HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Flu shots

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Bub

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Flu shots   Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:13 pm

Do you have yours?
Are you going to get one?
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-met-flu-season-deaths-flu-epidemic-100-years-20181003-story.html
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Flu shots   Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:42 pm

Got mine about 2 weeks ago, and it was the larger dose for seniors. I get one every year.

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.randereed.com
huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Flu shots   Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:10 pm

I'm due for mine and I too get the larger dosage as they lump the imunosupressed in with the elderly. Have gotten the shot every year for the last 21 years.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Flu shots   Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:42 am

Got it. The strong one. Get it every year. REALLY donít want to get the flu.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Flu shots   Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:39 am

Got mine a few weeks ago -- any teacher/professor of any age who doesn't is taking a large risk. There are always sniffling students around!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
D.L.Ruth

Registration date : 2018-10-03

PostSubject: Re: Flu shots   Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:07 am

Yep get mine every year, it's mandatory at my job, along with small pox, anthrax, and all the goodies.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fr_Tom

Registration date : 2013-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Flu shots   Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:13 am

I am feeling bad reporting this, but I have never gotten one. My wife always gets one. In terms of dodging flu-like illness I have a better track record than she does.

It is probably a good thing to do. I don't fear needles or anything. I am a regular blood donor. I just never saw a compelling reason for me to get one.

Perhaps all those years in the classroom built up my immune system?

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/user/14371
Carlos
Admin

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Flu shots   Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:16 am

In 10 days.

The flu last year it seemed to us, to hit healthy young to mature adults. Similar to that of 1918-1920. I lost a great-gandfather to the flu in early 1920. He was 36, married with four children. His sister-in-law who traveled for the funeral, also came down with the flu and died a short time later. She was 20 or early 20's.

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Flu shots   Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:43 am

Fr_Tom wrote:
I am feeling bad reporting this, but I have never gotten one. My wife always gets one. In terms of dodging flu-like illness I have a better track record than she does.

It is probably a good thing to do. I don't fear needles or anything. I am a regular blood donor. I just never saw a compelling reason for me to get one.

Perhaps all those years in the classroom built up my immune system?

Hmmm. My position (a half dozen things to consider):

1. Your immune system, regardless of its great power, is not in and of itself sufficient to disallow getting the flu...if you are sufficiently exposed to the virus.
2. There are new strains every year...each a new and exciting annual disease experience. Each capable of laying you low.
3. Not contracting the disease in the past is not a good predictor of escaping future infection. Itís ALL about your coming into contact with the virus.
4. If every person got vaccinated the virus would have fewer hosts by which to spread further. Thatís how we essentially eradicated polio and smallpox.
5. Saying that youíve never had an annual vaccination but havenít ever gotten the flu...so youíre OK, is a very flawed perspective. Youíre rolling the dice every year. At some point youíll get nailed.
6. 90% of flu related deaths occur in people aged 65 and older. So every year being vaccinated is more and more important.

This is a particularly nasty flu year...the B virus is BAD-BAD. But...since the vaccine is only 25% to 33% effective against B and 66% effective against the A virus...maybe being shot-less is only that much safer? Again, a crap shoot.

Being a friend, I donít want you to be sick...or worse. Good luck amigo.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bub

PostSubject: Re: Flu shots   Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:31 am

Confucius said "Once you had the flu, or anything like the flu, you will always get a flu shot."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Flu shots   Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:41 am

How can one argue with Edward R. Murrow?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Corncobcon

Registration date : 2017-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Flu shots   Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:56 am

I'll get mine this week when I go into town to shop.† No sense to make an extra trip.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bub

PostSubject: Re: Flu shots   Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:53 pm

How can one argue with Edward R. Murrow?

Wise words my son

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fr_Tom

Registration date : 2013-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Flu shots   Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:05 pm

Blackhorse wrote:

Hmmm. My position (a half dozen things to consider):

1. Your immune system, regardless of its great power, is not in and of itself sufficient to disallow getting the flu...if you are sufficiently exposed to the virus. †
2. There are new strains every year...each a new and exciting annual disease experience. †Each capable of laying you low.
3. Not contracting the disease in the past is not a good predictor of escaping future infection. Itís ALL about your coming into contact with the virus.
4. If every person got vaccinated the virus would have fewer hosts by which to spread further. †Thatís how we essentially eradicated polio and smallpox. †
5. Saying that youíve never had an annual vaccination but havenít ever gotten the flu...so youíre OK, is a very flawed perspective. †Youíre rolling the dice every year. At some point youíll get nailed.
6. 90% of flu related deaths occur in people aged 65 and older. †So every year being vaccinated is more and more important.

