HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Without Warning, an Assessment

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Without Warning, an Assessment   Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:56 pm

I was looking around at my pipe collection this morning and suddenly realized that I hate stem/shank enhancements of any kind. And weird shapes. Even Italian "classic" shapes look wrong. Have been in denial about this for years. Think I'd be better off sticking to Dunhills and other old Brits from now on.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sasquatch

Registration date : 2008-12-14

PostSubject: Re: Without Warning, an Assessment   Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:41 pm

Basically that's where I live too. Plain and perfect. Most of the pipes I smoke are dressed down boring shapes and finishes, and most of what I make is the same. Give me wood and ebonite.

The Italians I appreciate are Castellos more than any other brand, and even then, only 1/10 or so is a "hit" for me, I see a lot of bad/lazy shaping.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

PostSubject: Re: Without Warning, an Assessment   Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:56 pm

Agreed, and those Castellos tick me off too. Close, sometimes, but no cigar. I'll keep you in mind. And let's not forget patina! Maybe I've watched too many '30s and '40s movies; nevertheless, there my pipesmokerly aesthetic sense lies.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ocelot55

Registration date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Without Warning, an Assessment   Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:43 pm

For the most part I'm with you, but I am a sucker for silver!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.jonespipes.com
Sasquatch

PostSubject: Re: Without Warning, an Assessment   Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:24 pm

Psssst... hey buddy.... wanna buy a pipe?

I jest - actually I took this pic in the shop the day the pipe was done, took it to a pipe-club type thing that night, and it never came home with me. Fancy pipes sell, there's buyers for all kinds of stuff, but classics, done right, done tight... they ALL sell.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ocelot55

Registration date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Without Warning, an Assessment   Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:18 am

Sasquatch wrote:
 Fancy pipes sell, there's buyers for all kinds of stuff, but classics, done right, done tight... they ALL sell.  

Truer words never spoken. Reversed-calabash-alier-snails-climbing-mount-Fuji-volcano-blowfish are certainly cool, but there are only a handful of guys willing to shell out that kind of dough for the art that it is. Thousands more just really want a decent pipe to burn tobacco in.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.jonespipes.com
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Without Warning, an Assessment   Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:05 pm

Having focused on three shapes ( Bulldog, Pot, and Apple) for the past 50 years I've not gone in for Freehands ( except for Charatans definition of a Freehand which has usually been a variation on a standard shape) so I don't own one. I haven't found ANY Artison pipes made by ANYONE that appeal to me! JMHO Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Without Warning, an Assessment   Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:05 pm

I fully confess to being a "traditional" British-shape type of pipe smoker. I have a paltry two or three "Danish-style" pipes, but nothing acquired in over 20 years. I'm a good ol' Pot, Billiard, Apple, Bulldog, Brandy, etc.; both straight and bent, kind of guy! Very Happy That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!! cheers FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BriarBeagle

Registration date : 2016-11-08

PostSubject: Re: Without Warning, an Assessment   Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:30 pm

I like them all, and offer no apologies for it. Different strokes for different folks.

Sent from Topic'it App
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Without Warning, an Assessment   Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:57 pm

I'm an Italian pipe person. Pretty much have been from the beginning, though my first four pipes were all traditional British pipes. I do like swirly, marbled lucite, but that is the extent of it. I don't like bands, metal, horn, inlays, and all that nonsense. I have owned a few of these eyesores, but my attention instantly slam into all that crap and make me think, "Next!"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

PostSubject: Re: Without Warning, an Assessment   Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:44 pm

monbla256 wrote:
...I haven't found ANY Artison pipes made by ANYONE that appeal to me! JMHO Twisted Evil

Well, I suppose so if you don't look. The two artisans above, Jesse and Todd, among others here and there, are masters of their craft and quite capable of producing classics that are exquisite in their shapes. And they generally sell for less than, say, a Dunhill. My observation was merely a statement of personal preferences, not a condemnation of alternate aesthetics. I even like seeing divergent shapes and such, as long as they're in others' hands and not residing on my racks screwing everything up. Call me OCD, or anything else that fits.  Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: Without Warning, an Assessment   Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:29 pm

Richard Burley wrote:
monbla256 wrote:
...I haven't found ANY Artison pipes made by ANYONE that appeal to me! JMHO Twisted Evil

Well, I suppose so if you don't look. The two artisans above, Jesse and Todd, among others here and there, are masters of their craft and quite capable of producing classics that are exquisite in their shapes. And they generally sell for less than, say, a Dunhill. My observation was merely a statement of personal preferences, not a condemnation of alternate aesthetics. I even like seeing divergent shapes and such, as long as they're in others' hands and not residing on my racks screwing everything up. Call me OCD, or anything else that fits.  Laughing

As wood sculptures they are beautiful, but for me, their NOT pipes Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sasquatch

PostSubject: Re: Without Warning, an Assessment   Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:34 pm

WHAT isn't a pipe? I think you are confused between freehand and handmade.

Here's a handmade pipe that isn't a freehand. It's more or less a copy of a GBD pot, only the grain is crazy nice. What's not "pipe" about this?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: Without Warning, an Assessment   Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:59 am

[quote="Sasquatch"]WHAT isn't a pipe?  I think you are confused between freehand and handmade.  

Here's a handmade pipe that isn't a freehand.  It's more or less a copy of a GBD pot, only the grain is crazy nice.  What's not "pipe" about this?  

[/quot

THAT's not what I would call an ARTISON pipe. Guibleo d' Oro's are handmade pipes not ARTISON.as most that call themselves  that.  No confussion here . Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Without Warning, an Assessment   Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:21 am

First of all Sasquatch that is an absolutely stunning rendition of a GBD pot, wow just wow! Second I won't involve myself in the artisan vs handmade debate. You can call your self and your products anything you like. As to the OP I completely agree 90% of my pipes are strictly classic British shapes with zero adornments. The other 10% are a mix of handmade/ artisan pipes and clay or meerschaum pipes. I don't have anything against off shapes or adornments but I never seem to buy them. To each their own.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
hobie1dog

Registration date : 2010-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Without Warning, an Assessment   Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:08 pm

Over analysis leads to paralysis
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Without Warning, an Assessment   Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:52 pm

hobie1dog wrote:
Over analysis leads to paralysis

cheers Herseth and Jacobs.... Cool

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fishnbanjo

Registration date : 2013-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Without Warning, an Assessment   Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:10 am

I like everything I own but if I had to live with just 3 makers, Becker, Radice and Ascorti would be my choices.
banjo
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fishnbanjosplace.yuku.com/directory#.UOxnWne3ofw
Sasquatch

PostSubject: Re: Without Warning, an Assessment   Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:50 am

That astonishes me. I've had two Ascortis and hated them both as smokers. Utterly lifeless pipes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Idlefellow

Registration date : 2009-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Without Warning, an Assessment   Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:43 am

Many years ago I was enamored with unusual shapes, "freehands" and the like.  In fact, the more unusual, the better I liked it.   With age that pretty much went away, and so did the pipes.  I still have one or two that were special gifts that just can't be disposed of, but must admit they seldom come out of the rack.  And I still have a few pipes that drift a bit - but not TOO far - from the traditional in terms of shank or bowl shape, etc.  Beyond that, anything other than traditional shapes leave me completely cold.  But I do like oval, square or diamond shanks, and as for stem/shank enhancements, well, a nice Peterson with a sterling band is one of God's gifts to pipe smokers Very Happy .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

PostSubject: Re: Without Warning, an Assessment   Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:05 pm

I'm on the fence with silver bands and whatnot. The fact that I tolerate a great degree of tarnish on them suggests that I'm not too enamored of them. I love good silverwork, but not necessarily on a pipe. It's kind of like tattoos: I've seen some great tattoos, as art. But do I want that embedded permanently on my hide? Nawww, I think not. I do believe I'll try putting all my banded pipes together on a rack--isolate them, in effect-- and see how that sits with what I'm now starting to regard as a neurosis. geek
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Idlefellow

Registration date : 2009-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Without Warning, an Assessment   Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:16 pm

A few diamond shanks, some adorned, some not...

a couple of oval shanks and a couple of square...

so yeah; I'm OK with 'em.  Now, tarnished and chewed stems...well... Embarassed
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Without Warning, an Assessment
Page 1 of 1