HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Caminetto Estate PAD

Go down 
AuthorMessage
ak2000

Registration date : 2017-10-15

PostSubject: Caminetto Estate PAD   Mon May 21, 2018 3:39 pm

Just got a giant Caminetto pot sitter eBay estate find

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.alphaprimecomm.com
Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Caminetto Estate PAD   Mon May 21, 2018 3:44 pm

That's an early-70's pipe (thin mustache) and a beaut. Very keen on the dark marble stem and dark stain. I happen to be a big, big fan of the slight Italian flair on the billiard (that ever so slight tapering of the bowl). There's a fairly large shank length variation on the 118 (assuming that is a 118). They can almost look like Canadians at times.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ak2000

PostSubject: Re: Caminetto Estate PAD   Mon May 21, 2018 3:52 pm

Yup it's a 118 and unbelievably mint for a pipe from the 70s! and you're right the long shank does almost make it look like a Canadian. Thanks for the feedback, hearing this makes me even happier for the apparent bargain I just got Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Zeno Marx

PostSubject: Re: Caminetto Estate PAD   Mon May 21, 2018 4:36 pm

In case you're new to vintage Caminettos, the little shield indicates it was made for, and sold at, a Tinder Box. Some also had a thick, glossy shellac finish. Not entirely sure why some did and some did not. I don't happen to like the aesthetic of those, though I have found them to smoke no differently, despite the theoretics that one would assume it would trap the wood and make it less porous and breathable.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SourMilk

Registration date : 2018-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Caminetto Estate PAD   Mon May 21, 2018 5:21 pm

Nice pipe! Great find.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hiram-2011

Registration date : 2012-03-23

PostSubject: Re: Caminetto Estate PAD   Mon May 21, 2018 7:33 pm

Nice pipe and nice little history lesson from Zeno.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ak2000

PostSubject: Re: Caminetto Estate PAD   Mon May 21, 2018 8:48 pm

Zeno Marx wrote:
In case you're new to vintage Caminettos, the little shield indicates it was made for, and sold at, a Tinder Box.  Some also had a thick, glossy shellac finish.  Not entirely sure why some did and some did not.  I don't happen to like the aesthetic of those, though I have found them to smoke no differently, despite the theoretics that one would assume it would trap the wood and make it less porous and breathable.

I am, thanks for the great info!
Back to top Go down
fishnbanjo

Registration date : 2013-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Caminetto Estate PAD   Wed May 30, 2018 5:37 pm

Caminetto estates are some of the best finds out there if they have been taken care of, enjoy it!
banjo
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fishnbanjosplace.yuku.com/directory#.UOxnWne3ofw
Zeno Marx

PostSubject: Re: Caminetto Estate PAD   Wed May 30, 2018 6:04 pm

ak2000 wrote:
Zeno Marx wrote:
In case you're new to vintage Caminettos, the little shield indicates it was made for, and sold at, a Tinder Box.  Some also had a thick, glossy shellac finish.  Not entirely sure why some did and some did not.  I don't happen to like the aesthetic of those, though I have found them to smoke no differently, despite the theoretics that one would assume it would trap the wood and make it less porous and breathable.

I am, thanks for the great info!
I need to correct my statement a bit. It wasn't shellac. It was lacquer. Wrong terminology. Mike at Briar Blues says the type of finish I described is lacquer.*

*but he also sees no difference between ingesting one carcinogen vs two carcinogens. I agree with a lot of what he says, but I see no practical logic or sense in that kind of philosophy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Caminetto Estate PAD
Page 1 of 1