HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Does anyone smoke an Artison pipe like thia

Go down 
AuthorMessage
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Does anyone smoke an Artison pipe like thia   Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:26 pm

I can appreciate the craftmanship and artistry in this piece of wood sculpture but would you really smoke it? If so, where and when? This is just an example of some of the "Artison" pipes I've seen with some even more absurd ! Just curious ! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/gotoh/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=37779
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BriarBeagle

Registration date : 2016-11-08

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone smoke an Artison pipe like thia   Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:39 pm

I would smoke the heck out of it.  I don't discriminate.  I'd smoke it just about any time, and any place, and if it proved to be a good smoker, I'd smoke it even MORE.

I personally am not a fan of this particular shape, so I'd likely never own it in the first place.  On another note, I've got quite a few unique, artisan pipes, and all of them get smoked regularly.

Different strokes for different folks, and all that jazz.  Just putting in my $.02.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone smoke an Artison pipe like thia   Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:45 pm

Not my cup of tea old bean. Interesting from an expressionism perspective but I would have to have lost my marbles to smoke a pipe like that. I guess I'm one for the classics and tradition. Not knocking anyone who'd have it gracing their pipe rack, it's just not for me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone smoke an Artison pipe like thia   Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:27 pm

Interesting as a Briar sculpture, and I've seen others that are in this general style. I admire the creativity and execution, but it's not a piece I'd own even if I could afford it.

And even if I could afford it I'd be hard pressed to smoke it as it would be best as an unsmoked showpiece item.

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.randereed.com
huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone smoke an Artison pipe like thia   Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:29 pm

I don't have any pipes like that but I have to say if it showed up on my doorstep needing a home I would certainly smoke it. I much prefer the classics but I'm sure with the right tobacco it would smoke just as well as any pipe I own. Would I feel self conscious smoking it in public yes yes I would. I would smoke it in public though because it would get people talking. Perhaps even encourage someone to take up the pipe. Just my opinion.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone smoke an Artison pipe like thia   Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:01 pm

Looks like a pipe a lot of work went into. Probably out of my price range. But sure, I'd smoke the sh!t out of it, and in front of mixed company just to show it off.

Why not?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Idlefellow

Registration date : 2009-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone smoke an Artison pipe like thia   Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:24 am

banjo would Very Happy !
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Idlefellow

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone smoke an Artison pipe like thia   Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:25 am

Last edited by Idlefellow on Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:18 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : double post)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone smoke an Artison pipe like thia   Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:13 am

That's not a clencher, so how would you hold it if you did want to smoke it? The end projection? Seems as though that would get old fast. Looks like a pending rack queen, assuming a rack that could hold it. Love how the bowl is coated, anticipating many happy smokes. Laughing

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Terry292

Registration date : 2009-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone smoke an Artison pipe like thia   Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:43 am

I wouldn't buy it, but I'd smoke the dickens out of it if it somehow came into my possession. I lost my affinity for Freehand style pipes way back in the 1970s.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone smoke an Artison pipe like thia   Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:12 pm

There are a lot of "design oriented" pipes that are more statement pieces than anything. The thing that has always amazed me was that they commonly sell very quickly. I'm not necessarily talking about the more outlandish ones like this example, either. Pipes and carvers that are clearly working on the more arty end of the spectrum and at high prices. Some are very interesting and beautiful, yet I have no idea who would want to buy them, let alone smoke them. They probably aren't being smoked. That's my assumption, wrong or right.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone smoke an Artison pipe like thia   Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:19 pm

Too “designy” for me. You’ve heard the comment that the pipe is what remains after the excess wood has been removed? By that standard this particular example is a work in progress.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone smoke an Artison pipe like thia   Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:05 pm

Absolutely! I use mine as a yard pipe. Comfy clencher while mowing the lawn. Wink

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone smoke an Artison pipe like thia   Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:58 pm

I would smoke it if I owned it, as long as it smoked well, and knowing its pedigree it probably does. However, I would never buy a pipe that was shaped to look like that. Suspect
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Corncobcon

Registration date : 2017-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone smoke an Artison pipe like thia   Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:01 pm

I would probably put it in a display case.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone smoke an Artison pipe like thia   Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:53 pm

I don't even get why anyone would want one of those 90° Ser Jacopos.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JensDK

Registration date : 2018-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone smoke an Artison pipe like thia   Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:30 pm

Seems like just the pipe for a Saturday night in town Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
denholrl

Registration date : 2012-10-19

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone smoke an Artison pipe like thia   Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:38 pm

Among other qualities, for a pipe to join my rack it must have beautiful unbroken lines and must be comfortable in the hand and in the mouth. So, I would not chose this one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fr_Tom

Registration date : 2013-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone smoke an Artison pipe like thia   Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:16 pm

denholrl wrote:
Among other qualities, for a pipe to join my rack it must have beautiful unbroken lines and must be comfortable in the hand and in the mouth.  So, I would not chose this one.

It would also not fit most racks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/user/14371
Idlefellow

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone smoke an Artison pipe like thia   Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:48 pm

About that pipe, I would apply an old saying that I heard long ago that applies to many things: Just because you can doesn't mean you should.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
smoker13

Registration date : 2016-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone smoke an Artison pipe like thia   Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:53 pm

With a length of almost 8 inches and a weight of nearly 5 ounces, seems like the perfect clencher while you're working under the hood or, better yet, under the chassis of that classic car you're restoring.

Translation: I just don't get it......
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Does anyone smoke an Artison pipe like thia
Page 1 of 1