HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Seven Day Set

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Seven Day Set   Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:01 pm

So, I actually won these on the 'Bay for ten bucks and 6 for shipping. It was a while ago, but for a time lost my heart for working on pipes. They all need a little work, maybe a couple in line for new stems, loose brass ferrels, loose necks, imbedded filters, general neglect. But no burnouts or serious ghosting. I figured I won the gamble...

I've got one cleaned up and smoking, a straight one that had minimum chatter on the bit. The next one is a bent that looks like it was a chew toy. I'm now working on the new stem.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Seven Day Set   Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:15 pm

That warden looks pretty cool.

I like the fact that they are all banded. You don't see that very often on cobs
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Seven Day Set   Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:38 pm

Cobs always seem to look cool and tasty in photos. The patina just right, etc. What's with the stems? They don't look stock. Or at least not contemporary stock.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Seven Day Set   Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:46 am

Richard Burley wrote:
Cobs always seem to look cool and tasty in photos. The patina just right, etc. What's with the stems? They don't look stock. Or at least not contemporary stock.

I hear you. I'm not sure if the stems are "authentic". When I was sanding the rough down on a couple the dust looked and smelled like vulcanite. I also noticed the airway at the button is too narrow to pass a thin cleaner. Very curious....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jevverrett

Registration date : 2014-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Seven Day Set   Sat May 05, 2018 12:33 pm

Not bad for an eBay find. Personally, I find the only issue with mm cobs is the stems. Not substantial enough for a clencher in the long run. Usually the stem is shot long before the pipe. The after market stems are worth the price, Id say. Especially if they hold up transferring to new stummels.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Seven Day Set   Sat May 05, 2018 1:41 pm

Jevverrett wrote:
...Personally, I find the only issue with mm cobs is the stems. Not substantial enough for a clencher in the long run. Usually the stem is shot long before the pipe. The after market stems are worth the price, Id say. Especially if they hold up transferring to new stummels.

Replacement stems are cheap. I buy 'em by the bag, figuratively speaking. One of the appeals of cobs, being able to chew 'em up without regard to cost. Not to knock the high quality stems--I have several on favored cobs. One might want to knock down the flashing on the cheapos with fine sandpaper, but that's a minor annoyance.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jevverrett

Registration date : 2014-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Seven Day Set   Sat May 05, 2018 5:20 pm

You know, Ive never bought one? I usually just chuck em once I punch a hole in the stem. I bought a pair of the new C&D straight cobs, and I love the stems on them. I probably have a dozen or so of regular ones floating around everywhere in my life. Garage, man cave, truck, work truck etc...
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Seven Day Set
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: PAD & TAD-
Jump to: