HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

A sign of the times

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Stick

Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

A sign of the times Empty
PostSubject: A sign of the times   A sign of the times EmptySat Mar 09, 2019 3:36 pm

I have a book that I like to visit often when I'm in need of a quick hit of some light hearted writing, Notes from a Big Country by Bill Bryson (1999), gifted to me by a thoroughly decent type. It's an easy read that has stand alone short chapters making it perfect for a quick dip.

This evening's chapter was titled Consuming Pleasures, where Bryson speaks of shopping being a way of life for some Americans, indeed, as he puts it, 'a national sport'.

He continues, '...three significant retailing developments in recent years have elevated the shopping experience to a higher and giddier plane. They are:

Telemarketing
Outlet Malls, and
Catalogues.'

I wonder what he'd make of the impact that the internet has on the retail world, and, say, Amazon? Suspect affraid
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: A sign of the times   A sign of the times EmptySat Mar 09, 2019 7:55 pm

Right you are Squire. Bryson is a most perceptive type isn't he. And he has a unique way with words as well...heh!

As you point out, much has changed since he penned that. I for one would relish a follow up to that one. I'm a huge Bryson fan!

I need to move this to the Book Shelf forum though. Seems a better place for it.

Wink

Cheers,

RR

A sign of the times Purple11x 2A sign of the times Bombx10A sign of the times BombA sign of the times BombA sign of the times D6bddf10 A sign of the times 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.randereed.com
GeoffC

GeoffC

Registration date : 2011-10-23

PostSubject: Re: A sign of the times   A sign of the times EmptySat Mar 09, 2019 11:19 pm

Wow. Still get telemarketing calls today. Heck I have got two robocalls from the D.C. area that was in Chinese. Not sure what that is about. Need a friend to translate that one next week out of curiosity. Outlet malls and even regular malls, haven't been to one in a very very long time. Internet pretty much killed the catalog. Still get P&C catalog but it isn't a buying trigger. Amazon owns a huge percentage of consumer commerce. I did a e-commerce site probably 10 years ago for a small business women and told her 5 years ago to just list on Amazon. The exposure is too great not too. A B&M I use to help out years ago uses Amazon for fulfillment because it is so cheap to do business with packing and shipping. Wonder what the next 20 years will be like . . .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: A sign of the times   A sign of the times EmptySun Mar 10, 2019 5:23 am

Brewdude wrote:
Right you are Squire. Bryson is a most perceptive type isn't he. And he has a unique way with words as well...heh!

As you point out, much has changed since he penned that. I for one would relish a follow up to that one. I'm a huge Bryson fan!

I need to move this to the Book Shelf forum though. Seems a better place for it.

Wink

Cheers,

RR

Ah, yes, quite. Thanks old bean.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

A sign of the times
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Related Pursuits :: The Book Shelf-
Jump to: