HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 
 

 McClelland Going Out of Business

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
Brewdude
Moderator
avatar

Age : 65
Location : Near the Emerald city
Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: McClelland Going Out of Business   Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:42 pm

BriarFox wrote:
Is it possible they can sell their blends to another manufacturer and carry them on?  Like Frog Morton for example, the Tin would be same, blend, etc.  it would just say C&D instead of McClelland?

The issue as I understand it, is that McC cannot source the same kind of leaf they have been using due to growers not growing it. So any substitute will make a significantly different blend.

And as McC are known for this consistency it would be a different tasting animal. Maybe subtle, maybe significant.


Cheers,

RR

_________________
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin


x 2
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Timbo

avatar

Age : 42
Location : Australia
Registration date : 2015-01-18

PostSubject: Re: McClelland Going Out of Business   Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:54 pm

It is indeed something special. I am savouring these bowls slowly, have now jarred it up and will have the occasional bowl, hopefully it will last me a few years yet. If any brothers or sisters end up in Sydney in the next while, get in touch and we'll have a pipeful together.

Cheers

Tim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ftrplt

avatar

Age : 71
Location : Split between Raleigh, NC and OKC, OK
Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: McClelland Going Out of Business   Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:41 pm

Wonder what's goin' to happen to the McCranie's blends?? cheers FTRPLT

Never mind!! Just answered my own question! The Red Flake and Red Ribbon are OOS!!! I do wonder if the boys will find someone else to blend these two!?!? cheers FTRPLT


Last edited by ftrplt on Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

avatar

Age : 72
Location : DFW Metroplex, Texas
Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: McClelland Going Out of Business   Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:44 pm

ftrplt wrote:
Wonder what's goin' to happen to the McCrainie's blends?? cheers FTRPLT

Unless they find the same source of leaf McC was using and decide to get the tinning eqpt. that McC used, as well as the recipes of the blends they made for them will go away I'm sure !!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

avatar

Age : 54
Location : Mark Twain National Forest, MO
Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: McClelland Going Out of Business   Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:56 pm

Yah well, say goodbye to mcCranies, Butera, Nording, Peretti's Scottish Flake, etc.... No
Back to top Go down
View user profile
wij

avatar

Age : 51
Location : Carolinas - Work in one live in the other.
Registration date : 2018-01-22

PostSubject: Re: McClelland Going Out of Business   Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:12 pm

ftrplt wrote:
Wonder what's goin' to happen to the McCranie's blends?? cheers FTRPLT

Never mind!! Just answered my own question! The Red Flake and Red Ribbon are OOS!!! I do wonder if the boys will find someone else to blend these two!?!? cheers FTRPLT

I was just in McCranie's a week ago to pickup any McClellands they might have left and buy some more "First Light" which is 5100 Red Cake. They were completely sold out and that included all their store blends that were made by McClellands. They bought the last 60lbs of 5100 and when it got around they had it people were buying 5lbs at a time. Needless to say I walked out empty handed. :-(

Well not quite empty handed since they did have some tins of Red Ribbon and Red Flake for the store and not the internet.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LFOD



Registration date : 2018-03-07

PostSubject: Re: McClelland Going Out of Business   Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:07 am

Ozark Wizard wrote:
Yah well, say goodbye to mcCranies, Butera, Nording, Peretti's Scottish Flake, etc.... No

Yep, looks like Peretti's London Flake and Oxford Flake were sourced from McClelland's as well and are gone for good.

At least Cambridge Flake and No. 8 Slice appear to be safe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thomas Tkach

avatar

Age : 31
Location : North Dakota
Registration date : 2010-11-24

PostSubject: Re: McClelland Going Out of Business   Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:08 pm

I've been on a pipesmoking hiatus for a few years, and I come back and THIS is what I see?! I was just getting into McC VAs and some of their other blends before I took off. This makes me feel sad and old. I remember people talking about Dunhill when I first started and it was unavailable. Now I'll be that guy talking about the glories of 2035 and 5100 that will never be matched again. ugh...
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.youtube.com/user/tkachta1
Ozark Wizard

avatar

Age : 54
Location : Mark Twain National Forest, MO
Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: McClelland Going Out of Business   Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:14 pm

Thomas Tkach wrote:
I've been on a pipesmoking hiatus for a few years, and I come back and THIS is what I see?! I was just getting into McC VAs and some of their other blends before I took off. This makes me feel sad and old. I remember people talking about Dunhill when I first started and it was unavailable. Now I'll be that guy talking about the glories of 2035 and 5100 that will never be matched again. ugh...

Sorry Thomas. Welcome back though!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fight'n Hampsters

avatar

Age : 40
Location : Kentucky
Registration date : 2011-07-28

PostSubject: Re: McClelland Going Out of Business   Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:38 pm

Brewdude wrote:
BriarFox wrote:
Is it possible they can sell their blends to another manufacturer and carry them on?  Like Frog Morton for example, the Tin would be same, blend, etc.  it would just say C&D instead of McClelland?

The issue as I understand it, is that McC cannot source the same kind of leaf they have been using due to growers not growing it. So any substitute  will make a significantly different blend.

And as McC are known for this consistency it would be a different tasting animal. Maybe subtle, maybe significant.


Cheers,

RR

Also one has to keep in mind the new FDA regs coming into effect soon. Any blender who would buy the recipes would more than likely have to file them as new blends. They couldn't be call McClellands, I would imagine, so they would be considered new products and each and everyone would have to be passed by the really expensive testing process.

All that to say, unless some regs are repealed quickly, they are gone for goos.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zeno Marx

avatar

Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: McClelland Going Out of Business   Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:43 pm

I'm sorry I stumbled upon the gross thing happening on ebay. Common sense would have told me this was the situation, but I hadn't seen it for myself. I hadn't thought to look...already. So, I guess it is safe to say that genuine lovers of McClelland product weren't the ones who absorbed all the remaining stock. Yeah...gross. Sad. Unfortunate. All those things more importantly than it just being predictable.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Navyflake

avatar

Age : 52
Location : Michigan
Registration date : 2017-06-01

PostSubject: Re: McClelland Going Out of Business   Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:52 pm

Zeno Marx wrote:
I'm sorry I stumbled upon the gross thing happening on ebay.  Common sense would have told me this was the situation, but I hadn't seen it for myself.  I hadn't thought to look...already.  So, I guess it is safe to say that genuine lovers of McClelland product weren't the ones who absorbed all the remaining stock. Yeah...gross.  Sad.  Unfortunate.  All those things more importantly than it just being predictable.

I have 3 unopened tins. I may not open them for the next 20 years now so as to be able to enjoy them in my twilight years. I feel fortunate to have them now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Navyflake
DrumsAndBeer

avatar

Age : 46
Location : Northern, CA
Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: McClelland Going Out of Business   Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:46 pm

I feel fortunate to have what I have and I refuse to participate in the purse snatching of the 2nd hand market. Same goes for all th other hard to find blends..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude
Moderator
avatar

Age : 65
Location : Near the Emerald city
Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: McClelland Going Out of Business   Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:47 pm

DrumsAndBeer wrote:
I feel fortunate to have what I have and I refuse to participate in the purse snatching of the 2nd hand market. Same goes for all th other hard to find blends..

And this is spot on. Well said Chris. I have to believe all the dedicated and true pipe enthusiasts are arm and arm on this. I know I am!

cheers

There will always be opportunists and those looking to make a quick buck out of those gullible to take the bait. Sad, really. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!


Cheers!

RR

_________________
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin


x 2
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Ozark Wizard

avatar

Age : 54
Location : Mark Twain National Forest, MO
Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: McClelland Going Out of Business   Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:56 pm

Brewdude wrote:
DrumsAndBeer wrote:
I feel fortunate to have what I have and I refuse to participate in the purse snatching of the 2nd hand market. Same goes for all th other hard to find blends..

And this is spot on. Well said Chris. I have to believe all the dedicated and true pipe enthusiasts are arm and arm on this. I know I am!

cheers

There will always be opportunists and those looking to make a quick buck out of those gullible to take the bait. Sad, really. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!


Cheers!

RR

Indeed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pepesdad1

avatar

Age : 74
Location : Tallahassee, Florida
Registration date : 2013-03-03

PostSubject: McClelland Going Out of Business   Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:06 pm

This is beyond sad...truly some great tobacco that they produced. Glad to have cellared up with 25 tins of their different Va's. Holding my Christmas Cheer and Tudor Castle for at least another 5 years before thinking about popping a tin. Bulked up with 5100 which is really great in the morning with a cup of good coffee.
Walt
Back to top Go down
View user profile
idbowman

avatar

Age : 36
Location : Painesville, OH
Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: McClelland Going Out of Business   Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:51 pm

I think the exception to the second-hand market rule is PipeStud. He's been in the second-hand tobacco business long enough to know that price-gauging is all short-term gain with no long-term upside (and a damn fine guy if you ever get to meet him).

As an example, I just sold some of my FMOTT through his consignment shop - he charged the buyer $45 for a 100gr tin with 14 years of age. Tins of the same age were being sold for $40 at the NASPC show this past summer (when McC was still very much around), and the same tin has a "buy it now" price of $135 on fleabay.


So I suppose I'm not as soured on the second-hand market as some of y'all. To me, it's a matter of finding a member of the community (not just a profit hawk) to do business with.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GCook

avatar

Age : 63
Location : Sunset coast of Michigan
Registration date : 2011-01-03

PostSubject: Re: McClelland Going Out of Business   Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:07 am

4 Noggins has McClelland's in stock. Screw eBay.
https://www.4noggins.com/capstanmediumnavycut50g-1-1-1-1-1.aspx

If you wonder why they no longer stock Esoterica, browse their consignments.

But seriously, I wish I could find the trade route that redirects anything Germain directly to eBay. I understand supply/demand, but at least McClelland was available to everybody (except Washington state) before closure.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

avatar

Age : 54
Location : Mark Twain National Forest, MO
Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: McClelland Going Out of Business   Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:14 am

affraid

Holy Spirit! I'm smoking some of the most expensive tobacco on the planet!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fight'n Hampsters

avatar

Age : 40
Location : Kentucky
Registration date : 2011-07-28

PostSubject: Re: McClelland Going Out of Business   Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:16 pm

Those prices are ridiculous!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
 
McClelland Going Out of Business
Back to top 
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Similar topics
-
» Willing to donate: Cambridge
» Tourism initiatives of Kerala Government
» Pat Brown update
» HSBC accused of laundering billions!
» Businesses using charities to avoid tax.

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: The Tobacco Jar-
Jump to: