HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share
 

 Show the cheap one you love

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
JensDK

JensDK

Location : Denmark
Registration date : 2018-07-07

Show the cheap one you love Empty
PostSubject: Show the cheap one you love   Show the cheap one you love EmptySun Jul 08, 2018 9:17 pm

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t mean to provoke collectors of refined pipes. On the contrary, I am in awe of some of the artworks created by good craftsmen and all the joy it can offer and have owned a few myself. Got back to that again recently with a beautiful estate from Søren Refbjerg.

…But:

Skipping through the topics of this great forum, they often seem to focus on the unique. So I feel an urge to also speak up for good low-end pipes and to actually value them. There are some truly great smokers out there.

Hope others will contribute, and I’ll start out with probably the best pipe for mixture I’ve ever owned: An old Comoy’s Everyman. It arrived this spring in near new condition and cost me next to nothing. To me, everything is right about this pipe: I like the sanding - it’s not perfect, but nature doesn’t care about our idea of perfection, it just exists, right? Also, the balance is better than most, I barely notice bit and lips when smoking it. And most important: Any mixture unfolds like a flower. My midnight smoke is the best smoke, and I almost always pick the Everyman. I really, really love this pipe!

If you too have a love like mine that makes your heart beat, please, get it out, show it and value it!

Show the cheap one you love Fullsi10
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Richard Burley

Location : North Coast NY
Registration date : 2011-04-09

Show the cheap one you love Empty
PostSubject: Re: Show the cheap one you love   Show the cheap one you love EmptySun Jul 08, 2018 9:56 pm

You mean other than cobs? Picked this up on ebay, allegedly a Charatan 2nd, allegedly restored by Walker Briarworks prior to purchase. I paid $30 US. Handles everything I put in it, including some blends that don't get along with my other pipes. Not the prettiest pipe I own, but it has become an often used favorite. Hope I don't queer it by smoking it too much.

Show the cheap one you love Charat10
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

monbla256

Age : 73
Location : DFW Metroplex, Texas
Registration date : 2012-01-15

Show the cheap one you love Empty
PostSubject: Re: Show the cheap one you love   Show the cheap one you love EmptyMon Jul 09, 2018 12:29 am

Richard Burley wrote:
You mean other than cobs? Picked this up on ebay, allegedly a Charatan 2nd, allegedly restored by Walker Briarworks prior to purchase. I paid $30 US. Handles everything I put in it, including some blends that don't get along with my other pipes. Not the prettiest pipe I own, but it has become an often used favorite. Hope I don't queer it by smoking it too much.

Show the cheap one you love Charat10

Richard, is your pipe a Mountbatten by any chance? Charatan did not make any seconds as Mountbattens were made by apprentice carvers using the same briar as the Charatans and the same standard shapes. I have 6 Mountbattens 4 blasted and two smooth. Their blasted pipes were wonderfully gnarly and I love mine as everyone smokes great ! $30. is not bad !! I just got a smooth 172 Mountbatten Pot for $33. so you beat me !! Twisted Evil
As far as the best smoking "cheap" pipe I would have to say it's my GBD Virgin 458 strait bulldog w/SB. I still have the box and reciept for it which I bought in Aug. of 1972 for $22.89 ! One of the BEST smoking pipes I own! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JensDK

JensDK

Location : Denmark
Registration date : 2018-07-07

Show the cheap one you love Empty
PostSubject: Re: Show the cheap one you love   Show the cheap one you love EmptyMon Jul 09, 2018 5:00 am

Richard Burley wrote:
You mean other than cobs? Picked this up on ebay, allegedly a Charatan 2nd, allegedly restored by Walker Briarworks prior to purchase. I paid $30 US. Handles everything I put in it, including some blends that don't get along with my other pipes. Not the prettiest pipe I own, but it has become an often used favorite. Hope I don't queer it by smoking it too much.

Show the cheap one you love Charat10

Should have been more specific: Absolutely a cob, if you have one you love!

That one looks very nice indeed! Very nicely shaped, and I like the brown, ruggy sandblasting.

Hehe, this could turn into a price competition: Mine cost me $19 US Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Richard Burley

Location : North Coast NY
Registration date : 2011-04-09

Show the cheap one you love Empty
PostSubject: Re: Show the cheap one you love   Show the cheap one you love EmptyMon Jul 09, 2018 8:28 am

monbla256 wrote:
...Richard, is your pipe a Mountbatten by any chance? Charatan did not make any seconds as Mountbattens were made by apprentice carvers using the same briar as the Charatans and the same standard shapes.

It's not stamped as such, just MADE IN LONDON ENGLAND, the same as another alleged Charatan second I have. I had that identical pipe, a bent pot, in Charatan first form. They looked identical to me, other than the lack of the stepped bit on the "second," and the lack of MADE IN on the first, the imprint being CHARATAN'S MAKE, LONDON ENGLAND. Exact same size and style of lettering on both. In any event, they both smoke great.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
huffelpuff

huffelpuff

Age : 49
Location : Laramie, WY
Registration date : 2011-12-10

Show the cheap one you love Empty
PostSubject: Re: Show the cheap one you love   Show the cheap one you love EmptyTue Jul 10, 2018 8:02 pm

There are a number of low end pipes here that do a great deal of smoking. Not that there is a lack of nicer pipes but because the low end pipes I have are all very old and used old wood when they were made. I believe that contributes to better smoking. Pics will follow soon but I haven't got time at present to get them. Love that Everyman I have one rather like that that I enjoy immensely.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JensDK

JensDK

Location : Denmark
Registration date : 2018-07-07

Show the cheap one you love Empty
PostSubject: Re: Show the cheap one you love   Show the cheap one you love EmptyTue Jul 10, 2018 8:17 pm

huffelpuff wrote:
There are a number of low end pipes here that do a great deal of smoking. Not that there is a lack of nicer pipes but because the low end pipes I have are all very old and used old wood when they were made. I believe that contributes to better smoking. Pics will follow soon but I haven't got time at present to get them. Love that Everyman I have one rather like that that I enjoy immensely.

Jim

That's a good point, and I think you're right. The first pipe I bought for my new collection was an old BBB from app. the 60's with metal inlay on the stem. It's just from one of the standard series, but I haven't detected one single filling on the bowl. You wouldn't get that today from a standard pipe. I think the constant hunt for good briar somehow exploits the natural ressources.
Love to see your pictures when you find the time!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
huffelpuff

huffelpuff

Age : 49
Location : Laramie, WY
Registration date : 2011-12-10

Show the cheap one you love Empty
PostSubject: Re: Show the cheap one you love   Show the cheap one you love EmptyTue Jul 10, 2018 10:38 pm

Show the cheap one you love 15312710

The far left is an old Yello-bowl from the 40's or 50's. Next to that top right is a Trapper from Drucquer & Son, EA Carey magic inch rusticated brandy, Normar longshanked something, Kaywoodie Super grain Dublin, No name made in England panel pipe and a bent rusticated Chateau Brauer. Not one of these pipes cost me more than 20$ most were between 3-5$. Everyone of them smokes incredibly well.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JensDK

JensDK

Location : Denmark
Registration date : 2018-07-07

Show the cheap one you love Empty
PostSubject: Re: Show the cheap one you love   Show the cheap one you love EmptyWed Jul 11, 2018 7:59 pm

huffelpuff wrote:
Show the cheap one you love 15312710

The far left is an old Yello-bowl from the 40's or 50's. Next to that top right is a Trapper from Drucquer & Son, EA Carey magic inch rusticated brandy, Normar longshanked something, Kaywoodie Super grain Dublin, No name made in England panel pipe and a bent rusticated Chateau Brauer. Not one of these pipes cost me more than 20$ most were between 3-5$. Everyone of them smokes incredibly well.

Jim

I really like the Drucquer and the Chateau Brauer. And I like that they’re well taken care of but still show the wear. Haven’t heard the names before, though. Do you know anything about the brands?

Jens
Back to top Go down
View user profile
huffelpuff

huffelpuff

Age : 49
Location : Laramie, WY
Registration date : 2011-12-10

Show the cheap one you love Empty
PostSubject: Re: Show the cheap one you love   Show the cheap one you love EmptyWed Jul 11, 2018 8:09 pm

All I know of the CB is that it was made in France and was originally a smooth pipe. I bought it refurbished off of eBay and the gent had rusticated it himself. He did an outstanding job of it too. The Trapper is from a shop in I believe Sam Francisco that shut down by the early to mid 80's that was a hugely popular shop. I believe that Mr G L Pease worked there in his younger days.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JensDK

JensDK

Location : Denmark
Registration date : 2018-07-07

Show the cheap one you love Empty
PostSubject: Re: Show the cheap one you love   Show the cheap one you love EmptySat Jul 14, 2018 10:30 am

huffelpuff wrote:
All I know of the CB is that it was made in France and was originally a smooth pipe. I bought it refurbished off of eBay and the gent had rusticated it himself. He did an outstanding job of it too. The Trapper is from a shop in I believe Sam Francisco that shut down by the early to mid 80's that was a hugely popular shop. I believe that Mr G L Pease worked there in his younger days.

Jim


That's interesting. I looked up this Pease and he seems to be a big tobacco maker in the US. Would love to try out some of them, but unfortunately I've never seen them in Europe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
huffelpuff

huffelpuff

Age : 49
Location : Laramie, WY
Registration date : 2011-12-10

Show the cheap one you love Empty
PostSubject: Re: Show the cheap one you love   Show the cheap one you love EmptySat Jul 14, 2018 12:09 pm

Yes I'm afraid his blends are not generally available in Europe. He occasionally pops in here on the BoB and it's always enlightening when he does. I'm afraid I haven't tried very many of his blends myself. I just don't smoke very many latikia blends.

Jim

Back to top Go down
View user profile
daveinlax

daveinlax

Location : Wisconsin
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Show the cheap one you love Empty
PostSubject: Re: Show the cheap one you love   Show the cheap one you love EmptySat Jul 14, 2018 8:35 pm

That blast looks like old Algerian wood. Another thing is that Charatan was a brand that stopped the blast and rusticated the shank/stem transition. Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fr_Tom

Fr_Tom

Location : Diocese of Northern Indiana
Registration date : 2013-05-29

Show the cheap one you love Empty
PostSubject: Re: Show the cheap one you love   Show the cheap one you love EmptySun Jul 15, 2018 4:15 am

I have some Grabow pots that are astonishingly good smokers. The combo that seems to work for me is the threaded tenon with a vulcanite stem.

Here is a Belvedere I got off the 'Bay for $8.50 (I think).

Show the cheap one you love Grabow11
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/user/14371
ontariopiper

ontariopiper

Age : 47
Location : Kitchener, Ontario CANADA
Registration date : 2015-03-10

Show the cheap one you love Empty
PostSubject: Re: Show the cheap one you love   Show the cheap one you love EmptySun Jul 15, 2018 6:32 pm

I think this one qualifies as a "cheap one"! I don;t think I paid $5CAD for it as part of a mixed box of battered estates. It was in horrendous shape when I started work on it but it rehabilitated very nicely and has become one of a handful of briars that I reach for the most. The bit is comfortable, the weight balanced, and it smokes easily with just about whatever blend I throw at it.

Here is a Before & After pic to show you what I actually paid money for.... Shocked Shocked

Show the cheap one you love Zombie-before-after
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dadspipes.com
Brewdude
Moderator
Brewdude

Age : 66
Location : Arid-zona
Registration date : 2011-05-04

Show the cheap one you love Empty
PostSubject: Re: Show the cheap one you love   Show the cheap one you love EmptySun Jul 15, 2018 7:25 pm

ontariopiper wrote:
I think this one qualifies as a "cheap one"! I don;t think I paid $5CAD for it as part of a mixed box of battered estates. It was in horrendous shape when I started work on it but it rehabilitated very nicely and has become one of a handful of briars that I reach for the most. The bit is comfortable, the weight balanced, and it smokes easily with just about whatever blend I throw at it.

Here is a Before & After pic to show you what I actually paid money for.... Shocked Shocked

Show the cheap one you love Zombie-before-after

Impressive transformation Charles!

Cool


Cheers,

RR

_________________
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin


Show the cheap one you love Purple11x 2Show the cheap one you love Bombx10  Show the cheap one you love Bombx5Show the cheap one you love D6bddf10 Show the cheap one you love 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.randereed.com
JensDK

JensDK

Location : Denmark
Registration date : 2018-07-07

Show the cheap one you love Empty
PostSubject: Re: Show the cheap one you love   Show the cheap one you love EmptyTue Jul 17, 2018 9:28 am

ontariopiper wrote:
I think this one qualifies as a "cheap one"! I don;t think I paid $5CAD for it as part of a mixed box of battered estates. It was in horrendous shape when I started work on it but it rehabilitated very nicely and has become one of a handful of briars that I reach for the most. The bit is comfortable, the weight balanced, and it smokes easily with just about whatever blend I throw at it.

Here is a Before & After pic to show you what I actually paid money for.... Shocked Shocked

Show the cheap one you love Zombie-before-after

Good lord! The "before" looks almost like stoneware.
Very nice work indeed!

Jens
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JensDK

JensDK

Location : Denmark
Registration date : 2018-07-07

Show the cheap one you love Empty
PostSubject: Re: Show the cheap one you love   Show the cheap one you love EmptyTue Jul 17, 2018 9:37 am

Fr_Tom wrote:
I have some Grabow pots that are astonishingly good smokers. The combo that seems to work for me is the threaded tenon with a vulcanite stem.

Here is a Belvedere I got off the 'Bay for $8.50 (I think).

Show the cheap one you love Grabow11

That one looks nice, Fr_Tom! I looked up Dr. Grabow (another American name unfamiliar to me). Apparently he was a real doctor in no way associated with the pipes. In the 30's he was asked to lend his name to convince costumers of this "healthy" product. Apparently he was very flattered and regularly received pipe gifts during his lifetime. Really liked the story:

https://pipedia.org/wiki/Dr._Grabow
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fr_Tom

Fr_Tom

Location : Diocese of Northern Indiana
Registration date : 2013-05-29

Show the cheap one you love Empty
PostSubject: Re: Show the cheap one you love   Show the cheap one you love EmptyTue Jul 17, 2018 9:54 am

JensDK wrote:


That one looks nice, Fr_Tom! I looked up Dr. Grabow (another American name unfamiliar to me). Apparently he was a real doctor in no way associated with the pipes. In the 30's he was asked to lend his name to convince costumers of this "healthy" product. Apparently he was very flattered and regularly received pipe gifts during his lifetime. Really liked the story:

https://pipedia.org/wiki/Dr._Grabow

I really am very fond of them.

I am smoking Pegasus in a Silver Duke pot as I type this.

Show the cheap one you love Grabow12
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/user/14371
monbla256

monbla256

Age : 73
Location : DFW Metroplex, Texas
Registration date : 2012-01-15

Show the cheap one you love Empty
PostSubject: Re: Show the cheap one you love   Show the cheap one you love EmptyTue Jul 17, 2018 12:36 pm

I'm like you Fr. Tom, Pots are my favorite shape and those two look really nice ! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bonanzadriver

Bonanzadriver

Registration date : 2017-04-12

Show the cheap one you love Empty
PostSubject: Re: Show the cheap one you love   Show the cheap one you love EmptyTue Jul 17, 2018 5:01 pm

Picked up this Yacht as part of an estate find on CL.

Probably have $5 to $10 in it...


Show the cheap one you love T9wnmYA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JensDK

JensDK

Location : Denmark
Registration date : 2018-07-07

Show the cheap one you love Empty
PostSubject: Re: Show the cheap one you love   Show the cheap one you love EmptyWed Jul 18, 2018 2:00 pm

Wau, a really beautiful shape. Does it have a name stamped?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Corncobcon

Corncobcon

Age : 69
Location : From the prarie of KS. to Lake of the Ozarks, MO.
Registration date : 2017-10-15

Show the cheap one you love Empty
PostSubject: Re: Show the cheap one you love   Show the cheap one you love EmptyThu Jul 19, 2018 2:09 pm

Here are a few of my "cheap" oldies that I can't part with...

Show the cheap one you love Old_pi10
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JensDK

JensDK

Location : Denmark
Registration date : 2018-07-07

Show the cheap one you love Empty
PostSubject: Re: Show the cheap one you love   Show the cheap one you love EmptyFri Jul 20, 2018 10:40 am

Corncobcon wrote:
Here are a few of my "cheap" oldies that I can't part with...

Show the cheap one you love Old_pi10

Is that a Jeantet bottom left? Looks like the kind of Bent Bulldog I’d want in my new little collection. And the one next to it with a white stem has a beautiful grain. No reason in the world to part from that! i like Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bonanzadriver

Bonanzadriver

Registration date : 2017-04-12

Show the cheap one you love Empty
PostSubject: Re: Show the cheap one you love   Show the cheap one you love EmptySun Jul 22, 2018 1:32 pm

JensDK wrote:
Wau, a really beautiful shape. Does it have a name stamped?


It's a Savinelli 904
Back to top Go down
View user profile
 
Show the cheap one you love
Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next
 Similar topics
-
» java script slide show
» How can I create a slide show?
» Slide Show
» I want to show the way spacers between the buttons sceditor
» My categories don't show

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Photo Gallery-
Jump to: