happen with most pairings. It's either one or both who fart around in-between every point. Nadal is the worst. Murray is like a child and constantly needs to squawk, or to be coddled, by his box. It's a weakness that I do not respect in either men or women. Like they talked about during the broadcast, one of the greatest aspects of Federer is his cognitive ability to recognize, and then to alter, his game. He does this on his own, on the court, by himself. Sure, he has a bigger set of tools than most, but like a chess player, he's mindful of what is happening in himself, in his opponent, in the energy of the room, etc. He's playing many hands at all time. He's brilliant like that.

Cilic was hitting him off the court. Pure power. The thing about that is, that when you have to hit that hard to win, you usually cannot maintain that for an entire match, which is what we watched in this match. The moment your timing is off just a smidge, that tactic is finished. You're back to your regular game, and Cilic's regular game cannot match Federer.

I was in utter, complete amazement of Federer's half-volley ability. He was immortal in that regard in the third set. Not human. It's part of how he plays, and NOT part of how most everyone else in the history of tennis plays (because it is a f*cking hard thing to do for even professionals), but that aside, he is the greatest half-volleyer in the history of tennis as far as I'm concerned. Nobody else can consistently control, and with precision and/or returned power, a half-volley that was cracked at them at 100+mph...and off both sides. And...AND...because his hands are so good, he can play another step inside the court, making a lot of these half-volleys happen behind him by a bit. He's actually half-volleying behind himself and reaching back a tad. You can't teach that. That third set was liking watching the finest ballet. Art. Period.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

TENNIS
Page 1 of 1