HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

What Are You Reading?

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

What Are You Reading? - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 5 EmptySun Dec 23, 2018 7:33 pm

What Are You Reading? - Page 5 612vczjNcHL._AC_US218_

Fascinating and gripping read. Dunno know how historically accurate it is but it certainly held my interest.

Cheers,

RR

What Are You Reading? - Page 5 Purple11x 2What Are You Reading? - Page 5 Bombx10  What Are You Reading? - Page 5 Bombx5What Are You Reading? - Page 5 D6bddf10 What Are You Reading? - Page 5 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.randereed.com
eggman
Cornholio
eggman

Registration date : 2007-12-22

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 24, 2018 2:04 am

The obituaries to make sure I’m not in them
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simple Man

Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 5 EmptyWed Dec 26, 2018 11:21 am

The Good Neighbor: The Life and Work of Fred Rogers by Maxwell King

What Are You Reading? - Page 5 Fr10
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GeoffC

GeoffC

Registration date : 2011-10-23

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 5 EmptyFri Jan 04, 2019 10:25 pm

Found it on sale on Amazon from my BookBub newsletter - The Last Sword Maker by Brian Nelson.

In the high mountains of Tibet, rumors are spreading. People whisper of an outbreak, of thousands of dead, of bodies pushed into mass graves. It is some strange new disease … a disease, they say, that can kill in minutes.

The Chinese government says the rumors aren’t true, but no one is allowed in or out of Tibet.

At the Pentagon, Admiral James Curtiss is called to an emergency meeting. Satellite images prove that a massive genocide is underway, and an American spy has made a startling discovery. This is no disease. It’s a weapons test. Chinese scientists have developed a way to kill based on a person’s genetic traits. But that is only the tip of the iceberg. The success of their new weapon proves that the Chinese are nearing “Replication”—a revolutionary breakthrough that will tip the global balance of power and change the way wars are waged.

Now the US must scramble to catch up before it is too late. Admiral Curtiss gathers the nation’s top scientists, including a promising young graduate student named Eric Hill who just might hold the missing piece to the replication puzzle. Soon Hill and his colleague Jane Hunter are caught up in a deadly game of sabotage as the two nations strive to be the first to reach the coveted goal. But in their headlong race, they create something unexpected … something the world has never seen and something more powerful than they had ever imagined.

The Last Sword Maker is an exciting globe-trotting thriller with unforgettable characters that depicts a haunting vision of the future of warfare.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 06, 2019 12:58 pm

Brewdude wrote:
What Are You Reading? - Page 5 516jj8i8TsL._AC_US218_

Just finished reading this. It's an unauthorized bio of Stevie Nicks and her ascendancy to the the fairy godmother of R&R through Buckingham/Nicks in the pre-Fleetwood Mac Days through her solo career and up to the present.

She has embarked on a fresh Fleetwood Mac tour which will bring her to Phoenix this coming week and has all the original band members save for Lindsay Buckingham. I'm strongly considering attending as the "Mac" was one of my favorite mid-70's pop rock bands.

Apparently Stevie is pushing 70 and this may be one of the last chances anyone will get of seeing her and the band performing the old tunes that are much loved by many, including myself!

This book makes fascinating reading for a fan like me.

Cheers,

RR

I just love Fleetwood Mac, Rande. It resonates with my soul. Really takes me back to good times of being on Dartmoor, college, and my late teenage / early 20s.

So, awful question to ask Rande... what's your fave 'Mac track?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Stick

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 06, 2019 1:01 pm

My good lady bought me 'Mad, bad and dangerous to know' by Ranulph Fiennes. I've always admired this chap for his derring-do, adventures and interesting military background. Ever thoughtful, my good lady also tucked 2 tickets into the book to see him present at our local theatre in September '19. I'm a lucky boy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 06, 2019 2:37 pm

Stick wrote:
Brewdude wrote:

Just finished reading this. It's an unauthorized bio of Stevie Nicks and her ascendancy to the the fairy godmother of R&R through Buckingham/Nicks in the pre-Fleetwood Mac Days through her solo career and up to the present.

She has embarked on a fresh Fleetwood Mac tour which will bring her to Phoenix this coming week and has all the original band members save for Lindsay Buckingham. I'm strongly considering attending as the "Mac" was one of my favorite mid-70's pop rock bands.

Apparently Stevie is pushing 70 and this may be one of the last chances anyone will get of seeing her and the band performing the old tunes that are much loved by many, including myself!

Cheers,

RR

I just love Fleetwood Mac, Rande.  It resonates with my soul.  Really takes me back to good times of being on Dartmoor, college, and my late teenage / early 20s.

Hard to say mate as there are so many. I'd rate "Gold Dust Woman" and "Rhiannon" right up there.

Cheers,

RR

What Are You Reading? - Page 5 Purple11x 2What Are You Reading? - Page 5 Bombx10  What Are You Reading? - Page 5 Bombx5What Are You Reading? - Page 5 D6bddf10 What Are You Reading? - Page 5 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d
Back to top Go down
Brewdude
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 5 EmptyThu Jan 10, 2019 7:25 pm

What Are You Reading? - Page 5 51UnU8t0bFL._AC_US218_

This bio is unique.

While it was OK'd by Sir Paul in a tacit way, it doesn't contain any direct interviews from him. The author had verbal license to interview all and sundry involved in his career. Some of it is very gritty and hard to read, particularly the rather acrimonious dissolution of his marriage to model Heather Mills.

The author admits his personal relationship with Sir Paul goes back to the Beatles glory years when they had a falling out over his journalism. And he's clearly managed to drag up all the dirt....

Still, this account is quite interesting and worth reading if you don't mind reading some uncomfortable copy!

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
Stick

Stick

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 5 EmptyTue Jan 15, 2019 5:48 pm

Brewdude wrote:
Stick wrote:
Brewdude wrote:

Cheers,

RR

I just love Fleetwood Mac, Rande.  It resonates with my soul.  Really takes me back to good times of being on Dartmoor, college, and my late teenage / early 20s.

Hard to say mate as there are so many. I'd rate "Gold Dust Woman" and "Rhiannon" right up there.

Cheers,

RR

Nice choices, Rande. I'm sat in my kitchen streaming some 'mac and it took me back to these few posts. I'd offer Dreams, Sarah, Everywhere, Tusk... cripes there really is so many. Thinking about it now, naming a few may be a discredit to the many others.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 20, 2019 5:23 pm

What Are You Reading? - Page 5 Images10

Not deep literature or anything, but great escape reading. cheers

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 5 EmptyMon Jan 28, 2019 7:30 pm

What Are You Reading? - Page 5 41FRMHSozpL._AC_US218_

If this isn't the quintessential bio of the mop tops I sure don't know what it would be!

Having just read several other accounts of the fab four, the author here has put together an exposé that pulls no punches and tells it like it is. All the highs and lows, the rise to fame and the sordid details behind the scenes, all the dirt and the dirty laundry.........it's all here and may be a bit shocking if one were comfortable in the old image of the boys as four lovable melody makers who were a bit cheeky at times but cuddly nonetheless.

Approach at your own risk! Oh, and highly recommended..............

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
Brewdude
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 5 EmptyMon Feb 04, 2019 8:01 am

What Are You Reading? - Page 5 41x3XTkvrQL._AC_US218_

My old mate Ian from Blighty gifted me this book for Christmas. It's a story based on a true event that occurred in the late 1700's around where Ian lives in Halifax and is all about a gang of Coiners that were notorious throughout the kingdom.

If you're not familiar with that, Coiners are those who would cut bits off the coins, smelt them and mold into a counterfeit coin. Back then, the official coins in circulation were not perfectly round like ours are so little pieces could be removed without much notice.

There was a large gang of Coiners who had been practicing this illegal craft which attracted the attention of the authorities who then tracked them down and pretty much put a stop to it.

I found the book gripping and interesting, including and especially all the olde English terms and colloquialisms.  

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
Brewdude
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 5 EmptyWed Feb 13, 2019 10:59 am

Just finished two great Beatles books-

What Are You Reading? - Page 5 51myb0M730L._AC_US218_

This goes into detail about what instruments the fab four used. Many great pics and very interesting for musicians like myself.

What Are You Reading? - Page 5 41ZcIonmrNL._AC_US218_

And this is a comprehensive account of all the tunes they ever recorded. Contributing musicians, recording details, gear, etc.

Both are large coffee table sized books and loads of pics. If you're a musician or just plain interested in the back stories these are for you.

