HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 
 

 Tobacco ID—SG Kendal Plug or Something Else?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
GrampaGrossbart

avatar

Age : 105
Location : The Mountains
Registration date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Tobacco ID—SG Kendal Plug or Something Else?   Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:12 pm

Today’s mystery comes courtesy of SP or P&C, can’t remember which: ordered an ounce of Kendal Plug to try and it’s not at all what I expected, much lighter in appearance and taste..but then I’ve never had it before! For those of you who’ve had Kendal Plug before, is this what yours looked like? And if not, any idea what it might be? Thanks!


Back to top Go down
View user profile
Davy Jones

avatar

Registration date : 2016-04-25

PostSubject: Re: Tobacco ID—SG Kendal Plug or Something Else?   Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:52 pm

Yup, that's about right. Kendal Plug is Best Brown Flake in a plug format, so it won't be as dark looking as FVF, for example.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zeno Marx

avatar

Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Tobacco ID—SG Kendal Plug or Something Else?   Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:54 pm

That looks like a P&C bag and sticker to me, and for that, it gives you reasonable concern to ask what it is. Every order I've made with P&C since switching hands has been screwed up with wrong tobaccos. Thank goodness a lot of these places have photos of the blends for reference, but on the other hand, I've also noticed some of the photos are so out of date that they're useless. I don't know, man. I definitely appreciate ordering from other places because I'm not questioning whether I'm getting what I ordered. Yet, I do continue to order from there. I'm sort of like the Republicans and Trump like that. I know better, but my own self-interest clouds my judgment.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Davy Jones

avatar

Registration date : 2016-04-25

PostSubject: Re: Tobacco ID—SG Kendal Plug or Something Else?   Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:08 pm

Reading Zeno Marx's comment, I took a much closer look at the pic. It did look weird, format wise at first glance, but the leaf color was kind of identical. Now, looking harder...Indeed, something seems off with that "plug". I had bought the 250g format and it was one, solid brick. This looks like chunks of some C & D plug/krumble kake, not an European processed plug.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GrampaGrossbart

avatar

Age : 105
Location : The Mountains
Registration date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Tobacco ID—SG Kendal Plug or Something Else?   Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:03 pm

Davy Jones wrote:
Yup, that's about right. Kendal Plug is Best Brown Flake in a plug format, so it won't be as dark looking as FVF, for example.

Thanks for the intel, DJ! It’s definitely denser than C&D stuff, and most closely resembles Cannon Plug in terms of pressing, and with the flavor just being a straight up good Virginia taste I bet it is indeed Kendal Plug. What through me was seeing pics where it looked darker but maybe those were older...in any event it smokes good, so whatever it is I reckon I’ll work my way through it!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GrampaGrossbart

avatar

Age : 105
Location : The Mountains
Registration date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Tobacco ID—SG Kendal Plug or Something Else?   Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:05 pm

Zeno Marx wrote:
That looks like a P&C bag and sticker to me, and for that, it gives you reasonable concern to ask what it is.  Every order I've made with P&C since switching hands has been screwed up with wrong tobaccos.  Thank goodness a lot of these places have photos of the blends for reference, but on the other hand, I've also noticed some of the photos are so out of date that they're useless.  I don't know, man.  I definitely appreciate ordering from other places because I'm not questioning whether I'm getting what I ordered.  Yet, I do continue to order from there.  I'm sort of like the Republicans and Trump like that.  I know better, but my own self-interest clouds my judgment.

Yeah I’m the same way with P&C—just when I think I’m out they pull me back in! And credit where due, their customer service team has always made things right by me when they’ve screwed up an order. And this time around it seems like they sent me the right thing, or close enough!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fight'n Hampsters

avatar

Age : 40
Location : Kentucky
Registration date : 2011-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Tobacco ID—SG Kendal Plug or Something Else?   Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:27 pm

Zeno Marx wrote:
That looks like a P&C bag and sticker to me, and for that, it gives you reasonable concern to ask what it is.  Every order I've made with P&C since switching hands has been screwed up with wrong tobaccos.  Thank goodness a lot of these places have photos of the blends for reference, but on the other hand, I've also noticed some of the photos are so out of date that they're useless.  I don't know, man.  I definitely appreciate ordering from other places because I'm not questioning whether I'm getting what I ordered.  Yet, I do continue to order from there.  I'm sort of like the Republicans and Trump like that.  I know better, but my own self-interest clouds my judgment.

Laughing Laughing

Me too!  I say never again and then the send out an email with an insane deal and I take it.  I have some Pease tins still on back order from the beginning of December.  Love Russ and what he does there but the company has slipped form what it use to be.  Hope they can right the ship, I'm pulling for them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Davy Jones

avatar

Registration date : 2016-04-25

PostSubject: Re: Tobacco ID—SG Kendal Plug or Something Else?   Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:26 pm

GrampaGrossbart wrote:
Davy Jones wrote:
Yup, that's about right. Kendal Plug is Best Brown Flake in a plug format, so it won't be as dark looking as FVF, for example.

Thanks for the intel, DJ! It’s definitely denser than C&D stuff, and most closely resembles Cannon Plug in terms of pressing, and with the flavor just being a straight up good Virginia taste I bet it is indeed Kendal Plug. What through me was seeing pics where it looked darker but maybe those were older...in any event it smokes good, so whatever it is I reckon I’ll work my way through it!

Ah ok, good then. I kind of hesitated a bit later, though, looking closer at the pic. I guess you got some weird looking chunk. As long as it's what you ordered, doesn't matter if it looks weird, right? Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zeno Marx

avatar

Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Tobacco ID—SG Kendal Plug or Something Else?   Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:02 pm

Zeno Marx wrote:
Thank goodness a lot of these places have photos of the blends for reference...
I should have also stated...and given due credit...to all the users who are willing to chime in with their knowledge and expertise. Between the stock photos found on the sites and the wealth of collective experience, it's relatively easy to determine whether X is X or Y is Y. Thanks to everyone who helps us brickheaded consumers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dolemiike

avatar

Age : 41
Location : orange county
Registration date : 2017-12-25

PostSubject: Re: Tobacco ID—SG Kendal Plug or Something Else?   Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:03 pm

Here's a pic of my Kendall plug. It was a full sealed 250g block from smoking pipes.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude
Moderator
avatar

Age : 65
Location : Arid-zona
Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Tobacco ID—SG Kendal Plug or Something Else?   Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:32 pm

So, this is supposedly SG BBF in a plug. Is that what those who have had it are experiencing? I do love BBF.


Cheers,

RR

_________________
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin


Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.randereed.com
dolemiike

avatar

Age : 41
Location : orange county
Registration date : 2017-12-25

PostSubject: Re: Tobacco ID—SG Kendal Plug or Something Else?   Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:40 pm

I like BBF a lot, but like Kendall plug a lot more. It's a little tangier, with as little fermented sweetness.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
 
Tobacco ID—SG Kendal Plug or Something Else?
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» [plug.dj] Oasis Radio Information
» PSA: Plug.dj is dead

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: The Tobacco Jar-
Jump to: