HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Lost the Love for Latakia

Go down 
AuthorMessage
AdamCordray

Registration date : 2016-08-08

PostSubject: Lost the Love for Latakia   Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:00 pm

Over the past year I have been smoking almost exclusively Virginia based blends, whether itís a straight VA, blended with Turkish/Orientals, Burley/KY, Perique, or any combination of the above. I just canít seem to stomach Latakia anymore. About the most I can do is GL Pease Fillmore but even something like Laurel Heights disagrees with my palate. Just the smell of Latakia is enough to turn me off... I find it a little odd, and canít determine whatís changed with my taste. In the past I enjoyed English and Balkan blends, and a significant portion of my cellar contains Latakia to some extent. Iím not in any hurry to start selling off tobacco ó I suppose part of me hopes I will drift back towards them in the future. Anyone else gone through something like this?

Adam
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Lost the Love for Latakia   Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:10 pm

Yeah, me--in reverse. I detested latakia for a decade or so when starting out on this glorious vice. I find it refreshing after straight virginias, burleys, whatever.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Lost the Love for Latakia   Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:19 pm

I used to smoke 95% robust Englishes. Now I smoke 95% Virginias. I've always liked both. I always had a tin of Escudo opened and smoking. If I get real reflective about it, I don't think my tongue and tastes have changed. I still love the flavor of latakia. I just don't crave it like I once did. Now, I find myself craving Virginia. I also think it has to do with trying newer latakia blends and not thinking very highly of them and the demise of my staples, like BS759. The Virginia blender game is still playing at a high level, while I don't find that to be the same for English blends, which makes sense because some of the components are no longer available at all. And aging isn't driving the English blends.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BriarBeagle

Registration date : 2016-11-08

PostSubject: Re: Lost the Love for Latakia   Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:23 pm

I've had the exact same experience over the past year or two, except for me, it's gotten to the point that I actually unloaded almost everything I had containing Latakia. I always bring an extra cob or clay to the pipe club meetup and sample a Lat blend to see if anything has changed, or if there is an unfamiliar Lat blend that agrees with me. At this point I have not had great results. I guess I'll just have to enjoy the VAs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Lost the Love for Latakia   Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:27 pm

You are not alone Adam. My observations over 30+ years quite a few pipers that go full bore into heavy lat blends get burnt out on them. I believe this is probably going to happen even more now as Cyprian lat is a different beast than Syrian. If you have any old tins of Syrian lat blends you might try smoking those and see if they are a problem too. If you don't want to sell off you could try blending a VA you like with very small amounts of your lat blends and see how you do. All I can offer are my condolences I hope things straighten out for you taste wise. I'm sure the other brothers will chime in. I know Brewdude went through this as well as Blackhorse I believe.

Best of luck
Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Corncobcon

Registration date : 2017-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Lost the Love for Latakia   Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:13 pm

Wow, that's too bad, but hold on to those lat blends, because some day you might want to go back to them. With me, I had a problem with perique blends and some Virginias. I use to enjoy them a lot, but then I couldn't get to smoking them without my stomach getting turned inside out. I just put them away and maybe will try some of them in the near future. With lat blends, I have always liked them, and have never tired of them... yet!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Lost the Love for Latakia   Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:51 pm

I really enjoy Latakia but as my taste for Virginia based blends has developed, I have found that I strongly prefer Latakia almost strictly in a condiment role. Blends like Tashkent and Margate are about as heavy as I like it.

If I smoke over the top Lat-heavy Englishes, I typically have take a break from piping to reset my taste-buds if I want to go back to enjoying my favorite Virginia based blends. Heavy Latakia's tend to screw with my ability to taste complexities in milder mixtures.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Lost the Love for Latakia   Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:41 pm

huffelpuff wrote:
You are not alone Adam. My observations over 30+ years quite a few pipers that go full bore into heavy lat blends get burnt out on them. I believe this is probably going to happen even more now as Cyprian lat is a different beast than Syrian. If you have any old tins of Syrian lat blends you might try smoking those and see if they are a problem too. If you don't want to sell off you could try blending a VA you like with very small amounts of your lat blends and see how you do. All I can offer are my condolences I hope things straighten out for you taste wise. I'm sure the other brothers will chime in. I know Brewdude went through this as well as Blackhorse I believe.[

Best of luck
Jim

Right on Jim. Used to love it many years ago. Now, not so much. And while I don't hate it I rarely reach for a lat blend.

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Lost the Love for Latakia   Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:25 pm

It happened to me too, a few years ago.
I used to love it, now I don't. pale
I still have a bunch of it to get rid of.
I suppose the Dunhills and McClellands should be easy to sell/trade.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Lost the Love for Latakia   Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:53 pm

As long as its pretty condimental I'm OK with Latakia. But its getting to where the last tin of vintage Syrian I got I mixed it fifty/fifty with some Virginias to tone it down. I've been working on a tin of red rapparee for the second year now... It's well decanted!

But tastes sometimes come and go, no worries!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hobie1dog

Registration date : 2010-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Lost the Love for Latakia   Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:28 pm

For anyone who wants to get rid of the latakia, PM me as I would like to be the recipient of that nasty stuff.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Lost the Love for Latakia   Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:59 pm

hobie1dog wrote:
For anyone who wants to get rid of the latakia, PM me as I would like to be the recipient of that nasty stuff.

I'll remember this going forward. But it will have to wait until after my move to AZ in a month.

Wink

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Lost the Love for Latakia   Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:00 am

Having smoked (what I & some others consider) the finest English/Balkan ever blended, BS 759 for almost 30 years I was introduced to the world of NC Va's as blended by the folks in KC, McClellands and I moved away from Latakia focused blends only with an occasional tin or two of 965 finally settling on one Va blend, Royal Yacht with an occasional bowl or two of Arango's Balkan Supreme. After 50 years of pipe smoking this is where I'm at, a Va lover who likes to dip into the world of Latakia occasionally. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Idlefellow

Registration date : 2009-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Lost the Love for Latakia   Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:23 am

AdamCordray wrote:
†Anyone else gone through something like this?

No Evil or Very Mad !
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online

Lost the Love for Latakia
Page 1 of 1