HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The most comfortable pipe in the world...$25.

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

The most comfortable pipe in the world...$25. Empty
PostSubject: The most comfortable pipe in the world...$25.   The most comfortable pipe in the world...$25. EmptyFri Oct 05, 2018 12:33 am

Got a new pipe in a few days ago.  I had pretty high expectations for it. These were met and then some.

A Missouri Meerschaum Charles Towne Cobbler Cob.  There’s a mouthful.  Something about it being done in cahoots with Cornell & Diehl. Whatever.  Very, very nicely crafted. Everything straight and tight. The stem is what really makes it. Lucite. The perfect bend to hang effortlessly while puttering.  Lovely draw, nice and open.  Smokes like only a Cob can.  Wonderful.  

You know...if there were only ever cobs to use to make Pipes...no briar or maple or Morta or olivewood, or real meerschaum, etc. we’d actually be just fine, IMHO.

My first smoke was with a bowl full of Straus Sleepy Hollow.  A new blend for me and very highly recommended. Spice (nutmeg) and sweet dark bread aromas.  Pretty wonderful.

Be all that as it may...this Cob is likely the ideal combination of design and materials.  The result is, to my mind, perfection.  I’ve had lots of cobs over the years. My last favorite was the Natural. A great pipe in many regards. This Charles Towne Cobbler surpasses it.

It’s $25 plus shipping. It’s likely the greatest bargain in the entire world.

The most comfortable pipe in the world...$25. C6c18310

The most comfortable pipe in the world...$25. D6bddf10The most comfortable pipe in the world...$25. 29400910The most comfortable pipe in the world...$25. 114e6110The most comfortable pipe in the world...$25. Ddb39b10The most comfortable pipe in the world...$25. Cf77ce10The most comfortable pipe in the world...$25. Dd692012The most comfortable pipe in the world...$25. Cowboy11
Back to top Go down
D.L.Ruth

D.L.Ruth

Registration date : 2018-10-03

PostSubject: Re: The most comfortable pipe in the world...$25.   The most comfortable pipe in the world...$25. EmptyFri Oct 05, 2018 8:37 am

I've only had one cob and that was pretty recent (within the last month). After about the 3rd or so smoke out of it I noticed a nice big Crack along the bowl, was quite dissapointed. Will order another one soon as I'm sure, after everything I read about MM cobs, that mine was a fluke.
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: The most comfortable pipe in the world...$25.   The most comfortable pipe in the world...$25. EmptyFri Oct 05, 2018 9:51 am

What model was it? There are cobs...and then there cobs. I think the ones with heavier sidewalls (usually about $12 or so) might be more resistant to damage.

The most comfortable pipe in the world...$25. D6bddf10The most comfortable pipe in the world...$25. 29400910The most comfortable pipe in the world...$25. 114e6110The most comfortable pipe in the world...$25. Ddb39b10The most comfortable pipe in the world...$25. Cf77ce10The most comfortable pipe in the world...$25. Dd692012The most comfortable pipe in the world...$25. Cowboy11
Back to top Go down
D.L.Ruth

D.L.Ruth

PostSubject: Re: The most comfortable pipe in the world...$25.   The most comfortable pipe in the world...$25. EmptyFri Oct 05, 2018 10:23 am

It was the Missouri Meerschaum Eaton, was only like 2 or 3 dollars so no biggie, will probably get one of their more quality ones in the future
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: The most comfortable pipe in the world...$25.   The most comfortable pipe in the world...$25. EmptyFri Oct 05, 2018 11:19 am

Good plan.

Back to top Go down
Corncobcon

Corncobcon

Registration date : 2017-10-15

PostSubject: Re: The most comfortable pipe in the world...$25.   The most comfortable pipe in the world...$25. EmptyFri Oct 05, 2018 9:21 pm

Yep, that Charles Towne Cobbler is a great pipe.  I agree with you about the stem making the pipe.  It's a great clencher!
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: The most comfortable pipe in the world...$25.   The most comfortable pipe in the world...$25. EmptySat Oct 06, 2018 1:52 am

I like it so much I just ordered a second one.  Who knows...some day I might wake up and discover I have one for each day of the week. Lucky seven.