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
Penguin

Penguin

Registration date : 2019-02-11

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 5 EmptyWed Feb 13, 2019 11:02 am

I finished "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes" a few days ago, and I'm now several stories into the memoirs. I tend to read through the short story collections once a year, though I haven't read the novels in several years. Doyle was, in my opinion, a better short story teller than he was a novelist.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JimInks

JimInks

Registration date : 2012-08-31

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 5 EmptyWed Feb 13, 2019 10:31 pm

I've been reading Bing Crosby: Swinging on a Star The War Years: 1940-1946 by Gary Giddins. If you have any interest in Bing, you should get this book and Giddins' first volume on Bing, which covers his life from 1903-1940. Very detailed and Giddins shows how Bing influenced and was influenced by the culture of his times.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JimInks

JimInks

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 5 EmptyThu Feb 14, 2019 4:33 am

I finished the Bing book. Now, I'm about to start reading The Jack Kirby Collector issue 75. This book length magazine deals with what Jack Kirby and Stan Lee had to say in chronological order about the creations and creative processes that went into forming the Marvel Universe. A few portions of my artist biographies are included in the book.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 5 EmptyThu Feb 14, 2019 7:13 pm

What Are You Reading? - Page 5 61OJbnLaSSL._AC_US218_

Have the DVD. Always wanted to read the book to get the back story and details. And here it is.

One of the creepiest stories ever.

silent

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
JimInks

JimInks

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 5 EmptySun Feb 17, 2019 1:55 pm

This interview with Gary Giddins about his new book on Bing Crosby greatly highlights how important Bing was in his time, and there's lots of important, interesting info here overall.

https://jerryjazzmusician.com/2018/10/interview-with-bing-crosby-biographer-gary-giddins/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 5 EmptyThu Feb 28, 2019 11:28 am

Been on an ancient history kick lately-

What Are You Reading? - Page 5 91Akyif22XL._AC_UL436_

What Are You Reading? - Page 5 81rwLy+jgRL._AC_UL436_

Interesting enough but not really my thing.

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
DrT999

DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 5 EmptyThu Feb 28, 2019 11:41 am

Brewdude wrote:

Cheers,

RR

RE: Gibbon's 'Decline & Fall"; I hope you make it through all 6 volumes (or 3 in some editions), I spent a semester in grad school in a class that did just that. Some of the later volumes were a tough slog, but the action picked up by the 1400s. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
Brewdude
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 5 EmptySat Mar 02, 2019 7:51 pm

DrT999 wrote:
Brewdude wrote:

Cheers,

RR

RE: Gibbon's 'Decline & Fall"; I hope you make it through all 6 volumes (or 3 in some editions), I spent a semester in grad school in a class that did just that.  Some of the later volumes were a tough slog, but the action picked up by the 1400s. Very Happy

Actually I found it pretty hard going and ponderous. Not having the education background to this made it difficult for me, and I started skimming before eventually giving it up altogether. Guess it's not for the likes of me!

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
DrT999

DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 5 EmptySat Mar 02, 2019 8:08 pm

Brewdude wrote:
DrT999 wrote:
Brewdude wrote:

Cheers,

RR

RE: Gibbon's 'Decline & Fall"; I hope you make it through all 6 volumes (or 3 in some editions), I spent a semester in grad school in a class that did just that.  Some of the later volumes were a tough slog, but the action picked up by the 1400s. Very Happy

Actually I found it pretty hard going and ponderous. Not having the education background to this made it difficult for me, and I started skimming before eventually giving it up altogether. Guess it's not for the likes of me!

Cheers,

RR

Yeah, most people who tackle it stop 20-30% of the way through. Most 'condensed' versions are mostly just the first 20%
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
Brewdude
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 5 EmptySun Mar 03, 2019 8:02 pm

What Are You Reading? - Page 5 51Ur83cj4mL._AC_UL436_

A strange book. A very strange book. Not what I expected. At all....

What did I expect? Hard to say as i hadn't read the reviews on this. Perhaps I thought it was a look into the mind of the character in Silence of the Lambs prior to that. And maybe it was.

In any case it was weird and not what I expected.

I now see there are several more in the series. I'll give them a miss........

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
riff raff

riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 5 EmptySun Mar 03, 2019 9:53 pm

Brew, I assume you have already read Red Dragon?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: What Are You Reading?   What Are You Reading? - Page 5 EmptyMon Mar 04, 2019 7:22 am

riff raff wrote:
Brew, I assume you have already read Red Dragon?

No, but I'll look into it.

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down

What Are You Reading?
Page 5 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next