HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

One I saved

Go down 
AuthorMessage
fishnbanjo

Registration date : 2013-01-11

PostSubject: One I saved   Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:53 pm

Earlier this morning I grabbed a rather scarce model made by Missouri Meerschaum called the Monogram. The Monogram came with a nice ebonite stem which was marked with an M with a white outline.

When I got this pipe it was in sad shape and totally unsmokable. I have restored many pipes in the past and also have customized many but the condition that this pipe was in left me unsure if I could salvage it.

I took my time and some unorthodox methods to repair it but the real satisfaction came when I hade my first smoke in it post restoration.

As you can tell by how Iím dressed weíre in the 60ís today. I enjoyed some of nearly the last pipe full of Mac Baren Dark Twist Roll Cake, keeping it smokey and enjoying every minute of it.
banjo

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fishnbanjosplace.yuku.com/directory#.UOxnWne3ofw Online
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: One I saved   Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:03 pm

Well I didn't see a before pic, but that pipes looks brand spankin' new. Well done Mr. Banjo!

Cool

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.randereed.com Online
fishnbanjo

Registration date : 2013-01-11

PostSubject: Re: One I saved   Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:32 pm

I didnít take a before photo Brewdude, but if you look at the shank you will see a line across the length of it.

The shank was like that in 7 places so it needed to be taken apart then using a toothpick I used Gorilla Glue style super glue to place the pieces back together.

Where the top seam is was where I didnít glue it originally, I took the stem and placed it in the shank, wound it with rubber tape so I would not get any of the Gorilla Glue on it and laid a thin layer into the groove just forward of the rubber tape and placed the male end back into,the bowl. It took a week to fill the void and after that time passed I removed the rubber tape and found the stem fit still where I wanted it to be.

I then placed a Stem with the same o.d. as the original inside the shank after applying a coating of Vaseline which wouldnít allow the glue to adhere to the stem. Again it took 7 days to fill the void and then I attached the brass collar and cleaned the internal portion of the shank and allowed it to dry.

Once satisfied it was dried I knew the glue was cured I then placed a really light coating of the Gorilla Glue over the outside of the shank like varnish at least allowing it to be waterproof, once dried I used Elmerís White Glue to glue the shank back into the bowl and allowed it to dry.

After 1 month I had its first smoke, a lot of work to be sure but in the world of cobs the Monogram is a rare beast, regards.
banjo

Last edited by fishnbanjo on Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fishnbanjosplace.yuku.com/directory#.UOxnWne3ofw Online
SourMilk

Registration date : 2018-03-01

PostSubject: Re: One I saved   Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:19 pm

I really like that cob, nice restoration job.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: One I saved   Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:10 pm

A monogram! That is a rare beast indeed! Here I thought I was the only fool that would put heroic effort into restoring a cob. Absolutely beautiful job you did. Enjoy that beauty sir.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile

One I saved
Page 1 of 1