Someone else here said they had seven of these.  I think it was seven...anyway, a whole passel of ‘em.

Anyway...I also took the opportunity to pick up a couple of blends from The Country Squire. Some “Second Breakfast” and “Old Toby” are on their way. That should add to the fun.

Back to top Go down
huffelpuff

huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: The most comfortable pipe in the world...$25.   The most comfortable pipe in the world...$25. EmptySat Oct 06, 2018 12:54 pm

Great looking cob there BH! Hope those Country Squire blends hit the spot for you.

Jim
Back to top Go down
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: The most comfortable pipe in the world...$25.   The most comfortable pipe in the world...$25. EmptySat Oct 06, 2018 7:36 pm

Lord help me but I think I'm gonna order one of those, and fer sure I don't need another pipe.Yet there's something about it that beguiles me.........

tongue

Cheers,

RR

The most comfortable pipe in the world...$25. Purple11x 2The most comfortable pipe in the world...$25. Bombx10  The most comfortable pipe in the world...$25. Bombx8 The most comfortable pipe in the world...$25. D6bddf10 The most comfortable pipe in the world...$25. 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d The most comfortable pipe in the world...$25. Cowboy13

Site moderator and BoB Bomber's co-commander.
Back to top Go down
http://www.randereed.com
D.L.Ruth

D.L.Ruth

PostSubject: Re: The most comfortable pipe in the world...$25.   The most comfortable pipe in the world...$25. EmptySat Oct 06, 2018 7:41 pm

Brewdude wrote:
fer sure I don't need another pipe

Has that ever actually been true?
Back to top Go down
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: The most comfortable pipe in the world...$25.   The most comfortable pipe in the world...$25. EmptySat Oct 06, 2018 7:45 pm

D.L.Ruth wrote:
Brewdude wrote:
fer sure I don't need another pipe

Has that ever actually been true?

Um...........

Wink

Cheers,

RR

The most comfortable pipe in the world...$25. Purple11x 2The most comfortable pipe in the world...$25. Bombx10  The most comfortable pipe in the world...$25. Bombx8 The most comfortable pipe in the world...$25. D6bddf10 The most comfortable pipe in the world...$25. 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d The most comfortable pipe in the world...$25. Cowboy13

Site moderator and BoB Bomber's co-commander.
Back to top Go down
http://www.randereed.com
ftrplt

ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: The most comfortable pipe in the world...$25.   The most comfortable pipe in the world...$25. EmptySun Oct 07, 2018 5:05 pm

I told ya' in an earlier thread you were gonna' like the "Cobbler!!" I bought two, saving one for later. The thing just smokes great plus the stem & button just sit in my mouth so dang comfortably!!! Welcome to the club!! cheers FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: The most comfortable pipe in the world...$25.   The most comfortable pipe in the world...$25. EmptySun Oct 07, 2018 5:18 pm

ftrplt wrote:
I told ya' in an earlier thread you were gonna' like the "Cobbler!!" I bought two, saving one for later. The thing just smokes great plus the stem & button just sit in my mouth so dang comfortably!!! Welcome to the club!! cheers FTRPLT

Yup. It really is a remarkable stem. And everything else is “right” as well.

Back to top Go down
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: The most comfortable pipe in the world...$25.   The most comfortable pipe in the world...$25. EmptySun Dec 23, 2018 10:15 pm

I bought a Charles Town Cobbler and it’s a remarkable pipe. Most cobs feel very light in the hand. This one has briar-like heft and very nice balance. Haven’t smoked it yet. Just been admiring it.🤗
Back to top Go down
SteveMKentucky

SteveMKentucky

Registration date : 2018-03-23

PostSubject: Out of Stock   The most comfortable pipe in the world...$25. EmptySun Dec 23, 2018 11:32 pm

Hmmm, seems to be out of stock at my usual outlets. Will have to look a little harder.
Back to top Go down
GeoffC

GeoffC

Registration date : 2011-10-23

PostSubject: Re: The most comfortable pipe in the world...$25.   The most comfortable pipe in the world...$25. EmptyMon Dec 24, 2018 7:43 am

Just ordered a cob 2 days ago . . . cannot wait to get it!
Back to top Go down
ftrplt

ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: The most comfortable pipe in the world...$25.   The most comfortable pipe in the world...$25. EmptyMon Dec 24, 2018 11:22 am

Got my Cobblers direct from Missouri Meerschaum! Ftrplt
Back to top Go down
pepesdad1

pepesdad1

Registration date : 2013-03-03

PostSubject: The most comfortable pipe in the world...$25.   The most comfortable pipe in the world...$25. EmptySun Jan 06, 2019 10:17 pm

Wanna spruce them up a bit?  1. First sand the cobs lightly using  320 grit wet/dry sandpaper.

2. Then apply Fiebings saddle tan stain to the cob and shank ( I usually put a pipecleaner through the shank with a bend on the
end to keep it from falling out, and for hanging it up to dry. Make sure you wear gloves.

3. Make sure you apply an even coat to the cob and shank. You may want to stain it twice to make sure you have an even coat.

4. Let it dry for several hours (if tacky, let it dry longer)

5. Apply Dura Clear High Gloss Polyurethane Gloss Varnish.  Usually
2 coats.

6. Let dry for 3-4 hours to make sure it is dry to the touch.
The most comfortable pipe in the world...$25. WtvpHq9l
Back to top Go down
D.L.Ruth

D.L.Ruth

PostSubject: Re: The most comfortable pipe in the world...$25.   The most comfortable pipe in the world...$25. EmptySun Jan 06, 2019 11:03 pm

Sigh...I need to get more cobs Twisted Evil I only have one Sad
Back to top Go down
Simple Man

Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: The most comfortable pipe in the world...$25.   The most comfortable pipe in the world...$25. EmptyMon Jan 07, 2019 8:46 am

D.L.Ruth wrote:
Sigh...I need to get more cobs Twisted Evil I only have one Sad

Me too. Those look excellent though, Pepesdad. I'm definitely going to try it.
Back to top Go down
swhipple

swhipple

Registration date : 2013-05-02

PostSubject: Re: The most comfortable pipe in the world...$25.   The most comfortable pipe in the world...$25. EmptyMon Jan 07, 2019 12:36 pm

Dang Pepesdad those look amazing! Looks like I have another pipe improvement project to work on. Thanks for posting your recipe!
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: The most comfortable pipe in the world...$25.   The most comfortable pipe in the world...$25. EmptyMon Jan 07, 2019 12:41 pm

They ARE beautiful. They also offer an alternative to what some folks seek in a Cob...the breathability of the Cob material. Some guys like that, some don’t, some don’t have a clue. MM does offer a few “naked” cobs here and there. Another option is always good.

And as long as I’m dipping into my cache of Febings bottles...I think green would be a great color. Why? I like green. It’s just that simple. Laughing

Back to top Go down
pepesdad1

pepesdad1

PostSubject: The most comfortable pipe in the world...$25.   The most comfortable pipe in the world...$25. EmptyMon Jan 07, 2019 2:25 pm

Green would be fabulous!!! The varnish doesn't seem to affect the breath ability of the cob...at leaset it doesn't seem to...I could be wrong.
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: The most comfortable pipe in the world...$25.   The most comfortable pipe in the world...$25. EmptyMon Jan 07, 2019 4:58 pm

pepesdad1 wrote:
Green would be fabulous!!!  The varnish doesn't seem to affect the breath ability of the cob...at leaset it doesn't seem to...I could be wrong.

Well, polyurethane is essentially plastic. So you’re spray coating the bowls with high gloss plastic. Seems like that would be detrimental to respiration...etc.

Back to top Go down
pepesdad1

pepesdad1

PostSubject: The most comfortable pipe in the world...$25.   The most comfortable pipe in the world...$25. EmptyMon Jan 07, 2019 7:05 pm

I know you are right...still doesn't seem to affect the breathing of the pipe...maybe I'm too dense to notice, but I've been giving them a workout, with no deleterious effects so far.
The dura coat is applied with a brush...which should make it even worse than spray painting..what do I know?
Back to top Go down

The most comfortable pipe in the world...$25.
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: fishnbanjo & Friends Pipe Rack-
Jump to: