HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 
 

 First pipe weed order in almost a decade.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
eggman
Cornholio
avatar

Age : 47
Location : West Tennessee
Registration date : 2007-12-22

PostSubject: First pipe weed order in almost a decade.   Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:43 pm

I received a little box yesterday from smoking pipes with a few tins and some bulk. I purchased 4ozs of star of the east bulk. I had forgotten how great this stuff is. I got a tin of Mac Baren The Solent Mixture, Mac Baren Cherry Ambrosia and Three Nuns.

I had a couple tins of the original 3nuns and loved it. So I’m going to give it a try. For some reason I haven’t been a aromatic fan in a very long time but I want to try a cherry blend.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
D.L.Ruth

avatar

Age : 37
Location : Cicero, NY
Registration date : 2018-10-03

PostSubject: Re: First pipe weed order in almost a decade.   Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:50 pm

It's always good when orders come in, i get excited watching the tracking. I have never tried any of those blends, hope you enjoy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Davy Jones

avatar

Registration date : 2016-04-25

PostSubject: Re: First pipe weed order in almost a decade.   Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:11 pm

@eggman: you're aware the current version on Three Nuns has Kentucky instead of Perique? But the new Three Nuns Green has Perique and Kentucky.
I heard that the closest thing to the Tree Nuns with Perique is Savinelli Doblone d'Oro.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
huffelpuff

avatar

Age : 48
Location : Laramie, WY
Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: First pipe weed order in almost a decade.   Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:13 am

Congratulations Eggman I don't think I could go that long without an order of some sort lol.

Hope you really enjoy them

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eggman
Cornholio
avatar

Age : 47
Location : West Tennessee
Registration date : 2007-12-22

PostSubject: Re: First pipe weed order in almost a decade.   Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:30 am

Davy Jones wrote:
@eggman: you're aware the current version on Three Nuns has Kentucky instead of Perique? But the new Three Nuns Green has Perique and Kentucky.
I heard that the closest thing to the Tree Nuns with Perique is Savinelli Doblone d'Oro.

@Davy Jones yes I found that out after I already orderd it. But this mixture sounds interesting. I am already planning on ordering some of that next go around. If hindsight was 20/20 I’d have stocked up on 3 nuns and 965 15 years ago.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Davy Jones

avatar

Registration date : 2016-04-25

PostSubject: Re: First pipe weed order in almost a decade.   Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:37 am

eggman wrote:
Davy Jones wrote:
@eggman: you're aware the current version on Three Nuns has Kentucky instead of Perique? But the new Three Nuns Green has Perique and Kentucky.
I heard that the closest thing to the Tree Nuns with Perique is Savinelli Doblone d'Oro.

@Davy Jones yes I found that out after I already orderd it. But this mixture sounds interesting. I am already planning on ordering some of that next go around. If hindsight was 20/20 I’d have stocked up on 3 nuns and 965 15 years ago.

Me too. And Capstan, St Bruno, Royal Yacht, Erinmore Flake, University Flake. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eggman
Cornholio
avatar

Age : 47
Location : West Tennessee
Registration date : 2007-12-22

PostSubject: Re: First pipe weed order in almost a decade.   Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:08 am

Davy Jones wrote:
eggman wrote:
Davy Jones wrote:
@eggman: you're aware the current version on Three Nuns has Kentucky instead of Perique? But the new Three Nuns Green has Perique and Kentucky.
I heard that the closest thing to the Tree Nuns with Perique is Savinelli Doblone d'Oro.

@Davy Jones yes I found that out after I already orderd it. But this mixture sounds interesting. I am already planning on ordering some of that next go around. If hindsight was 20/20 I’d have stocked up on 3 nuns and 965 15 years ago.

Me too. And Capstan, St Bruno, Royal Yacht, Erinmore Flake, University Flake. Wink

I never got to sample Royal Yacht and Erinmore. I’ve always heard they were love em or hate em blends. They both had cult like following.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Blackhorse
Moderator
avatar

Age : 70
Location : Portland, Oregon Area
Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: First pipe weed order in almost a decade.   Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:23 am

Great selection. The Solent is a real “under the radar” blend. Good stuff for sure but mostly overlooked. Let us know what you think of it.

_________________
Council Member, Trading Post & General Site Moderator.
Founding BoB Bombers Squadron Commander, Ret



ETC., ETC., ETC.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Davy Jones

avatar

Registration date : 2016-04-25

PostSubject: Re: First pipe weed order in almost a decade.   Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:48 pm

eggman wrote:
Davy Jones wrote:
eggman wrote:
Davy Jones wrote:
@eggman: you're aware the current version on Three Nuns has Kentucky instead of Perique? But the new Three Nuns Green has Perique and Kentucky.
I heard that the closest thing to the Tree Nuns with Perique is Savinelli Doblone d'Oro.

@Davy Jones yes I found that out after I already orderd it. But this mixture sounds interesting. I am already planning on ordering some of that next go around. If hindsight was 20/20 I’d have stocked up on 3 nuns and 965 15 years ago.

Me too. And Capstan, St Bruno, Royal Yacht, Erinmore Flake, University Flake. Wink

I never got to sample Royal Yacht and Erinmore. I’ve always heard they were love em or hate em blends. They both had cult like following.

Yes, they are, especially the Erinmore Flake.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Davy Jones

avatar

Registration date : 2016-04-25

PostSubject: Re: First pipe weed order in almost a decade.   Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:49 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
Great selection.  The Solent is a real “under the radar” blend. Good stuff for sure but mostly overlooked. Let us know what you think of it.

I concur with your opinion, BH. I have about 5 or 6 tins on hand and it's a surprisingly good blend. It is more complex than Plumcake, the rum casing is elegant, you can actually taste the Latakia even though it's in small proportion and the burleys are really good, giving the blend just enough backbone. I enjoy it a lot every time I open a tin.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eggman
Cornholio
avatar

Age : 47
Location : West Tennessee
Registration date : 2007-12-22

PostSubject: Re: First pipe weed order in almost a decade.   Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:19 pm

Thanks guys. The reviews on it were mostly good. I couldn’t figure out though why it was over 18.00 a tin when most other Mac Barens tins were around 11 a tin
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Davy Jones

avatar

Registration date : 2016-04-25

PostSubject: Re: First pipe weed order in almost a decade.   Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:47 am

eggman wrote:
Thanks guys. The reviews on it were mostly good. I couldn’t figure out though why it was over 18.00 a tin when most other Mac Barens tins were around 11 a tin

They've always had different categories of prices depending on the tobacco: Scottish Mixture, Plumcake, Black Ambrosia, Virginia no 1, etc, being around $9; and Roll Cake, The Solent Mixture, Dark Twist, and the HH series being around $13 (all for 100g format, of course). There was a significant increase, literally overnight, about 3 or 4 years ago, fairly brutal, and an adjustment was made about 18 months ago.
An increase was certainly warranted as their tobaccos were really inexpensive for the great quality but it was not progressive at all, which hurt their sales for a while. Now, it's much better.

And when the retailers throw a 15% discount on them it's very close to the good ol' prices. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
 
First pipe weed order in almost a decade.
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Transfer Ownership in order to change domain name?
» China's brutally pragmatic response to a shifting world order
» White House Press Release: Obama renews Executive Order 13303 for 1 year
» THE GREAT WAR MEDAL COLLECTORS COMPANION
» Hose Pipe Bans

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: PAD & TAD-
Jump to: