HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

What in the Heck happened to C&D's cut?

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Fight'n Hampsters

Registration date : 2011-07-28

PostSubject: Re: What in the Heck happened to C&D's cut?   Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:16 am

monbla256 wrote:
From what I've read, Greg is out of the tobacco blending business and C&D is continuing to make and retail "his" blends which might account for some of this change. Also, there have been some changes in the tobacco industry itself with much of it focusing on the export cigarette business and with the diminishing amount of pipe smokers there is a diminishing demand for many of the varieties of leaf needed domesticallly. A sign of the changes we face in the new century ! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

I did not know this. Any sources online? I would love to read more. Sad Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GCook

Registration date : 2011-01-03

PostSubject: Re: What in the Heck happened to C&D's cut?   Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:58 am

2006 tin of Laurel Heights, for reference. †It's been open a few years; I don't care for C&D virginias. †I like the tin note, though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: What in the Heck happened to C&D's cut?   Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:27 am

I can't see the difference really. I would have to see them side by side, or in person. Probably my failing. And I am not doubting you. I experienced similar when C&D went from cutting Bayou Morning Flake with an ax or machete, to this more modern flake method. I enjoyed breaking up the big honking rough cut pieces and chunks.

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: What in the Heck happened to C&D's cut?   Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:51 am

A little bird told me that they are playing with the new toys they got from McClelland.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: What in the Heck happened to C&D's cut?   Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:57 am

Interesting to see a 2006 tin. I have never had one that old.

What I came to expect from Laurel Heights looked a lot more like this. Not my image, but the best that I could find in a Google search.

The biggest change in C&D's latest cut with LH is not so much the width of the strands, although the current cut is a fraction thinner, but in the texture of the mixture. The ribbons are completely rubbed out, fluffy and springy, and there are no thick chunks and therefore the burn rate is faster. Also this new cut has a lot of tiny bits and pieces, it's quite the stem clogger.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: What in the Heck happened to C&D's cut?   Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:13 pm

Ozark Wizard wrote:
A little bird told me that they are playing with the new toys they got from McClelland.

This may be truer than you'd think. Best price for scrap iron is about $260/ ton. Antique equipment sold to another company to be used would fetch at least a thousand per item if not significantly more. Mike sure as hell didn't take it home and stick it in his garage.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Timbo

Registration date : 2015-01-18

PostSubject: Re: What in the Heck happened to C&D's cut?   Fri May 04, 2018 8:59 pm

I have noticed the new cut too, almost a RYO shag cut with lot's of little bit's to clog my pipe stem. First saw it in a tin of Charing Cross but thought it was normal as it was my first tin of it. Opened a tin of Westminster the other day and it's gone from being chunky ribbon to RYO which has totally altered the flavour, I can't get the depth of taste that this blend used to have for me. The room note was still delicious but the smoke tasted thin. Could explain why I could not get into the Charing Cross too, I found it to be lacking in flavour too when according to all the reviews I should've loved it.

Oh well another blender off my to buy list. Don't dick your customers around if you want to keep them.

No cheers,

Tim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

PostSubject: Re: What in the Heck happened to C&D's cut?   Fri May 04, 2018 10:00 pm

Timbo wrote:
I have noticed the new cut too, almost a RYO shag cut with lot's of little bit's to clog my pipe stem. First saw it in a tin of Charing Cross but thought it was normal as it was my first tin of it. Opened a tin of Westminster the other day and it's gone from being chunky ribbon to RYO which has totally altered the flavour, I can't get the depth of taste that this blend used to have for me. The room note was still delicious but the smoke tasted thin. Could explain why I could not get into the Charing Cross too, I found it to be lacking in flavour too when according to all the reviews I should've loved it.

Oh well another blender off my to buy list. Don't dick your customers around if you want to keep them.

No cheers,

Tim

Tim, Yeah, itís a real shame what they have done with the GLP ribbon cut blends. The chunky rough cut of Westminster made for some fantastic complexities. I mean wasnít Greg Peaseís intent with Westminster to capture the spirit of the original London Mixture? I am sure that vision included the cut. I always viewed the cut of Westminster as the predecessor to the thicker, pressed and hand tumbled style of the three original Old London series blends, Chelsea Morning, Meridian and Lagonda. I did ask if those too were altered, but never got a reply. I can only assume that either they got tired of my inquiries, or they just didnít know the answer. 5)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fight'n Hampsters

Registration date : 2011-07-28

PostSubject: Re: What in the Heck happened to C&D's cut?   Sat May 05, 2018 11:43 am

I don't think they are changing the cut on all of the ribbon blends. I opened a tin of Cumberland marked as made 11-17 and it had changed to the thinner cut but thankfully the flavor was not significantly altered for me. However a tin of Robusto also marked 12-17 still had the thicker cut.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

PostSubject: Re: What in the Heck happened to C&D's cut?   Sat May 05, 2018 1:58 pm

Fight'n Hampsters wrote:
I don't think they are changing the cut on all of the ribbon blends. †I opened a tin of Cumberland marked as made 11-17 and it had changed to the thinner cut but thankfully the flavor was not significantly altered for me. †However a tin of Robusto also marked 12-17 still had the thicker cut.

Fight'n, I would be left to assume that this is due to old stock of various blends that they're gradually packaging up, as I was openly told by Laudisi that all the ribbon cut blends were changing.

Notice the altering of the descriptive text on the new Billy Budd label with "rough" changing to "natural cut."

New label

New label altered

Anyway, if you're correct and only some of the blends were altered, it would be really nice if C&D would openly comment on this and provide a list of of the altered blends so we know what to expect when we make a purchase. The fact that their long time customers are left in the lurch regarding this matter is unacceptable and until I know what to expect when I open a new stock tin from them, I am done purchasing their tobacco.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Timbo

PostSubject: Re: What in the Heck happened to C&D's cut?   Sat May 05, 2018 9:49 pm

Drums,

I tried posing that question to Greg via glpease.com and the contact form there, but it insisted my valid email address wasn't, so no joy there.

I'm pretty sure this isn't switching to the new McC toys as these two were tinned in June and September 2017.

At least the flakes and plugs are safe for now.

Harrumph

Tim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: What in the Heck happened to C&D's cut?   Sat May 05, 2018 10:45 pm

Timbo wrote:
Drums,

I tried posing that question to Greg via glpease.com and the contact form there, but it insisted my valid email address wasn't, so no joy there.

I'm pretty sure this isn't switching to the new McC toys as these two were tinned in June and September 2017.

At least the flakes and plugs are safe for now.

Harrumph

Tim

With the obvious disinformation offered regarding the "delay in good red Virginia, no worries, nothing to see here, it'll be back after a while" from McClelland, it wouldn't surprise me to find out the machinery was moved from KC in late 2017. Obfuscation, Deception and silence is what we can expect. There'll only be big players in the tobacco game soon. Suspect
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Timbo

PostSubject: Re: What in the Heck happened to C&D's cut?   Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:03 pm

Found a fix for my flavourless Westminster, press it up for a week or two into a plug then roughly crumble it. This tastes like the Westminster I remember, so all the component tobaccos are present in the right amounts, proving to me it was the cut that changed the taste. I may just stick with Quiet Nights if I've got to go to that effort just to enjoy something I used to love straight out of the tin.

Sad C&D, sad.

Tim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: What in the Heck happened to C&D's cut?   Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:57 pm

[quote="Ozark Wizard"]
Timbo wrote:
Drums,

There'll only be big players in the tobacco game soon. Suspect

'Fraid your right there Wiz. With the costs of pipe varieties of leaf production going up, and the market getting smaller, only the big guys will stay in business. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile

What in the Heck happened to C&D's cut?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2