HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

So what age exactly is a Senior Citizen?

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Senior Citizen minimum age
60 years
9%
 9% [ 2 ]
62 years
22%
 22% [ 5 ]
65 years
43%
 43% [ 10 ]
70 years
13%
 13% [ 3 ]
75 years
13%
 13% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 23

AuthorMessage
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: So what age exactly is a Senior Citizen?   Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:51 pm

Senior Citizen. We hear this term or categorization regularly. But what actually constitutes a citizen who is now considered "Senior"?

Age? Yes, but what are the "official designations" of this, even if there is such a thing. And where is it designated, and by what ruling entity??

Seems to me to be a somewhat ambiguous concept, open to interpretation (always a recipe for much dissent and arguments.) And going further along this thought line, what does that represent as far as the now "classified and branded Senior Citizen" is concerned?

What does one expect from them, other than random musings on what it was like in "the old days" which have no relation to so-called modern society? (Don't worry kids, Grandpa is just going through this time of his life. He doesn't mean any harm. He's just getting forgetful, that's all).

OK so that was an unexpected and sudden outburst. Yet the question remains thus-

At what age is one considered a "Senior Citizen"?

I will admit that when I reached 60 I qualified for the "Senior Discount" at my local barber. No way did I consider myself a Senior Citizen at that point (but took the discount just the same - so sue me....lol).

Now at 65 I still don't consider myself a "Senior". Guess I always thought it was for "old folks". But at what age does that begin?

Vote the poll and state your opinion.

Cheers,

RR

Last edited by Brewdude on Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: So what age exactly is a Senior Citizen?   Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:05 pm

Since AARP lets you join at 50, I guess that's the age where "senior citizen" begins !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: So what age exactly is a Senior Citizen?   Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:20 pm

Always slightly older than you actually are I think....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: So what age exactly is a Senior Citizen?   Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:26 pm

Ozark Wizard wrote:
Always slightly older than you actually are I think....

That's it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: So what age exactly is a Senior Citizen?   Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:25 pm

Ummm, how come the checklist ends at 75?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: So what age exactly is a Senior Citizen?   Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:01 am

KevinM wrote:

Doesn't have to. 76? 80?

Question

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: So what age exactly is a Senior Citizen?   Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:12 am

When you are over 50, it's either A) Wiz's answer (someone older than you) or B) when you feel that way (some days I do, most days I don't -- I imagine the proportions will change in time!).

Under fifty, anyone more than 20 years older than you! Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: So what age exactly is a Senior Citizen?   Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:17 am

Don’t worry BD...you’re a Senior. Laughing

Back to top Go down
View user profile
jefe1037

Registration date : 2012-02-07

PostSubject: Re: So what age exactly is a Senior Citizen?   Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:20 am

When you fall down, and people gasp instead of laugh.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
swhipple

Registration date : 2013-05-02

PostSubject: Re: So what age exactly is a Senior Citizen?   Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:27 am

I voted for 65 but having said that I'm not sure when you start feeling like you are "Senior". When I was a kid I remember feeling that my parents and grandparents really had the adult thing figured out, now I'm 49 and I still wondering when I'm going to get it all figured out? scratch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
daveinlax

Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: So what age exactly is a Senior Citizen?   Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:42 am

I've been in construction my whole life and I feel very old in my mid 50's. Nobody gives a second thought giving me the senior discount at the movies, hotels and stores. I just hope they don't up the medicare age on me. Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM

PostSubject: Re: So what age exactly is a Senior Citizen?   Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:43 am

Brewdude wrote:
KevinM wrote:

Doesn't have to. 76? 80?

Question

Cheers,

RR

Brew — 75 was supposed to be a little joke. My missus tells me my jokes are often so “little” no one gets them😛 Hint: note the age in my post’s profile 😅
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: So what age exactly is a Senior Citizen?   Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:52 am

You're as young as the woman you feel, ahem.

Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://stickballard.wixsite.com/blog
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: So what age exactly is a Senior Citizen?   Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:54 am

swhipple wrote:
I voted for 65 but having said that I'm not sure when you start feeling like you are "Senior". When I was a kid I remember feeling that my parents and grandparents really had the adult thing figured out, now I'm 49 and I still wondering when I'm going to get it all figured out? scratch

Yup, 65 is the new 60.  I blame it on better healthcare and the government upping retirement age.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://stickballard.wixsite.com/blog
BriarBeagle

Registration date : 2016-11-08

PostSubject: Re: So what age exactly is a Senior Citizen?   Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:56 am

jefe1037 wrote:
When you fall down, and people gasp instead of laugh.

Love this. This gets my vote. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: So what age exactly is a Senior Citizen?   Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:03 pm

Standard government answer..."it depends!!" I checked 62, the age at which one can collect SS (in the States!). Could opt for 65, age for Medicare. AARP lets you in at 50, they just want the dues money!! Depending on the venue/business, "Senior" discounts usually start in the early 60's; some in the late 50's. I belong to a newly built "Senior Healthy Living Center," entry age = 50!!!! I agree with many of you that it all depends on how you feel and the state of your health. I'm 71 1/2, don't feel it! I may look it, but don't feel it (most of the time!!). Work out 4-5 times a week, walk whenever and wherever feasible. Now I guess the next topic should be "Define Middle Age!!" That'll get the youngsters stirred up!! Razz Razz cheers FTRPLT

Last edited by ftrplt on Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: So what age exactly is a Senior Citizen?   Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:34 pm

Since our entire lives are founded around capitalism and corporatism, I have to go with the Early Bird Special rule. Isn't that always 65? I believe so. I'm going with that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Corncobcon

Registration date : 2017-10-15

PostSubject: Re: So what age exactly is a Senior Citizen?   Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:38 pm

Stick wrote:
You're as young as the woman you feel, ahem.

Wink

I like your answer, Stick! Rolling Eyes  Laughing

I don't know what age a senior really is.   The other day while shopping at Walmart, I helped a man get something off the shelf.  He seemed "older" than I am, but what sealed the deal was when he said to me, "thank you young man!" At that time, I guess I was a young man!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: So what age exactly is a Senior Citizen?   Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:44 pm

KevinM wrote:
Brewdude wrote:
KevinM wrote:

Doesn't have to. 76? 80?

Question

Cheers,

RR

Brew — 75 was supposed to be a little joke. My missus tells me my jokes are often so “little” no one gets them😛  Hint: note the age in my post’s profile 😅

Yes, I saw that but it was too late to change the poll. I would have put in 80 as the upper number but there were a limited amount of poll choices. And I figured 60 was the right starting age, with 62 being the age at which one can start receiving SS. And then 65, 70 and finally 75. Ran out of options at that point.

As a sidebar, there's an organization here in W. Washington known as SHAG (no - not the Brit abbreviation for a swift sexual encounter) which stands for Senior Housing Assistance Group. They seem to be running many TV commercials inviting Seniors to consider living in one of their many Condo/Apartment complexes. Apparently the minimum age is 60, or 55 with a disability.

The commercials all have a bunch of happy looking Seniors engaging in healthy activities such as working out in their "activity centres", doing gardening chores on the rooftops of the complexes, attending a group BBQ and rocking out to some music (somewhat off-putting afaic as it's so put-on), going out on a shopping expedition via a SHAG small bus, etc.

I haven't looked into the costs but apparently it's variable depending on one's requirements (ya so is everything, ya know!)

This all makes me want to retch, frankly. And to be fair, this probably appeals to some segment of Seniors and retirees who wish to live in close proximity of those of a similar age and disposition. Bully for them, say I.

For my part, this seems one short step away from an assisted living centre. And frankly I'm many years from that, and hope it never gets there as well. At least I'll be working towards that going forward.

Yes I do recognize some need the constant care that only one of these facilities can offer. Perhaps some of us here already have relatives and loved ones in this sort of institution. I do as well, actually.

So wtf am I saying? (Sometimes it's hard to tell when I get out on one of these tangents).

I guess only that I'm not yet ready for a "retirement community", and that whatever choices I make going forward will be dictated by that. And while my retirement is imminent I'll choose wisely. Or at least I like to believe.

bom

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
bosun1

Registration date : 2012-10-23

PostSubject: Re: So what age exactly is a Senior Citizen?   Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:05 pm

Too old to stroll,
Too pooped to pop.
You're a Senior if you remember the rest of the lines of the above song (G)..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: So what age exactly is a Senior Citizen?   Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:13 pm

I must say though, an organized SHAG for seniors doesn't sound like a bad idea, Rande. That's not to say that the timing in one's life would be set at a certain age, just that it's not necessarily a thing to dodge indefinitely. From what I can tell about you, there's plenty of time to worry about other adventures ahead of you before signing on the dotted line for a good SHAG....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM

PostSubject: Re: So what age exactly is a Senior Citizen?   Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:39 pm

Brewdude — I know what you mean. My wife and I still live in our single family suburban home on a one-acre lot. Doctors dentists, town hall and restaurants are all right down the hill. Our neighbors are mostly okay. The closest restaurant, one mile away, has changed formats several times, but includes on its computer an offering of Kevin’s Lemon Pepper Cod, because years ago I complained they were too heavily slanted toward pasta dishes for an old dude counting carbs. So they kindly kept the meal on the computer for me at a very good price, even though it doesn’t show up on the menu. I’m sure I wouldn’t get that consideration elsewhere. Drive another half mile and there’s a restaurant where the owner often joins our table and generously comps desserts. I asked my brother, who lives in a retirement community, If pretty girls out walking their dogs ever wave to him and say hello. “No,” he replied. Plus three or four holes of golf on an “executive course” (I.e short and easy) once a month is plenty for me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: So what age exactly is a Senior Citizen?   Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:51 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
Don’t worry BD...you’re a Senior.  Laughing

Ya, you're probably right.

A few weeks ago I was in the local Ace Hardware and couldn't find what I was looking for, so tried to find an employee to ask.

Eventually I found some youngster who looked to be about 16 yrs old (about the age of a grandchild, if I had one) with an Ace shirt on, and without even thinking I blurted out "Say there young fella, can you tell me where to find such-and-such"?

Never in my life have I ever hailed anyone like that, but it rolled of my tongue like water off a duck's back........

Guess that prolly seals my fate, or at least the beginning of the slippery slope to geezerdom!  Rolling Eyes

Oh, and the youngster was helpful in an "I'm too busy to be bothered" sort of way. Guess he thought he was being kind to some old git. Oh, and he never smiled either, yet I found the item all the same............

bom

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: So what age exactly is a Senior Citizen?   Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:44 pm

Ozark Wizard wrote:
I must say though, an organized SHAG for seniors doesn't sound like a bad idea, Rande. That's not to say that the timing in one's life would be set at a certain age, just that it's not necessarily a thing to dodge indefinitely. From what I can tell about you, there's plenty of time to worry about other adventures ahead of you before signing on the dotted line for a good SHAG....

Yes, of course. For those which are at that point of life that this concept appeals for whatever reasons I say go for it. It's just not for me now, or attractive going forward. I'm an independent SOB, ya know?

Even if I was interested in this concept (and I'm patently not), it doesn't seem to exist in AZ where I'll be heading. Or at least in that abbreviation, as it seems to be a WA state thing.

Now, OTOH - what does appeal to me is an age restricted community. Say 60 yrs minimum, gated community, composed of smallish single family units. No central planning of events or activities. Just relatively the same age group who retain enough of their independence to command control over their lives in a way that looks different from the SHAG concept. That, I could get comfortable with.

One thing I want to conspicuously avoid is the dreaded HOA with restrictive rules and regs. So that right there effectively rules out Condos, who would most certainly ban all smoking on premise. Plus, very probably loud music (I still like to crank up the stereo and rock out on guitar when the mood strikes).

Of course, a gated community with age restrictions could also have a HOA with restrictive covenants. Those I'll have to evaluate on a case-by-case basis and determine if they're compatible.

In any event, my relocation choice will be carefully considered based on all my needs. Not just the ones I listed.

TMI......

silent

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: So what age exactly is a Senior Citizen?   Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:59 pm

You know, Codgersville is the capitol of Geezerdom. They have a couple of nice brewpubs in the Old Quarter....
Back to top Go down
View user profile

So what age exactly is a Senior Citizen?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next