HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

McClelland Going Out of Business

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
DoverPipes

Registration date : 2009-05-24

PostSubject: Re: McClelland Going Out of Business   Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:47 pm

Quoted from Tad Gage on Facebook:

"Btw, since this is the pipe site of consequence....I just had a long talk with my buddy of 30 years, Mike McNiel. They are tired. They have had a great run. There will be no more McClelland tobacco. They have exhausted their stock, for the most part, and (good for them), they are out of tins, labels, and most of their tobacco. So they are not stuck holding the bag on anything. Whatever is out there is what it is. I don't think Mike or Mary will contradict me. Whatever you find out there will be the last. Now, I have to figure out what to talk with Mike and Mary about besides tobacco, because they are dear friends. Maybe fishing?"

I guess that puts the nail in the coffin, eh? Mad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: McClelland Going Out of Business   Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:04 am

Thank you kindly for the info.

What a crying shame. I prefer their Virginia pipe tobaccos over nearly everything on the market. Thankful that I had several years to pad my cellar with some of their fine blends.

I hope they have a fantastic retirement.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
daveinlax

Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: McClelland Going Out of Business   Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:57 am

DoverPipes wrote:
Quoted from Tad Gage on Facebook:
I've heard the rumor pretty much word for word since early to mid December and I stocked up then but until but I never said never until I heard it from my long time pipe buddy Tad Gage today. tad was the 3 Oaks Blender. Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ZeroContent

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: McClelland Going Out of Business   Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:16 am

See if they'll release their blend details and trade secrets for those of us that want to recreate what we can.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.teantobacco.com
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: McClelland Going Out of Business   Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:20 am

Yup, a well earned retirement ahead. Best wishes to them, and thanks for the wonderful works! cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Foxfire

Registration date : 2011-01-29

PostSubject: Re: McClelland Going Out of Business   Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:22 am

This is very distressing news. One of the only aromatic tobaccos I like is McC's Three Cherries. Like a dope, I usually only order about 4oz at a time. I don't smoke it daily, but just as an occasional change/treat.

It is out of stock everywhere. I've been trying other cherry blends, but they are all terrible (no offense to any big cherry blend fans out there).

Anyone have a recommendation for me to try until it (hopefully) comes back? I am bummed, to say the least.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: McClelland Going Out of Business   Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:26 am

These folks (out west tobacco) still has some stock for good prices. Also some tinned.

http://www.outwesttobacco.com/Bulk_McClelland.htm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: McClelland Going Out of Business   Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:26 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
These folks (out west tobacco) still has some stock for good prices. Also some tinned.

Danke. Ordered 10 cans for reasons obvious and as tribute to a grand marque. I will add it to the McC already in my cache. Really sad about this. I discovered McClelland on my own, so to speak, four decades ago. No forums, no internet, no buddy recommendations. Subconsciously believed they were making their blends just for me, and that I was the only one who bought them. Not too hard to believe, as the dust covering the tins in the obscure little tobacconists I used to visit in my travels at the time would attest. So I've gone from solipsistic fantasy to the jealousy of learning others smoked it to its demise at the hands of, in large part, a dictatorship. I expect to recover, but not soon.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Foxfire

Registration date : 2011-01-29

PostSubject: Re: McClelland Going Out of Business   Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:54 pm

I just got a pound of Three Cherries from this place: Payless Cigars and Pipes. I would've ordered more, but tomorrow is payday, and I couldn't risk it being sold out. I doubt it will be, but still...

I've never ordered from them before, but desperate times call for desperate measures. Also, if you start an account with them today, they throw in a free tin.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: McClelland Going Out of Business   Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:25 pm

Best wishes to Mike and Mary Very Happy  Very Happy And thanks for many years of fine 'baccy products!!  Checked my McClelland inventory. For the tender age of 71 & 1/2, at my smoking rate I'm well stocked!! Razz Razz Razz cheers FTRPLT

Last edited by ftrplt on Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: McClelland Going Out of Business   Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:44 pm

Blackhorse wrote:

Sadly, thy don't list ANY McC 'baccy, either tinned or bulk on the site anymore ! I just checked and nadda !! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: McClelland Going Out of Business   Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:59 pm

Just checked with Mike at SP and they have not been told officially from McC that they are going out of business but they have just one more shipment coming and have not been told what is in it so what's listed on site as in stock is what they have to sell. Sad day for sure, but it seems strange that there has been no word officially from the McNeals about this. Doesn't sound like the way they have done business. mmmm Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fight'n Hampsters

Registration date : 2011-07-28

PostSubject: Re: McClelland Going Out of Business   Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:02 pm

monbla256 wrote:
Just checked with Mike at SP and they have not been told officially from McC that they are going out of business but they have just one more shipment coming and have not been told what is in it so what's listed on site as in stock is what they have to sell. Sad day for sure, but it seems strange that there has been no word officially from the McNeals about this. Doesn't sound like the way they have done business. mmmm Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Checked SP. Man, hardly anything in stock.

It seems like the only evidence in favor of them NOT closing shop is that they have not officially said so.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Timbo

Registration date : 2015-01-18

PostSubject: Re: McClelland Going Out of Business   Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:12 pm

What an embuggerance, a good 80% of my cellar is McClelland, the McNiel's will be sadly missed however I wish them all the best and hope they thoroughly enjoy their retirement.

Regards

Tim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: McClelland Going Out of Business   Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:57 pm

Here's to someone offering them a respectable amount for their recipes. It could never be the same because of their craft and know-how, but it would at least be something.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: McClelland Going Out of Business   Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:33 pm

I can't help thinking that doom and gloom/the sky is falling/worst case scenarios/conspiracy theories are being bandied about here and on other boards. And until the McNeils make things plain the rest of us can only get our collective panties in a bunch, with the inevitable panic buying as a result.

It's happened before and will happen again.  

<fiddles while Rome burns>  Wink

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
GrampaGrossbart

Registration date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: McClelland Going Out of Business   Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:04 pm

Hard to believe we've reached the end of an era, but the writing sure looks to be on the wall. So many wonderful blends, some I loved from the first bowl and others I came around to later. So many I never even got to try, given their broad range and the assumption that any company of their caliber would be around for years to come, so why rush? Alas for rosebuds left ungathered...but then tis better to have puffed and lost then never puffed at all, eh briar fam?

Many, many thanks to Mary and Mike for their decades of devotion to our hobby--McClelland was an institution, and as long as there are pipe smokers I believe that name will continue to be a legend. And a living and well-loved one at that, as many of our cellars can testify!

Three cheers for the McNiels, and may they make the most of their retirement.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Navyflake

Registration date : 2017-06-01

PostSubject: Re: McClelland Going Out of Business   Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:29 pm

I'm bummed. Navy Cavendish was and is one of my all time favorites. I'm down to my last ounce now. I did get a tin of Dark Star for Christmas along with Tudor Castle to add to my tin of Beacon Extra. But, that's all I have left of that label.

Still also have a little bit of regular Beacon left.

Sad times ....
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Navyflake
huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: McClelland Going Out of Business   Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:17 am

Until I hear it from the McNeil's I will continue to hold out hope that it's not over. I regret buying Dunhill blends thinking that I had time to buy McC blends after Dunhill was gone. 150g of Blackwoods Flake isn't even enough for a special occasion smoke. Such is life though.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: McClelland Going Out of Business   Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:12 pm

I do not blame anyone for retiring. Do it now. While you still can. Getting old sucks. Some people age gracefully. But tomorrow is always a great unknown.

Fishing has got to be way more fun than deadlines and contracts to fill. Enjoy it! sunny

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fight'n Hampsters

PostSubject: Re: McClelland Going Out of Business   Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:05 pm

GrampaGrossbart wrote:
tis better to have puffed and lost then never puffed at all, eh briar fam?

Amen!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: McClelland Going Out of Business   Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:14 pm

huffelpuff wrote:
Until I hear it from the McNeil's I will continue to hold out hope that it's not over. I regret buying Dunhill blends thinking that I had time to buy McC blends after Dunhill was gone. 150g of Blackwoods Flake isn't even enough for a special occasion smoke. Such is life though.

Jim

Jim,

I won't post a link to another forum but if you listen to the lastest Pipes Magazine Radio Show podcast which was published last night, the host Brian Levine shares the official statement from the Mike and Mary McNeil announcing the closing of McClelland. Sad

Rick Newcombe is this week's guest and it's worth a listen, although sadly he's sharing stories about the passing of the great Lars Ivarsson.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fight'n Hampsters

PostSubject: Re: McClelland Going Out of Business   Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:00 pm

DrumsAndBeer wrote:
huffelpuff wrote:

Jim

Jim,

I won't post a link to another forum but if you listen to the lastest Pipes Magazine Radio Show podcast which was published last night, the host Brian Levine shares the official statement from the Mike and Mary McNeil announcing the closing of McClelland.   Sad

Rick Newcombe is this week's guest and it's worth a listen, although sadly he's sharing stories about the passing of the great Lars Ivarsson.

Sad

Hopefully they will put something on the McC website to end all doubt
Back to top Go down
View user profile
huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: McClelland Going Out of Business   Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:13 pm

Jim,

I won't post a link to another forum but if you listen to the lastest Pipes Magazine Radio Show podcast which was published last night, the host Brian Levine shares the official statement from the Mike and Mary McNeil announcing the closing of McClelland. Sad

Well I guess the fat lady has sung! Truely a sad day !
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: McClelland Going Out of Business   Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:00 pm

Well, since the two main brands of 'baccy that I smoke are closing, Dunhill & McClellands, I guess I'll finish up what I have left , then end my 50 plus years of pipe smoking. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile

McClelland Going Out of Business
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next