This is a particularly nasty flu year...the B virus is BAD-BAD. †But...since the vaccine is only 25% to 33% effective against B and 66% effective against the A virus...maybe being shot-less is only that much safer? †Again, a crap shoot.

Being a friend, I donít want you to be sick...or worse. †Good luck amigo.

Thanks! I did say it was probably a good thing to do.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/user/14371
GeoffC

Registration date : 2011-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Flu shots   Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:10 pm

Getting my shot next week. I got the full blown flu and down for a week about 10 years ago and never want to do that again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Davy Jones

Registration date : 2016-04-25

PostSubject: Re: Flu shots   Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:52 pm

Never get them. I had the flu last time in 2014. Before that, 1998. Before that, can't remember...Probably beginning of the 80's.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Flu shots   Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:28 pm

You might be interested in my recent medical adventure. See Tobacco Jar > Amazing Find. The thread had a few med references in it, so I tossed in mine. Probably shouldnít have. Short story ó to flu shot or not to flu shot is up to you, but gents of a certain age should consult their MD BEFORE taking multiple inoculations. as you might have back in the service.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Flu shots   Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:17 pm

KevinM wrote:
You might be interested in my recent medical adventure. †See Tobacco Jar > Amazing Find. †The thread had a few med references in it, so I tossed in mine. Probably shouldnít have. Short story ó to flu shot or not to flu shot is up to you, but gents of a certain age should consult their MD BEFORE taking multiple inoculations. as you might have back in the service.

I had seen your story there. Yup. Multiple doses of different anythingís is something to be VERY careful with.

PS: donít tell the military. I bet they still do the ďcocktailĒ approach to inoculations.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
D.L.Ruth

Registration date : 2018-10-03

PostSubject: Re: Flu shots   Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:28 pm

Blackhorse wrote:

PS: †donít tell the military. †I bet they still do the ďcocktailĒ approach to inoculations.
Nah they are individual but they will continue to give you same shots of they don't update your vaccination records. Can't tell you how many anthrax shots I've had in a month lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hobie1dog

Registration date : 2010-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Flu shots   Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:56 pm

My disease causes the nerves to be destroyed in my arms and legs, leaving the muscles in the condition of a 90 year old.
On the forum for the disease, there was a thread asking what caused yours. 32 people responded, 16 of those all got theirs within 2 weeks of getting a flu shot. The local area rep for the disease got his from it, the guy who sits next to me at the infusion center got his that way. The local guy got his settlement from the National Vaccine Compensation Fund, yes there is so many people that are getting screwed up by vaccines that there is a national compensation fund for it, pouring out millions to people who are permanently ruined by it.

To each his own though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Navyflake

Registration date : 2017-06-01

PostSubject: Re: Flu shots   Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:12 pm

Haven't had a flu shot since 1993. Since then, I've had the flu maybe 5 times.

Prior to that in the Military, the flu vaccine was "pushed" on me for ten years. Every year I received the vaccine, I got ill. Was it the flu? Not as bad. But, I was ill every year for 10 years.

I'll take my chances.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Navyflake
GeoffC

Registration date : 2011-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Flu shots   Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:12 pm

Well this article is timely but to each his own. We live in America and still free do what we want to do . . .

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/flu-shot-myths-wait-cold-weather-vaccine/story?id=58315168
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Flu shots   Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:36 pm

GeoffC wrote:
Well this article is timely but to each his own. † We live in America and still free do what we want to do . . .

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/flu-shot-myths-wait-cold-weather-vaccine/story?id=58315168

The only thing I donít agree with (and itís a shame they never asked me) is grocery stores, drug stores, etc. giving the injections. †Like with every injection thereís always a minute chance of an anaphylactic reaction. If that were to happen Iíd want a real medical staff close by.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
ftrplt

PostSubject: Re: Flu shots   Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:59 pm

Haven't yet, but on sked to do so. Will get the "old" folks dosage, of course!!! cheers FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Flu shots   Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:21 pm

Never had one pushed on me when I was in the RAF but now I'm in the NHS I'm 'encouraged' each year.

Had mine last week. drunken
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Flu shots
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next