HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

One I saved

Go down 
AuthorMessage
fishnbanjo

fishnbanjo

Registration date : 2013-01-11

One I saved Empty
PostSubject: One I saved   One I saved EmptyFri Sep 07, 2018 1:53 pm

Earlier this morning I grabbed a rather scarce model made by Missouri Meerschaum called the Monogram. The Monogram came with a nice ebonite stem which was marked with an M with a white outline.

When I got this pipe it was in sad shape and totally unsmokable. I have restored many pipes in the past and also have customized many but the condition that this pipe was in left me unsure if I could salvage it.

I took my time and some unorthodox methods to repair it but the real satisfaction came when I hade my first smoke in it post restoration.

As you can tell by how Iím dressed weíre in the 60ís today. I enjoyed some of nearly the last pipe full of Mac Baren Dark Twist Roll Cake, keeping it smokey and enjoying every minute of it.
banjo

One I saved 44486233842_4d999f6b60_z_d
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fishnbanjosplace.yuku.com/directory#.UOxnWne3ofw
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

One I saved Empty
PostSubject: Re: One I saved   One I saved EmptyFri Sep 07, 2018 3:03 pm

Well I didn't see a before pic, but that pipes looks brand spankin' new. Well done Mr. Banjo!

Cool

Cheers,

RR

One I saved Purple11x 2One I saved Bombx10One I saved BombOne I saved D6bddf10 One I saved 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.randereed.com
fishnbanjo

fishnbanjo

Registration date : 2013-01-11

One I saved Empty
PostSubject: Re: One I saved   One I saved EmptyFri Sep 07, 2018 3:32 pm

I didnít take a before photo Brewdude, but if you look at the shank you will see a line across the length of it.

The shank was like that in 7 places so it needed to be taken apart then using a toothpick I used Gorilla Glue style super glue to place the pieces back together.

Where the top seam is was where I didnít glue it originally, I took the stem and placed it in the shank, wound it with rubber tape so I would not get any of the Gorilla Glue on it and laid a thin layer into the groove just forward of the rubber tape and placed the male end back into,the bowl. It took a week to fill the void and after that time passed I removed the rubber tape and found the stem fit still where I wanted it to be.

I then placed a Stem with the same o.d. as the original inside the shank after applying a coating of Vaseline which wouldnít allow the glue to adhere to the stem. Again it took 7 days to fill the void and then I attached the brass collar and cleaned the internal portion of the shank and allowed it to dry.

Once satisfied it was dried I knew the glue was cured I then placed a really light coating of the Gorilla Glue over the outside of the shank like varnish at least allowing it to be waterproof, once dried I used Elmerís White Glue to glue the shank back into the bowl and allowed it to dry.

After 1 month I had its first smoke, a lot of work to be sure but in the world of cobs the Monogram is a rare beast, regards.
banjo

Last edited by fishnbanjo on Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fishnbanjosplace.yuku.com/directory#.UOxnWne3ofw
SourMilk

SourMilk

Registration date : 2018-03-01

One I saved Empty
PostSubject: Re: One I saved   One I saved EmptyFri Sep 07, 2018 6:19 pm

I really like that cob, nice restoration job.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
huffelpuff

huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

One I saved Empty
PostSubject: Re: One I saved   One I saved EmptyFri Sep 07, 2018 10:10 pm

A monogram! That is a rare beast indeed! Here I thought I was the only fool that would put heroic effort into restoring a cob. Absolutely beautiful job you did. Enjoy that beauty sir.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online

One I saved
Page 1 of 1