HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

those sublime bowls

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Zeno Marx

Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

those sublime bowls Empty
PostSubject: those sublime bowls   those sublime bowls EmptyFri Nov 02, 2018 6:19 pm

The title could very well have been "those elusive, sublime bowls". I wouldn't smoke a pipe if I didn't enjoy it so much. To give my situation some context, I smoke 3-5 bowls a week, and I'm always on walks and out in nature when I do so. It's a preference.

The question is: how often do you experience those truly sublime bowls? The type of pipe that you're thinking about for days afterwards. The type of pipe that incites you to explain the joys of pipe smoking to everyone, including those who couldn't care less. You might not do it, but you contemplate it over and over again because the enthusiasm won't leave your memory.

I have this top shelf level of experience 3-4 times a year. They're rare. They're unexpected. They can't be planned. I had one of these special bowls the other day, and nothing about it could have prepared me. Same circumstances as always. Even a tobacco that I had previously thought was nothing more than okay, and because of that, I seldom reach for it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zanaspus

Zanaspus

Registration date : 2009-12-27

PostSubject: Re: those sublime bowls   those sublime bowls EmptyFri Nov 02, 2018 7:08 pm

I know exactly of what you speak. I smoke 4-8 bowls a day. If I'm lucky, I get one perhaps every fortnight.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simple Man

Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: those sublime bowls   those sublime bowls EmptyFri Nov 02, 2018 7:18 pm

Very rarely indeed. When they happen you wonder what you did differently that made it so perfect, but alas, they never can be replicated. You just enjoy them when they happen. It seems all worthwhile pursuits share that same experience. I once hit an impossible shot from a fairway to within inches from the hole. It made me feel like a PGA pro that day. Try as I might, I could not ever hit another ball so perfectly... until one day without thought it just happens. Blissful serendipity!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zeno Marx

Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: those sublime bowls   those sublime bowls EmptyFri Nov 02, 2018 8:31 pm

Zanaspus wrote:
I know exactly of what you speak. I smoke 4-8 bowls a day. If I'm lucky, I get one perhaps every fortnight.
That's often, if you ask me. Good on you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jevverrett

Jevverrett

Registration date : 2014-12-13

PostSubject: Re: those sublime bowls   those sublime bowls EmptyFri Nov 02, 2018 8:52 pm

Happened to me on Monday, I keep a spare cob in the glovebox of my work truck. I packed it one handed and blind while driving down a backroad. Light it with a cigar lighter, bc it was the first I found in my lunchbox. One tamp, perfect smoke. Completely flabbergasted, I smoked it again on Tuesday. Same method, and it was awful. Go figure.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Corncobcon

Corncobcon

Registration date : 2017-10-15

PostSubject: Re: those sublime bowls   those sublime bowls EmptyFri Nov 02, 2018 8:59 pm

I don't know if it has to do with the pipe and tobacco being smoked as much as what the situation is. Today, after 2 days of rain, the weather cleared up and the sun came out. It was about 6pm and I decided to take the dog for a walk and smoke. I chose my Gianni Calabash pipe and some Carter Hall. As we walked along the road, the air smelled clean a crisp. The only sounds were the tweeting of the birds and the raspy noise of an aggravated squirrel. I then realized that my pipe tobacco tasted exceptionally good. It must have been one of those sublime moments!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: those sublime bowls   those sublime bowls EmptyFri Nov 02, 2018 9:10 pm

Serendipity. Happens every so often. Never really know why!

Exclamation

Cheers,

RR

those sublime bowls Purple11x 2those sublime bowls Bombx10  those sublime bowls Bombx3those sublime bowls D6bddf10 those sublime bowls 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.randereed.com
Zanaspus

Zanaspus

Registration date : 2009-12-27

PostSubject: Re: those sublime bowls   those sublime bowls EmptySat Nov 03, 2018 9:23 am

Zeno Marx wrote:
Zanaspus wrote:
That's often, if you ask me.  Good on you.

When I smoked less I used to think it was time-gated. Now I think it's bowl-gated, i.e. it happens once in every so many bowls rather than every so many days. I could be completely off base, but that's been my experience.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: those sublime bowls   those sublime bowls EmptySat Nov 03, 2018 7:55 pm

You can’t step in the same river twice. Or something like that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Natch

Natch

Registration date : 2007-12-21

PostSubject: Re: those sublime bowls   those sublime bowls EmptyMon Nov 05, 2018 6:01 pm

Well said. I've had a few sublime bowls in my life, and I believe it has more to do with the mood I'm in and where I'm at, more than the pipe or tobacco. The ones that come to mind almost always involve being solo in the woods (canoe or pack) and a beautiful view (sunset, clouds, full moon).

Natch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: those sublime bowls   those sublime bowls EmptyMon Nov 05, 2018 10:48 pm

Natch wrote:
Well said.  I've had a few sublime bowls in my life, and I believe it has more to do with the mood I'm in and where I'm at, more than the pipe or tobacco.  The ones that come to mind almost always involve being solo in the woods (canoe or pack) and a beautiful view (sunset, clouds, full moon).  

Natch

Indeed!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fumus

Fumus

Registration date : 2014-11-24

PostSubject: Re: those sublime bowls   those sublime bowls EmptyMon Nov 05, 2018 10:57 pm

"Well said. I've had a few sublime bowls in my life, and I believe it has more to do with the mood I'm in and where I'm at, more than the pipe or tobacco. The ones that come to mind almost always involve being solo in the woods (canoe or pack) and a beautiful view (sunset, clouds, full moon). "

Yup afro
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fr_Tom

Fr_Tom

Registration date : 2013-05-29

PostSubject: Re: those sublime bowls   those sublime bowls EmptyTue Nov 06, 2018 11:34 am

I will have a bowl every day or two that will be so astonishingly good, it almost takes your breath away. Every now and then I will have more than one bowl like this in the same day, but that is very unusual. My joke is that is the Surgeon General could have this experience, he would recommend pipe smoking just to improve the quality of life.

I umm... am a heavier smoker than some on the forum.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/user/14371 Online

those sublime bowls
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: