HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Pipes & Tobacco Magazine To End.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
JimInks

JimInks

Registration date : 2012-08-31

Pipes & Tobacco Magazine To End. Empty
PostSubject: Pipes & Tobacco Magazine To End.   Pipes & Tobacco Magazine To End. EmptyFri Feb 01, 2019 7:40 pm

I just spoke with Cliff Nelson, the editor of P&T, and he told me that the Spring issue will be the final issue. Very sad news.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GeoffC

GeoffC

Registration date : 2011-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Pipes & Tobacco Magazine To End.   Pipes & Tobacco Magazine To End. EmptyFri Feb 01, 2019 8:06 pm

Now that just plain sucks . . .

State, Federal and FDA attacks on smoking now this? Why do I feel we will be growing our own tobacco and processing for pipes but in a few years you will be able to pick up Mary Jane at the local 7/11?
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Pipes & Tobacco Magazine To End.   Pipes & Tobacco Magazine To End. EmptyFri Feb 01, 2019 8:48 pm

That is very sad news indeed!

No Cheers,

RR

Pipes & Tobacco Magazine To End. Purple11x 2Pipes & Tobacco Magazine To End. Bombx10Pipes & Tobacco Magazine To End. BombPipes & Tobacco Magazine To End. D6bddf10 Pipes & Tobacco Magazine To End. 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d

Last edited by Brewdude on Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.randereed.com
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Pipes & Tobacco Magazine To End.   Pipes & Tobacco Magazine To End. EmptyFri Feb 01, 2019 9:17 pm

Yup.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ontariopiper

ontariopiper

Registration date : 2015-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Pipes & Tobacco Magazine To End.   Pipes & Tobacco Magazine To End. EmptySat Feb 02, 2019 1:58 pm

Sad but perhaps not so surprising.

Pipe smokers make up about 1/2 of one percent of smokers in Canada, and only slightly more in the USA. It's a tiny tiny market, capable of supporting fewer and fewer players. I can guess that the market will continue to shrink thanks to increasingly stringent regulation and the general trend away from tobacco use in general.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dadspipes.com
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: Pipes & Tobacco Magazine To End.   Pipes & Tobacco Magazine To End. EmptySat Feb 02, 2019 6:34 pm

ontariopiper wrote:
Sad but perhaps not so surprising.

Pipe smokers make up about 1/2 of one percent of smokers in Canada, and only slightly more in the USA. It's a tiny tiny market, capable of supporting fewer and fewer players. I can guess that the market will continue to shrink thanks to increasingly stringent regulation and the general trend away from tobacco use in general.

Yup.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GeoffC

GeoffC

PostSubject: Re: Pipes & Tobacco Magazine To End.   Pipes & Tobacco Magazine To End. EmptyFri Feb 08, 2019 11:09 pm

Jim, what will happen to TobaccoReviews.com ?
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
JimInks

JimInks

PostSubject: Re: Pipes & Tobacco Magazine To End.   Pipes & Tobacco Magazine To End. EmptySat Feb 09, 2019 10:05 pm

GeoffC wrote:

Nobody knows yet.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Pipes & Tobacco Magazine To End.   Pipes & Tobacco Magazine To End. EmptySat Feb 09, 2019 10:19 pm

Guess I shouldn't have renewed for 2 years last fall Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: Pipes & Tobacco Magazine To End.   Pipes & Tobacco Magazine To End. EmptySat Feb 09, 2019 11:23 pm

JimInks wrote:
GeoffC wrote:

Nobody knows yet.

It would be sad to lose such a resource. Sigh.

Maybe the sky really is falling.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GeoffC

GeoffC

PostSubject: Re: Pipes & Tobacco Magazine To End.   Pipes & Tobacco Magazine To End. EmptySun Feb 10, 2019 11:07 am

May have to archive the site, or at least Jim's reviews Wink

Edit: https://web.archive.org/web/20190114131851/http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/browse
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
History Prof 1861

History Prof 1861

Registration date : 2016-10-16

PostSubject: Re: Pipes & Tobacco Magazine To End.   Pipes & Tobacco Magazine To End. EmptySun Feb 10, 2019 5:56 pm

Wow thatís sad news indeed
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Pipes & Tobacco Magazine To End.   Pipes & Tobacco Magazine To End. EmptySun Feb 10, 2019 7:27 pm

Isn't the review site related to the pipesmagazine forum? If so it seems unlikely that it will shut down as the forum seems to be healthy enough.

Cheers,

RR

Pipes & Tobacco Magazine To End. Purple11x 2Pipes & Tobacco Magazine To End. Bombx10Pipes & Tobacco Magazine To End. BombPipes & Tobacco Magazine To End. D6bddf10 Pipes & Tobacco Magazine To End. 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d
Back to top Go down
DrT999

DrT999

PostSubject: Re: Pipes & Tobacco Magazine To End.   Pipes & Tobacco Magazine To End. EmptySun Feb 10, 2019 8:05 pm

Brewdude wrote:
Isn't the review site related to the pipesmagazine forum? If so it seems unlikely that it will shut down as the forum seems to be healthy enough.

Hopefully the ads on both generate enough $ to keep them interested when they aren't connected to an active magazine.
Back to top Go down
JimInks

JimInks

PostSubject: Re: Pipes & Tobacco Magazine To End.   Pipes & Tobacco Magazine To End. EmptyMon Feb 11, 2019 10:49 pm

DrT999 wrote:
Brewdude wrote:

Hopefully the ads on both generate enough $ to keep them interested when they aren't connected to an active magazine.

You never know what a new owner will do. I've seen new owners of something profitable close it down because they had no interest in it. I'm not certain the new owners care about TR. I could be wrong about that, though.

Btw, I heard that people who have subscriptions to P&T will get refunds on unfilled subs when the time comes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

DrT999

PostSubject: Re: Pipes & Tobacco Magazine To End.   Pipes & Tobacco Magazine To End. EmptyMon Feb 11, 2019 10:59 pm

JimInks wrote:
DrT999 wrote:
Brewdude wrote:

You never know what a new owner will do. I've seen new owners of something profitable close it down because they had no interest in it. I'm not certain the new owners care about TR. I could be wrong about that, though.

Btw, I heard that people who have subscriptions to P&T will get refunds on unfilled subs when the time comes.

Nope, one never knows what will happen. & thanks for the info on the subscriptions
Back to top Go down
Lee Pattison

Registration date : 2019-02-07

PostSubject: Pipe collecting   Pipes & Tobacco Magazine To End. EmptyThu Feb 14, 2019 9:29 am

Reference Fisher pipes on old post. Spent many hours with Art Fisher at his home/shop, plus early family info in the pipe trade.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lee Pattison

PostSubject: Re: Pipes & Tobacco Magazine To End.   Pipes & Tobacco Magazine To End. EmptyThu Feb 14, 2019 12:33 pm

Not all gloom mates eBay trade would indicate we may have multiplied under deep cover!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ontariopiper

ontariopiper

Registration date : 2015-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Pipes & Tobacco Magazine To End.   Pipes & Tobacco Magazine To End. EmptyThu Feb 14, 2019 5:02 pm

Lee Pattison wrote:
† Not all gloom mates eBay trade would indicate we may have multiplied under deep cover!

There certainly seems to be more buying and selling of estate pipes on the ole' Fleabay, and more people interested in learning to refurbish them too. It's encouraging but I don't think it's ultimately going to spawn a movement large enough to affect public policy. Certainly not here in Canada anyway.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dadspipes.com
Lee Pattison

PostSubject: Re: Pipes & Tobacco Magazine To End.   Pipes & Tobacco Magazine To End. EmptyWed Feb 20, 2019 12:06 pm

Canadian pipers, the best secret in your frozen north is pipe ( Calich) DUNHILL are all seconds to his make, to bad maker has departed to the happy hunting grounds!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JimInks

JimInks

PostSubject: Re: Pipes & Tobacco Magazine To End.   Pipes & Tobacco Magazine To End. EmptyWed Feb 20, 2019 12:29 pm

Lee Pattison wrote:
† † †Canadian pipers, the best secret in your frozen north is pipe ( Calich) DUNHILL are all seconds to his make, to bad †maker has departed to the happy hunting grounds!

You posts have nothing to do with the subject. Why are you doing that?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Pipes & Tobacco Magazine To End.   Pipes & Tobacco Magazine To End. EmptyWed Feb 20, 2019 7:12 pm

JimInks wrote:
Lee Pattison wrote:
† † †Canadian pipers, the best secret in your frozen north is pipe ( Calich) DUNHILL are all seconds to his make, to bad †maker has departed to the happy hunting grounds!

You posts have nothing to do with the subject. Why are you doing that?

Good point Jim.

Let's keep this on-topic or I'll start deleting posts.

Cheers,

RR the janitor

Back to top Go down
Lee Pattison

PostSubject: Re: Pipes & Tobacco Magazine To End.   Pipes & Tobacco Magazine To End. EmptyThu Feb 21, 2019 12:30 am

Sorry for "off topic posts, I am new to bob and had difficulty blending.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Pipes & Tobacco Magazine To End.
Page 1 of 1