HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Amphora Apple Project

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Rail Man

Rail Man

Registration date : 2007-12-23

The Amphora Apple Project  Empty
PostSubject: The Amphora Apple Project    The Amphora Apple Project  EmptyTue Mar 12, 2019 10:06 am

A short time back I picked up an Amphora apple at an antique store for $8. I’ve been looking for a cheap pipe to attempt a restore on and this fit the bill.

The Amphora Apple Project  0d381410

The pipe wasn’t in too bad of shape to start with with mild oxidation on the stem, scratches around the bowl, a little faded stain, and some buildup on the rim. Reaming to wood, a deep cleaning, and alcohol/cotton ball treatment came first. I used Walker Briarworks stem restore product to remove the oxidation from the stem. Since I wanted some experience with staining I removed the original stain with a soak in isopropyl alcohol (which also doubled to remove the tar buildup on the rim). Scratches were taken care of with micro mesh pads. The bowl was then stained and buffed.

The Amphora Apple Project  8766d810
The Amphora Apple Project  D393db10

It’s not perfect but for a first attempt I’m pretty satisfied with it. I certainly learned a few things, which was the primary goal. The next step is to give it a test smoke and see how it goes, but even it doesn’t smoke worth a damn it was a cheap learning experience!
Back to top Go down
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: The Amphora Apple Project    The Amphora Apple Project  EmptyTue Mar 12, 2019 10:20 am

For a first attempt that looks first rate Rail Man!

Cool

Cheers,

RR

The Amphora Apple Project  Purple11x 2The Amphora Apple Project  Bombx10  The Amphora Apple Project  Bombx8 The Amphora Apple Project  D6bddf10 The Amphora Apple Project  44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d The Amphora Apple Project  Cowboy13

Site moderator and BoB Bomber's co-commander.
Back to top Go down
http://www.randereed.com
peanubutter

peanubutter

Registration date : 2019-01-20

PostSubject: Re: The Amphora Apple Project    The Amphora Apple Project  EmptyTue Mar 12, 2019 12:12 pm

I think you did a great job on the pipe and I have been toying with the same idea.
Back to top Go down
Rail Man

Rail Man

PostSubject: Re: The Amphora Apple Project    The Amphora Apple Project  EmptyTue Mar 12, 2019 12:42 pm

Thanks guy! Peanubutter I’d definitely go for it if I were you, just jumping right in (with a little research of course) wasn’t as intimidating as I thought it may be, and it’s fun and rewarding.
Back to top Go down
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: The Amphora Apple Project    The Amphora Apple Project  EmptyTue Mar 12, 2019 1:50 pm

For 8 bucks you came up with a nice pipe! Looks great!
Back to top Go down
SourMilk

SourMilk

Registration date : 2018-03-01

PostSubject: Re: The Amphora Apple Project    The Amphora Apple Project  EmptyTue Mar 12, 2019 4:51 pm

Looks good! For $8 and a little elbow grease you got a great deal. I’ve been wanting to do the same but I’m lazy and have other projects to complete first, maybe for next winter.

I’d be interested in pics/stories/tips of any others you do in the future.
Back to top Go down
Stick

Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: The Amphora Apple Project    The Amphora Apple Project  EmptyTue Mar 12, 2019 5:08 pm

Hey, great job Rail Man! That cleaned up really well. Classic shape too!
Back to top Go down
GeoffC

GeoffC

Registration date : 2011-10-23

PostSubject: Re: The Amphora Apple Project    The Amphora Apple Project  EmptyTue Mar 12, 2019 8:05 pm

Right on! Nicely done!
Back to top Go down
Corncobcon

Corncobcon

Registration date : 2017-10-15

PostSubject: Re: The Amphora Apple Project    The Amphora Apple Project  EmptyTue Mar 12, 2019 8:57 pm

Nice cleanup! It's hard to beat that classic apple shape!
Back to top Go down
Rail Man

Rail Man

PostSubject: Re: The Amphora Apple Project    The Amphora Apple Project  EmptyTue Mar 12, 2019 11:33 pm

Thanks everyone! I hope to do another someday in the future and I will post the results here.
Back to top Go down
huffelpuff

huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: The Amphora Apple Project    The Amphora Apple Project  EmptyWed Mar 13, 2019 10:44 pm

There's nothing quite as nice as rescuing an old war horse from oblivion. Great job on the restore and what a lovely shape. Hope it smokes as good as it looks.

Jim
Back to top Go down

The Amphora Apple Project
Page 1 of 1