HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Antique store disappointment

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Rail Man

Rail Man

Registration date : 2007-12-23

Antique store disappointment  Empty
PostSubject: Antique store disappointment    Antique store disappointment  EmptySun Mar 03, 2019 2:56 pm

I’m always looking for something special in antique store without much luck. Today was ALMOST an exception.

Antique store disappointment  F068b810

A Rad Davis ($65) and an American (Tinsky) Black and Tan ($35).

If they didn’t look like they had been run through a wood chipper I’d probably go for it, but there is so much damage to the briar I don’t believe it’s worth the prices, not to mention both would require replacement stems. Too bad!
Back to top Go down
Corncobcon

Corncobcon

Registration date : 2017-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Antique store disappointment    Antique store disappointment  EmptySun Mar 03, 2019 3:09 pm

Yeah, but they can be refinished! I probably would have gone for one of them. I see that railroad lantern in the background and am amazed at the $165.00 price tag. I have 5 of them hanging in my man cave and the most I have ever spent on one was 60 bucks!
Back to top Go down
Rail Man

Rail Man

Registration date : 2007-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Antique store disappointment    Antique store disappointment  EmptySun Mar 03, 2019 6:22 pm

If anyone couldn’t live without these pipes I’d be happy to supply the store info. Some big gouges in the briar.

I did find a Holland made Amphora apple in decent shape for 8 bucks. I’m going to attempt a restore on it and if it doesn’t work out, well it was only 8 bucks!

Antique store disappointment  7e7c9f10

Yea it seems like out here certain things are valued very high including RR lanterns. I wonder how they ever sell anything at some of these places.
Back to top Go down
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Antique store disappointment    Antique store disappointment  EmptySun Mar 03, 2019 7:54 pm

For those prices on two very celebrated carvers, it would surely behoove someone to take them on as a project. Rad Davis alone commands estate prices in the $300+ range. And Tinsky is no slouch either. Both could be re-rusticated and finished with the value retained. And both are great smoking machines.

Cheers,

RR

Antique store disappointment  Purple11x 2Antique store disappointment  Bombx10  Antique store disappointment  Bombx8 Antique store disappointment  D6bddf10 Antique store disappointment  44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d Antique store disappointment  Cowboy13

Site moderator and BoB Bomber's co-commander.
Back to top Go down
http://www.randereed.com Online
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Antique store disappointment    Antique store disappointment  EmptySun Mar 03, 2019 8:38 pm

Brewdude wrote:
For those prices on two very celebrated carvers, it would surely behoove someone to take them on as a project. Rad Davis alone commands estate prices in the $300+ range. And Tinsky is no slouch either. Both could be re-rusticated and finished with the value retained. And both are great smoking machines.

Cheers,

RR

Indeed!
Back to top Go down

Antique store disappointment
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: fishnbanjo & Friends Pipe Rack-
Jump to: