HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Favorite Pipe Brand/Pipemaker?

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Davy Jones

Registration date : 2016-04-25

PostSubject: Favorite Pipe Brand/Pipemaker?   Mon May 14, 2018 2:00 pm

I'm not sure if the question was recently asked...So, can you tell us what your favorite brands of pipe, or pipemaker, is/are, and why?

Currently, because of the new lifestyle I have since I retired, Falcon are best for me, as well as Petersons. But I still keep a soft spot for the Made in Denmark Stanwell, because the price was right, quality and engineering were great, they looked great and smoked great as well.

Pipemakers wise (artisans), Ryan Alden, Charl Goussard and David Enrique are my top picks. The care to details they apply, besides the impeccable engineering, as well as their price range, remain unbeatable. And they make stunning looking pipes!

David, sadly, had to cease his activities. I believe it's a significant loss to our hobby.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Pipe Brand/Pipemaker?   Mon May 14, 2018 2:35 pm

Mark Tinsky.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pepesdad1

Registration date : 2013-03-03

PostSubject: Favorite Pipe Brand/Pipemaker?   Mon May 14, 2018 3:01 pm

Pipe Brands? Comoy and GBD

Pipemaker? While he is not in the same class as those mentioned above, Briar Spirit Pipes because of the love and "heart" Kirk put in each one.

Walt
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Corncobcon

Registration date : 2017-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Pipe Brand/Pipemaker?   Mon May 14, 2018 3:12 pm

Missouri Meerschaum, Savinelli, Dunhill and Ascorti would be my favorite pipe brands. Oh, let's not forget GBD and Stanwell! Those are the ones I smoke the most, so I guess they are my favorites!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Pipe Brand/Pipemaker?   Mon May 14, 2018 4:59 pm

pepesdad1 wrote:
Pipe Brands? †Comoy and GBD

Pipemaker? †While he is not in the same class as those mentioned above, Briar Spirit Pipes because of the love and "heart" Kirk put in each one.

Walt

With you there Walt. I miss those days with Kirk. I consider myself very fortunate to have a few of his creations. As mentioned above, lots of other great pipesmiths out there though and making a call on one would be a discredit to the others.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://stickballard.wixsite.com/blog
ak2000

Registration date : 2017-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Pipe Brand/Pipemaker?   Mon May 14, 2018 5:08 pm

Would like to get a Tinsky some day...

My favorites are the Italians, Castello, Moretti, Ascorti, Caminetto, Savinelli, not necessarily in that order
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.alphaprimecomm.com
Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Pipe Brand/Pipemaker?   Mon May 14, 2018 7:07 pm

ak2000 wrote:
Would like to get a Tinsky some day...

My favorites are the Italians, Castello, Moretti, Ascorti, Caminetto, Savinelli, not necessarily in that order

Then get one, dammit! Twisted Evil
(I have 26 of em - best price/quality/beauty ratio IMO.)

My Tinskys, Rad Davis and Ruthenbergs get most of the action.
(Rad and Brian no longer make pipes.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SourMilk

Registration date : 2018-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Pipe Brand/Pipemaker?   Mon May 14, 2018 7:21 pm

Tinsky, Iíve got two and will add at least one more.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Pipe Brand/Pipemaker?   Mon May 14, 2018 8:20 pm

As with the same question relating to tobacco, I just can't nail down one maker/artisan. I own 175+ pipes, all kinds; only a few have been a disappointment. I will say that I really miss KBossi, Rad Davis, Bill Ashton-Taylor, and Brian Ruthenberg cheers FTRPLT

Last edited by ftrplt on Wed May 16, 2018 10:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BriarBeagle

Registration date : 2016-11-08

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Pipe Brand/Pipemaker?   Tue May 15, 2018 12:31 am

Lately I've had a bit of a man crush on Chris Asteriou. I've got 3 of his pieces and they are all exceptionally engineered and beautiful to look at. Fine, Fine smokers, but a bit pricey. There are so many talented carvers, both old and new, but I'll be content with a good ole' MM Marcus cob any day of the week.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Pipe Brand/Pipemaker?   Tue May 15, 2018 1:08 am

Cobs and those of anyone who can make a really great billiard. Jesse Jones comes to mind, but I only have one of his. I've seen several that I wish I hadn't passed on. Quantity-wise, Peterson appears to be my favorite, but that wouldn't be true. Many pipes of mine smoke better than Petes generally. Castellos, Dunhills, Il Ceppo, Ron Powell, Ser Jacopo. Never met a Stanwell I didn't like. I guess I don't really have a favorite. Oh, wait...I said cobs, didn't I?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Pipe Brand/Pipemaker?   Tue May 15, 2018 2:26 am

Guess my two favorite "brands" would be pre 1980 Charatan and pre 1980 Edwards as I have the most of these in my collection. The only "artisan" pipe I own is a Growley but sadly he's not making pipes anymore but it is one of the best pipes I own. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slowroll

Registration date : 2017-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Pipe Brand/Pipemaker?   Tue May 15, 2018 1:20 pm

Well, I have to immodestly say my favorite †smokers are my own, followed by all the Jarls I have. †I love to fire up a new one right out of the shop and see how it is.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
desertpiper

Registration date : 2012-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Pipe Brand/Pipemaker?   Tue May 15, 2018 1:52 pm

Growley's for me. Would like to get a tinsky as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jefe1037

Registration date : 2012-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Pipe Brand/Pipemaker?   Tue May 15, 2018 2:33 pm

I see a lot of "I'd like to get a tinsky on this thread.... If only one of our brother's had one listed over on the trading post for a very reasonable price...

(In this day and age, I feel it's best to note that I have no association with any items for sale... Just a psa!)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BriarBeagle

Registration date : 2016-11-08

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Pipe Brand/Pipemaker?   Tue May 15, 2018 2:44 pm

jefe1037 wrote:
I see a lot of "I'd like to get a tinsky on this thread.... If only one of our brother's had one listed over on the trading post for a very reasonable price...

(In this day and age, I feel it's best to note that I have no association with any items for sale... Just a psa!)

cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Davy Jones

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Pipe Brand/Pipemaker?   Tue May 15, 2018 5:09 pm

A particular type of shape and finish I would like to own one day would be one of Larrysson's tree Barks...I love th organic look of them!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Pipe Brand/Pipemaker?   Wed May 16, 2018 7:54 pm

Many of the makers/artisans I enjoy are already listed.

Factory pipes I have and respect are Peterson and Savinelli. Some say Peterson have jumped the shark on quality. That may or may not be so, but all I can say is that the ones I have and smoke are fine. And I do have some newer ones. Beyond that, I have some other Italian makers that rate high.

Artisan carvers:

Who can say enough about all the talent we have right here in the U.S. of A with folks like Jesse Jones, Mark Tinsky, Brian G. Rowley, Ron Powell, Rad Davis, David Huber, Todd Johnson, and many more. Our own Kirk Fitzgerald (Briar Spirit) has made my top 5 list. Pity he isn't carving any more.

I'd also like to add a commission from Charl Goussard some day. Plus many more.....

And while I don't own pipes from all those listed, I feel privileged to enjoy the few that I do have. I do like to support the individual entrepreneurs in their quest for expression and perfection.

What was the question again? †scratch

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
earl

Registration date : 2007-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Pipe Brand/Pipemaker?   Thu May 17, 2018 8:08 pm

Brewdude, I have more Petersons than any other maker. They are my favorite. Have had no issues with any of those I
have bought but realize not everybody can claim that. Never owned an artisan pipe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Pipe Brand/Pipemaker?   Fri May 18, 2018 1:23 pm

Iíve been meditating this question and will offer this unspecific reply ó I have about ten pipes still in boxes that Iíve only admired, so far. So thereís initial attraction. Style, brand an finish generally reflects my older pipes. However, if youíre talking long-term, meaningful relationships,😊 Iíd have to list the Stanwells, Charatans, Petes, Savs and Jobeys that have been my briar buddies, some for five decades. From my rack population, you may say the proprietor has a soft spot ó but not exclusively ó for blasts with a slight ďSĒ bend.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Davy Jones

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Pipe Brand/Pipemaker?   Fri May 18, 2018 4:53 pm

earl wrote:
Brewdude, I have more Petersons than any other maker. They are my favorite. Have had no issues with any of those I
have bought but realize not everybody can claim that. Never owned an artisan pipe.

I've had a very negative opinion of Peterson in the past, for owning 6 or 7 that were UNSAT in many ways, from minor issues to serious. The small issues were big enough to spoil the pleasure ; for example a stem that was improperly fitted, consequently displaying a nice gap between its end and the beginning of the shank. All I saw was the fricking gap...
Recently, I started buying a few of them, Bents with acrylic stems only, for a change of pace from my Falcon pipes when I was doing outdoors stuff. I came to realize that when I accepted only those with a proper drilling (and despite the impossibility to pass a pipe cleaner), they barely gurgled and never produced pipe juice as was the case with the 2 Straight Peterson I owned at the time. I've also elected to buy only Army Mounts so that I could always, after a bowl, easily remove the stem, wipe the shank and let it dry properly for a few days before picking it up again.
I've also realized that their sandblasts seem to be better smokers that the smooth or rusticated, which require more patience and attention to build a proper cake and I can't really explain why.
Now I'm at 6 Peterson and I'm satisfied by all of them (awaiting 2 more). And that will probably not stop there. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
earl

Registration date : 2007-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Pipe Brand/Pipemaker?   Sat May 19, 2018 6:39 pm

Davy Jones wrote:
earl wrote:

I've had a very negative opinion of Peterson in the past, for owning 6 or 7 that were UNSAT in many ways, from minor issues to serious. The small issues were big enough to spoil the pleasure ; for example a stem that was improperly fitted, consequently displaying a nice gap between its end and the beginning of the shank. All I saw was the fricking gap...
Recently, I started buying a few of them, Bents with acrylic stems only, for a change of pace from my Falcon pipes when I was doing outdoors stuff. I came to realize that when I accepted only those with a proper drilling (and despite the impossibility to pass a pipe cleaner), they barely gurgled and never produced pipe juice as was the case with the 2 Straight Peterson I owned at the time. I've also elected to buy only Army Mounts so that I could always, after a bowl, easily remove the stem, wipe the shank and let it dry properly for a few days before picking it up again.
I've also realized that their sandblasts seem to be better smokers that the smooth or rusticated, which require more patience and attention to build a proper cake and I can't really explain why.
Now I'm at 6 Peterson and I'm satisfied by all of them (awaiting 2 more). And that will probably not stop there. Wink

If you find decent Petes, they can become fairly addictive if you like their design aesthetic, which I do. I find their bowl designs quite attractive, particularly the designs stemming from their Sherlock Holmes line. Most I have like that are rusticated Kinsales bought new and were flawless in manufacture and performance.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Davy Jones

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Pipe Brand/Pipemaker?   Sun May 20, 2018 4:53 pm

earl wrote:
Davy Jones wrote:
earl wrote:

If you find decent Petes, they can become fairly addictive if you like their design aesthetic, which I do. I find their bowl designs quite attractive, particularly the designs stemming from their Sherlock Holmes line. Most I have like that are rusticated Kinsales bought new and were flawless in manufacture and performance.

In other words: when you hit a good one, it's really good. And a total keeper! cheers Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Pipe Brand/Pipemaker?   Mon May 21, 2018 2:16 am

I donít think anyone has mentioned my favorite yet. To me, Radice in Italy makes the best smoking pipe of anything Iíve tried. I have an oil cured twin bore faux bamboo that is likely the best smoking pipe ever made by anyone in the history of the world. Cool

I donít recall if I saw Ashton mentioned either...but they should be up there with the very best.

Then, for value, itís hard to beat Pete.

And for the joys of the industrial revolution...a Falcon with a large Briar or Meer bowl.

And lastly...the lowly cob that smokes anything and everything well and is so cheap itís just plain stupid.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Pipe Brand/Pipemaker?   Mon May 21, 2018 2:45 pm

I've never had a less than stellar Radice. Granted, I've only had a half-dozen+ or so, and all from the early 90s, but they were all phenomenal smokers. Because of that, I've always wished he dated his pipes. I even had a Radice Rind with walls no thicker than the cardboard from the backs of two notepads that never smoked hot or wet. I think it could have been a motorcycle smoker if someone had needed one. On top of that, it couldn't have weighed more than an ounce. This thing was a freak of nature.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Favorite Pipe Brand/Pipemaker?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next